Certified Tree Risk Assessor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know CA's in the area that have never climbed a tree and yet run a large operating tree biz with untrained and unqualified tree workers who still top trees and don't understand how to make proper reduction cuts. This really pisses me off, how can you truely know a tree and all aspects of it if you've never been in one.

I'm coming up on my 3 yr recertification in december. This really bugs me wether it's all worth it to be apart of anymore, the only thing I look forward too out of this whole deal is receiving the "arborist news" and the TCI magazine which I don't need and ISA cert to get anyways. I seem to just spend money in order to keep that little logo on my biz cards.

Like Jeff, I'm calling BS on 3 CA's not knowing a pin oak from a silver maple. There's something missing from that story--no offense, sg.

None taken. I couldn't believe it either, until the HO showed me the bid, all 3 are at same company. Straight up, they said maple. Lady and her neighbors said the were wrong too, and then they dropped the "I am a CA" on them, still not believing that the tree she had planted some 40-50 years ago, all that time, it was not a oak, so she called me and one other CA who is pretty good, I was the last one to show. I dint get the job, other good dude did. But she said other good dude said same thing I did, something is wrong if they don't know. It could have been a case of them purposely telling her that, it was still warm, not time for the oaks, they might have been trying to get her to prune it then instead of waiting till winter, maybe that's why they were telling her it was a maple, so they could work. I dunno.
My point to it is, they read a book, over and over, to prep for a test. With little or no experience, they passed. Now they are out doing that type of stuff. What do you think that lady thinks of the certification now. She had 5 CA's, 3 didn't know. Does not look good for the rest of us. Tree ID is important. The test needs to be harder

These are the same guys that I was talking about going to hardly anything but competitions, that gives them the belief that they know what they are doing. They passed a book test and can climb a tree fast, but they have no clue about the trees themselves, or how to care for them. They work very little, but I see their work, when they do it, they suck, even reported a topping they did to the ISA, but nothing happened. That's 3 annual memberships to them. So they are still out there, dropping bad knowledge every where they go, cheapening the title.

To them, the CA was nothing more than a piece of paper to get them work. We need the paper, but not guys like that. If the test had prac app, they would have never passed. On safety alone, they would have failed miserably. Also same guys that dropped a chunk from a crane onto one of them, breaking his leg. Instead of stopping, they continued, then they dropped a chunk on a roof. Didnt make it thru, but put a big hole on the top. They are champion hackers, but they are also CA's.

I think we all agree the CA test, and the CEU criteria, should be strengthened.

Factcheck: ISA certs do NOT require membership. I know several CA's who lapsed their membership.
Maybe you 2 are confusing it with ASCA.

Like Jeff, I'm calling BS on 3 CA's not knowing a pin oak from a silver maple. There's something missing from that story--no offense, sg.

And again, field testing and ID are not in the test because they cannot be taught or checked the same for everybody, so they would not be "fair". I don't like this either. If anyone here knows how to do that, they could run the whole show. It's done in oz but their cert is hugely expensive.

Why call BS on it? I work for DRG consulting on First Energy property & have seen first hand certified & degreed people not know an Oak from a Maple, Had a BA call a norway maple an Ash!.........a Forester call a cherry a Maple!!!! how bout that?

I remember ACRT work planners mis-identifying trees all the time, I also know landscapers who have exageratted on the application form so they could sit the exam.........if they Lie to get the credential imagine what they do when they have it?

Last night I actually went through the BCMA requirements, 8 points needed & I qualify........however, do I take the exam & hope this is it? or will there be a BCMA II come out, ETC... I dont feel like wasting time & money on something that will be todays prize & tommorrows joke! Im really gonna have to give consideration to testing for it......cost is $450 Isa & chapter member or $550 for Isa member only, plus 60 CEU`s over 3 years satisfying certain categories

Sgreanbeans..........hit it right on!! Make the test matter even if it means less people have the credential, Id rather that be the case than everyone being able to get it............what does it really mean when anyone & everyone can obtain it, it loses its clout. Home owners barely if at all know about the Arborist credential let alone explaining to them BCMA,

As far as The ID part goes................I say we revert back to the way the NAA tested, ahh...but that would mean a huge decline in certified Arbs (maybe even myself), would surely get rid of the non-climbers (yay) & would be a respected Cert once again........But I guess members, money & the want to monopolize have set the rules!

I wouldnt be surprised if another entity came out with a Cert process that would rival ISA & TCIA............maybe even be better, ya gotta admit they do have a monopoly on the tree cert program!!

LXT................

Originally Posted by Pelorus

Former buddy of mine became ISA CA by virtue of working at a Club Link golf course for 6 or 7 months.
Zero previous tree work experience/minimal knowledge.
Kinda cheapens the credential when a big corporation can fudge little details to circumvent prerequisites & nobody is the wiser.

Originally Posted by jefflovstrom

I am calling total BS on this.
Jeff

Call it what you want, Jeff.
If anyone has access to the Ontario ISA chapter arhives, & looks back around 8 - 10 years ago, look for a Dave Al.......way listed who was from the Muskoka area. He never kept up his certification after the initial three years elapsed.

I have no reason to doubt what he told me.

or will there be a BCMA II come out,

After 7 years there is no sign of this

Make the test matter even if it means less people have the credential, Id rather that be the case than everyone being able to get it.........

Totally agree
If anyone gets in by fraud they should be outed

owners barely if at all know about the Arborist credential let alone explaining to them BCMA,

in this market a lot know about CA and BCMA

... get rid of the non-climbers (yay)

Yes all that can should get up there and see and touuch the trees but Discriminating against the disabled would not fly

, money & the want to monopolize have set the rules!
I wouldnt be surprised if another entity came out with a Cert process that would rival ISA & TCIA......gotta admit they do have a monopoly

2 have a monopoly? Ox E Moron alleging a conspiracy I#385 on this thread
there is a dictator dude in Australia trying just that
To little effect

How many years was the CA cert the top of the pile? then came the BCMA...... so cant say it wont happen!!

Monopoly..........read the definition, you dont think ISA & TCIA have a foot hold in this market & are working together to keep it that way?

Sorry handicapped people are limited in the trades......Dont care about color, religion, physical disorders, etc... If you cannot do it then you cant do it!!! sorry, you have these requirements to fill & if you cant...you dont get certified. Thats this countries problem...lets be politically correct to a point that it creates our own down fall........Look at the deficit....I can fix that in minutes: take away all politicians fringe benefits, make em pay for their health care & deductibles just like the rest of us, no free travel, communication, haircuts, etc.. 2 terms & go back to work in the private sector like what was suppose to happen & roll your pension over into a 401K like the rest of america so you can worry about losing money too

Ohhh & welfare is temporary & only for those who have worked & lost a job....not because some idiots keep having children...6 months of welfare & then you`re done, more than 2 kids....sorry, you havent worked in 10 yrs...oh well......Good Luck!

on top of all that BS, lets think about manufacturing stuff right here in the good ole USA................But NO.....lets be politically correct, screw those who work hard, EARN what they have & tax em to death!!!

Now rant is over.................If you cant do the job & meet the requirements......Sorry! Move ON

LXT...................

Well............. I thought I had posted this before I left town, must not have hit the button.

My idea on how to fix the testing. Want the CA, first pass the written test, if you pass, then you become a certified member. I would have to believe that every chapter has a BCMA, You contact BCMA to proctor test. Test is scheduled every month at chapter HQ. Testee must provide own gear or arrange with BCMA. Testee must demonstrate to BCMA a set amount of line items, like soil, PHC, biology,rigging, climbing,saws, etc, basically, a bit form each subject from the written test. Tree ID is as easy as picking a big park and identifying as you walk thru, then explain what issues they have and how to move forward with any issues found. Set up rigging, but no cutting. Tie in and walk around, hitting certain points designated by BCMA. BCMA gets compensated for time, set fee via ISA. If you have to travel, so be it. Kids travel to get their degrees, we can too.
Want BCMA?, pass written exam, then go for prac app, also Proctored by BCMA, but board of them, say 3, if you don't have that many, video the prac app and send via the world wide web to other chapters, all agree that your good, then your good. BCMA'S get compensated for that as well. The testing may cost more, but still peanuts to a BA (believe me!got one in school now) I would have to believe that the BCMA's would be more than happy to help, I would think they would like to invest a little time in their own industry, to make sure we are getting good guys.
Tree ID is as simple as knowing what is in your state or region. That is fair, if you go to some other area, well grab a book and start studying. Besides ID'ing from the hip, 25 commons or so, then demonstrate how to find the ones you don't know. Via the books. You don't have to know them all, think that would be impossible, but you had better know the ones in your area. All others, you should know how to get the info.

Maybe I am wrong, I just don't think that it would be to hard. I am willing to pay more, if it means that the CA and BCMA have more weight and we get rid of the fakers and impostors. When and if I get the BCMA, which I am going for. I would be happy to do it.

The handicapped, sorry, choose to be a botanist or something of the same. If you were a CA and then handicapped, different story, once you have it, its yours. Cant travel to test, better get that figured out on your own. If BCMA agrees to come to your neck of woods, that would be on him. You maybe lucky and have one local. BTW, all BCMA's should be able to proctor prac app test's.

Altogether, you might have a few grand wrapped up in it. I just paid $2500 for a qtr for my son, 14 more times and he is done, again, a few thousand to get the good paper is peanuts compared to a university.

Last edited:
I like your thinking
You need to talk to the cert committee

"
Altogether, you might have a few grand wrapped up in it. I just paid $2500 for a qtr for my son, 14 more times and he is done, again, a few thousand to get the good paper is peanuts compared to a university.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain
Mine graduates next month
That puts the expense of certs in perspective

I like your thinking
You need to talk to the cert committee

"
Altogether, you might have a few grand wrapped up in it. I just paid $2500 for a qtr for my son, 14 more times and he is done, again, a few thousand to get the good paper is peanuts compared to a university.

I feel your pain
Mine graduates next month
That puts the expense of certs in perspective[/QUOTE]

I don't think they would listen to me, it would be have to be someone with way more pull than me, IMO, to get to the right person, maybe you! I would, if they would listen. I know my place, so I would not want to bring something like that to them, unless I knew they were serous about it.

Congrats on the kid, 1 going, 2 more to go:cry::cry::cry::cry: JK, I live the way I do, to provide for them, if it causes me pain to make sure they have a better life than me, im good with that. Hopefully my youngest, gets a UFC title in a few years! Then he can pay for us! BOHAHAHAHAHA (Dr Evil laugh) My master plan!

I live in a tristate area and im getting my cert through SD. Their cert is for three years and you need 18CEU's to keep your cert. They have workshops which John Ball teaches, he is on the board for the midwest ISA. The last workshop me and my main guy went to he encouraged me to get my ISA cert as well. I think around here customers will recognize a local state cert more than the ISA. I will probly get my ISA as well.

or will there be a BCMA II come out,

After 7 years there is no sign of this

Well I hope that in time we may have an ISA University of Arboriculture

there is a dictator dude in Australia trying just that To little effect
Tell me more. I am unaware of any person in authority in Australia trying to create a monopoly but there certainly are a few paranoid arborists here that believe that ever improving standards and qualifications are not good for the profession at least not good for them. I certainly feel challenged by the increasing standards of education here, but I think that is good. As has been pointed out, it is cheaper than getting a degree and I think I am better at my job as a result of learning more

Ha ha ha!
Yeah, I am un-aware too!!!
Jeff :msp_razz:

He will probably ban me know--lol

I don't consider a self appointed authority and leader of a new organisation that represents the burning desires of so many arborists throughout Australia (all 3 of them) as someone who wants to run a monopoly except a monopoly on self appreciation.

Certifications

I read this entire thread today. Consequently, I did not get much work done. With Christmas in a few days, there isn't a whole lot of work to do; peole just don't want something else to deal with around the holidays. I see both side of this because I feel strongly both ways. I consider myself a professional with paper to back it up. I do land some high-end jobs that care, but the bulk of the work is low bid - sad, but true. Most of our clients do not know or care about ISA, TCIA, or any other letters.

A little history: I started out as a lawn mower, then got into land scraping, and found myself doing tree work. I no longer climb, but the experience helps. I had no idea what ISA or CA was until the city arborist got me involved in some education (I think Ed Gilman was the guest speaker), which led down a nice path. Not long after I was certified, I received a call from a commercial outfit that needed a CA to work on a big oak tree. Without the certification, I would not have had the opportunity. Turns out, it was the state champ live oak for Alabama and the largest tree in Alabama. CA opens doors. I have a landscape designer with a degree in Landscape Architecture that has worked for me for several years. He recently sat for the exam and passed. He has never climbed or handled a saw.

Does Certified Arborist = tree climber? No; there is another certification for that. But do people expect the CA to know about trees? Yes; of course they do. Unfortunately, like many of you... our typical call goes something like this: "We have a tree problem and need you to fix it." It may be dead limbs, a dead tree, a diseased tree, etc... I love getting the calls before there is a problem because we can do more for a tree with protection than you can by climbing it. I am not knocking climbing (pruning, inspection, etc...); it is needed, but often a prescription to a problem. Where we need to be going is preventive care. The people that are involved in this do not necessarily need to be climbers. We need people in the offices that know full well where trees' root systems are and what can be done to protect the trees, instead of tying a ribbon around it to "save" a tree. Look at where the tree problems come from: site developers, engineers, architects, landscape architects, designers, utility installers, irrigation installers, construction workers, landscape contractors, lawn maintenance crews, pesticide applicators, and even homewowners. I do not see a problem with more people obtaining certification, or at least education. At the same time, I agree the qualifications and test should be difficult enough to weed out the people that give us a bad reputation.

I am not volunteering to assess the risk of someone's tree unless I am being paid to do so or there is a safety issue with putting a climber in it. Typical call:
Caller: We have a tree problem
Office: Is it something you need advice, consultation, or inspection? Or where you looking for an estimate?

If the caller is looking for a professional to pay to look at the tree(s), they get me for a price. If the caller is looking for a free estimate, they get someone to give a free estimate. My guys know what to look for, but ultimately they are there to give a price on what the customer wants. If I go to give a free estimate, and the customer needs more info, I offer a consult (for a fee). I am not giving away advice or doing free hazard evaluations. If you need a price on removing the dead limbs, getting the limbs off the roof, or removing a 100 year old tree, here is your quote. If you need to talk about it or help making a decision on what to do, that will cost ya'. There is some gray area there, but we try to eliminate it. Think about this: If you have some pain in your side, you pay a doctor to look at you, even if that doctor can't tell you what is wrong, tells you nothing is wrong, or correctly identifies the problem. Point is, he gets paid regardless. Then, you might get referred to another doctor: same thing. If you need surgery, you pay to interview the surgeon. If you like him, you pay him to do the surgery. Why is it such a foreign concept to pay professionals for their services AND ADVICE?

I welcome your responses, but remember... we are professionals, so let's make sure to act like it. :bang:

Nice website. I see what your saying, but by definition a Arborist should be able to do all aspects of tree work. Climbing included. Doesn't mean they have to, but they should know how. I want to quit climbing (body is wrecked), but I cant. I would much rather work for a big show, like Jeff and do just consultations, sales and ops. But, I know that in a pinch, I could get back up there.
I agree with the call scenario, there is definitely gray areas there, and we all handle those differently. I get a call for a bid, get there, and they want me to walk the yard and give them a consultation on the spot for free. We have been trying to change this, but its not easy. We have lots of tree services that claim to be arbs, but are far from it, they will walk a yard for hours with a customer, filling them up with total BS, trying to sign the deal. That sets a bad precedence for the rest who bid, as they expect all to walk with them. I find my self explaining what the difference is between bids and a consultation. I then loose the job to a hack, who has the time to do a bs consultation for free. Spewing terms like topping and pruning bevels. Its not that I don't want to do them, I do, I want to get paid for them. I find that I will walk with them, let them know what needs to be done, then they tell the hack what they want done, based off what I told them, then they hire him because he is way cheaper then me. So I spent a little time with them for free. I am sure this happens to all of us, and it will never go away. I have begun to tell them, the minute that they start walking the yard, that if they want me to walk, they gotta pay, if they have me do the work, then it is free.

Tree Service Alabama

I feel your pain. And there are lots of times I see things on the property or want to tell a client something, but they are not willing to pay me for my expert advice/opinion/consultation/inspection, so the tree suffers. And if I do give my feeling on a project, it always comes back to bite me in the bu++ because someone throws me under the bus for "blaming" them for something that was his fault (like the landscaper that planted the trees too deep and left the straps on or the plumber that trenched through the root system of the customer's prize tree). As I stated, having the ability to send someone else to do a free estimate helps tremendously. Customers try to buck the system by getting me to come out for an estimate, then trying to pick my brain or getting me to come out for a paid consult, then trying to get out of paying. Seriously, what is your tree worth? Are you really saving any money by trying to squeeze me or by favoring free advice from the suspender snapper (no offense)? Unfortunately, in this industry, if you can get a riding mower in the back of a pickup truck, people think you are an expert on everything outdoors: carpentry, fertilizer, pesticides, tree care, design, planting, roof repair... it is plain rediculous.
Customer: My tree is sick. I want you to tell me what is wrong with it and what it will take to fix it.
Arborist: That is a consult, and it will cost you.
Customer: I am not willing to pay you to tell me about my tree. You should do that for free.
Arborist: You can either pay me for my expertise and I will provide a detailed plan of what needs to be done, some of which you can do yourself or have someone else do; or I will give you a free estimate for the work, but I will not tell you what we are going to do.

Of course that always goes over like pickled pigs feet at a suburban daycare, but I am not putting my self on the line for free to give solutions to their problem that they will have someone else do (the wrong way, I might add). But people are use to getting certain things free, like water in a drive-thru. When the restaurant tries to charge ten cents to cover the cost of the cup, employee, etc..., people get all upset. But they are fine to pay $2 for a bottled water. Most other professions, the professional is paid just for showing up (i.e. plumber, electrician, HVAC, and more). They get paid to diagnose the problem and give an estimate. If you want the work done, it is more. That's a beutiful system. Doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc... have the same system, except they don't come to you; you have to set an appointment, come to them, then wait (sometimes for very long times) to see someone, then pay them for seeing you. We (as a profession) are idiots. We drive huge trucks to the middle of nowhere, give free advice, put ourselves out their with liability, then give free estimates; and we don't get paid for any of it. That is insanity! And generally, we (as a profession) are willing to discount our work to the point of losing money just to stay busy. That is even crazier! But if we don't, some guy with a pickup and a lawnmower will beat our price and get the work. We really have to fix this. I am not sure what can be done, but we are fighting a losing battle. Again, take the doctor: he has people lined up in the lobby, many of which have the same appointment times (how is that even possible). Poeple come to him. He can see 50-100 people a day without going anywhere; and he gets paid for seeing each one of them, whether he helps or not. We, on the other hand, have to drive to each location, spend a rediculous amount of time with each customer, then allow enough time to get to the next appointment. If we are good, we might be able to see ten customers in a day, but the number is more realistically closer to three or four... and that is if all you are doing is selling. If you are trying to run a crew/business or do the work yourself, your time is limited even more. And we generally get paid nothing for that day of running around burning fuel. But how do we fix that? We can't bring our customers to us. If we tell them "Estimates are $XX," they just call the next guy that will do it for free. I don't have a solution... other than going to medical school.

I dont entirely agree with the Arborist=tree climber=NO! response!

Not to be ignorant but what you have mentioned in your experience level just goes to prove a point that many have been making, How without working in tree care specifically can you even sit the CA exam?

I dont care if you mow a million lawns & trim a million shrubs with an entry level tree thrown in here & there.......the only way the cert will make an impact is if it in & of itself is regulated so that the criteria to be met is truly met!!! I know many who dont even meet the criteria to sit the exam.....but exaggerated to a point that they were allowed & now are a fella Arborist...CERTIFIED!!

The fact is this: if you lack the ability to perform at a basic level all aspects of tree care & think that book smarts will surfice then you should not be an Arborist.........call it politically incorrect but hey I dont want a one handed brain surgeon who is blind in one eye operating on me!!!! if this happened after the fact & he fulfilled an experience level that was satisfactory then I dont see a problem with him being in the room to give advice & consult......but to have never physically participated in what he is consulting on or just plain talking about................well thats just wrong!!

you question can best be answered by using the anology: does a doctor = a nurse= yes & much more!! does a nurse = an orderly = Yes & much more...........the point is for each of these professionals to get to where they are they had to do the same duties as those who are under them................But in tree care, why is it that many dont think this applies?

LXT............

I dont entirely agree with the Arborist=tree climber=NO! response!

Not to be ignorant but what you have mentioned in your experience level just goes to prove a point that many have been making, How without working in tree care specifically can you even sit the CA exam?

I dont care if you mow a million lawns & trim a million shrubs with an entry level tree thrown in here & there.......the only way the cert will make an impact is if it in & of itself is regulated so that the criteria to be met is truly met!!! I know many who dont even meet the criteria to sit the exam.....but exaggerated to a point that they were allowed & now are a fella Arborist...CERTIFIED!!

The fact is this: if you lack the ability to perform at a basic level all aspects of tree care & think that book smarts will surfice then you should not be an Arborist.........call it politically incorrect but hey I dont want a one handed brain surgeon who is blind in one eye operating on me!!!! if this happened after the fact & he fulfilled an experience level that was satisfactory then I dont see a problem with him being in the room to give advice & consult......but to have never physically participated in what he is consulting on or just plain talking about................well thats just wrong!!

you question can best be answered by using the anology: does a doctor = a nurse= yes & much more!! does a nurse = an orderly = Yes & much more...........the point is for each of these professionals to get to where they are they had to do the same duties as those who are under them................But in tree care, why is it that many dont think this applies?

LXT............

Assuming that was directed to me, I don't mind answering it. I see your point. I think hands-on experience is irreplaceable. Just for the record, I do have hands-on experience... not just with landscaping, but with tree care too... even before I took the exam. My designer, on the other hand, did not have the hands-on experience, but he is making waves in "right plant, right place," nursery plant selection, proper planting specifications, etc... But I also understand that the CA cert is not just for tree climbers. Sure, it helps to understand that skill, but the arborist certification covers much more. And as I stated at least once already, there are sooooo many things we can do for trees that don't involve climbing. For example, planting... this is the bulk of the replacement tree problems come from (girdling roots, straps, depth, etc...). Protection - how about keeping a tree from being damaged? Personally, I would like to see arborist certification by nursery growers, designers, architects, engineers, landscapers, pest control services, contractors, tree protectors, inspectors, AND tree climbers. The power of the pen is great, and it is unrealistic to think an engineer would take a break to climb trees with a chainsaw to earn a certification that better enables him to protect trees from root damage or compaction.

Assuming that was directed to me, I don't mind answering it. I see your point. I think hands-on experience is irreplaceable. Just for the record, I do have hands-on experience... not just with landscaping, but with tree care too... even before I took the exam. My designer, on the other hand, did not have the hands-on experience, but he is making waves in "right plant, right place," nursery plant selection, proper planting specifications, etc... But I also understand that the CA cert is not just for tree climbers. Sure, it helps to understand that skill, but the arborist certification covers much more. And as I stated at least once already, there are sooooo many things we can do for trees that don't involve climbing. For example, planting... this is the bulk of the replacement tree problems come from (girdling roots, straps, depth, etc...). Protection - how about keeping a tree from being damaged? Personally, I would like to see arborist certification by nursery growers, designers, architects, engineers, landscapers, pest control services, contractors, tree protectors, inspectors, AND tree climbers. The power of the pen is great, and it is unrealistic to think an engineer would take a break to climb trees with a chainsaw to earn a certification that better enables him to protect trees from root damage or compaction.

Well.......yes my comment/post was directed to you, However you really didnt answer the questions or prove your point, actually you proved my point............your "designer didnt have hands on experience" ya see here is the problem with the CA Cert!

what is your experience & does it meet the required criteria? you have already stated your designer really has no tree care experience...........But now he is certified? Lets re-visit what arborist certification covers & make that the base for the Cert!

yes, all you have mentioned is part of it.....just like the Doctor still needs to examine your urine/stool.........is that beyond him cause he is a doctor now? I guess by your statement pertaining to the engineer...........that those who reach the pinnacle of their profession shouldnt have to start at ground level??? I guess doctors should blow off the lab part of their training....no need to get their hands dirty, is this the mentality Now?????

Bottom line is: untill Arborists are degreed the certification is really an un-necessary, voluntary attempt at one bettering their knowledge base pertaining to their field along with hands on field experience aloft as well......! you think that engineer doesnt get called out & made to go 40 stories up cause his plans just dont work at that altitude & adjustments need made?

Ya see.........Tree climbers as you put it are the foundation & backbone of this industry, when it comes down to it a tree climber will be more sought out than a non-working/climbing arborist.............IMHO, any one with a turd for a brain can talk about something they`ve never done...................what happens when they need to show someone how to do it? ah thats right they gotta hire a tree climber.........plain & simple: if you cant climb or you dont meet the requirements to sit the exam....then you shouldnt be an Arborist!

I would bet 90% of the CA`s right now would fail the original NAA exam for the Arborist credential.....its just a watered down give us your money right to call yourself certified!

I think you should read the last line in the 1st paragraph on you website under tree care!!!! BTW, was the exam for the CA really what you made it out to be? cause I think a 9th grader could study for it & pass..........literally!!

LXT..............

Last edited:
ISA Certification

Well.......yes my comment/post was directed to you, However you really didnt answer the questions or prove your point, actually you proved my point............your "designer didnt have hands on experience" ya see here is the problem with the CA Cert!

what is your experience & does it meet the required criteria? you have already stated your designer really has no tree care experience...........But now he is certified? Lets re-visit what arborist certification covers & make that the base for the Cert!

yes, all you have mentioned is part of it.....just like the Doctor still needs to examine your urine/stool.........is that beyond him cause he is a doctor now? I guess by your statement pertaining to the engineer...........that those who reach the pinnacle of their profession shouldnt have to start at ground level??? I guess doctors should blow off the lab part of their training....no need to get their hands dirty, is this the mentality Now?????

Bottom line is: untill Arborists are degreed the certification is really an un-necessary, voluntary attempt at one bettering their knowledge base pertaining to their field along with hands on field experience aloft as well......! you think that engineer doesnt get called out & made to go 40 stories up cause his plans just dont work at that altitude & adjustments need made?

Ya see.........Tree climbers as you put it are the foundation & backbone of this industry, when it comes down to it a tree climber will be more sought out than a non-working/climbing arborist.............IMHO, any one with a turd for a brain can talk about something they`ve never done...................what happens when they need to show someone how to do it? ah thats right they gotta hire a tree climber.........plain & simple: if you cant climb or you dont meet the requirements to sit the exam....then you shouldnt be an Arborist!

I would bet 90% of the CA`s right now would fail the original NAA exam for the Arborist credential.....its just a watered down give us your money right to call yourself certified!

LXT..............

LXT,
You come across as abrasive. I am trying to contribute to the thread. I agree climbers are important; I just don't agree that it is or should be a requirement to become certified as an arborist. Now, to be certified as a Tree Worker - Climber Specialist, you have to climb; if you only have one arm or you are stuck in a wheelchair, you get no breaks... you have to climb.

However, for the Arborist Certification, here is the application:
http://www.isa-arbor.com/certification/resources/cert_Application_CertifiedArborist.pdf

From it:
Examination Eligibility Requirement
The ISA Certification Board requires candidates to have a minimum of three years of full-time experience
in arboriculture. Acceptable experience includes the practical use of knowledge involved in
pruning, fertilization, installation and establishment, diagnosis and treatment of tree problems, cabling
and bracing, climbing, or other services that directly relate to arboriculture. Examples of experience
sources include, but are not limited to,
• tree care companies • utility personnel
• nursery personnel • instructors of arboriculture/horticulture
• landscape personnel • horticultural/extension advisors
• municipalities • consulting arborists
• state forestry personnel • pest control advisors/applicators
The eligibility requirement also may be satisfied with a two-year degree in arboriculture and two years
of practical experience or a four-year degree in a related field and one year of practical experience.
If you are self-employed or own your own company, you will be required to submit three letters of
references with your application.

---------------------------------------------
I went with the experience route. I am still a couple credits away from the 2-year degree that I haven't had time to finish. My 4-year degree is in an unrelated field. My designer went with the 4-yr (related field) degree/min. 1 year experience route.

Althouth I could have qualified with landscape experience alone, I did have several years of tree business experience under my belt as well, which did include climbing for pruning and removal. I admit that before I knew better, I did some pretty nasty work, including heavy over-lifting and lion's-tailing. I cringe to think of some of the things I was paid to do to trees. I wish I had the training/knowledge/certification before doing tree work; that way I would have know what I was doing.

From ISA's website:
Brochure on Why Hire An Arborist

Trees Are Good - Tree Care Information
What Is a Certified Arborist?

An arborist by definition is an individual who is trained in the art and science of planting, caring for, and maintaining individual trees. ISA arborist certification is a nongovernmental, voluntary process by which individuals can document their base of knowledge. It operates without mandate of law and is an internal, self-regulating device administered by the International Society of Arboriculture. Certification provides a measurable assessment of an individual’s knowledge and competence required to provide proper tree care.

Certification is not a measure of standards of practice. Certification can attest to the tree knowledge of an individual but cannot guarantee or ensure quality performance.

Certified Arborists are individuals who have achieved a level of knowledge in the art and science of tree care through experience and by passing a comprehensive examination developed by some of the nation’s leading experts on tree care. Certified Arborists must also continue their education to maintain their certification. Therefore, they are more likely to be up to date on the latest techniques in arboriculture
--------------------------

The claim is never made that arborists are climbers. Although many are, not all are. The continuing education has been very important to me. My first years as a CA I had over 100 ceu's (125 to be exact), but I have since slacked off some. I probably still get about 50 per year though.

What was the next question.... ah, yes... Do I think people should skip the ground level? Of course not. I think the CEO of the burger joint needs to know how to flip burgers. But, again... climbing is not a requirement for someone to grow trees, plant trees, design where they go, plan construction around them, etc... There is a perception in this country that "Tree services just cut trees - pruning or removal, but that's about it; and any cuts are harmful." I imagine that is true for many companies, but there is much more to tree care. Even those tree pruning cuts can be made in a way that helps the tree grow stronger structurally. But there are all the other things too - planting, inspection, root pruning, air excavation, pest control, fertilization, aerating, protection, and more. In general (and I know you will take offense to this, but think about it for a minute), a fence company can do more for a tree than a tree climber. I say this because often the pruning is reactionary to dead wood as a result of cut roots, compaction, and the like. A fence installed around the tree can prevent all those things from happening - at least during construction, when most of the damage occurs. For the same reason, a knowledgeable arborist can do more for the tree by protecting it than by pruning it. I am not downplaying the need of the climber; climbers are a necessary part of tree care, but so is the guy drawing the plans and the guy reading the soil sample. I am sure you think I forgot about all the great things climbers do, like reduction pruning, directional pruning, identifying things that cannot be seen from the ground or from a bucket, etc...(no one could list them all). I know climbers are important, but so are the other fields of arboriculture.

Last edited:
Back