Chain/bar temperature, non-sprocket bar -Sthil MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattFL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first saw with a non-sprocket bar and the bar and chain get really hot (too hot to touch) after just 10-20 seconds of light revving with no load. By feel, the heat seems most concentrated near the tip of the bar. Is this normal for a non-sprocket bar? My previous saws (inexpensive Poulan 18") have sprocket tipped bars and they never seemed to get hot at all.

The back story; I just acquired a low hour but neglected MS361 from a family member who had it sitting for several years, so I'm checking it out to see if it's usable. It started right up and appears to run well, but the chain was rusted so I replaced it with a brand new Stihl chain with the numbers "3623 005 0072" and "33RS 72" on the box (given to me by the guy at the local Stihl dealer). The bar is the Stihl original 20" and appears to be in OK shape. The new chain appears to fit fine, I can spin it around the bar by hand and there does not appear to be any unusual resistance. The oiler seems to be working as when the chain is spinning it's throwing oil, and it's no tighter than I've adjusted chains on my other (sprocket tipped) saws for years; under the bar it's in the groove, but the link sides are hanging a couple of mm below the bar edge. I put 10-30 motor oil in the oil tank just to see if it works (ran out of bar oil). Going by feel, the heat seems to be building up most at the tip of the bar. Is this normal for a non-sprocket bar?

Latest posts

Back