Chain Break On Or Off?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely brake on. You don't want to be worrying about having your saw start itself up during the night, jump down off the shelf, cut through the wall of your shop and chase down helpless children, cutting them to bloody pieces. Think how awful that would be.

Seriously?

Leaving the brake on when the saw is not in use will actually extend the life of the chain brake spring as the tension is somewhat released from it during storage. :givebeer:

Well there were 3 camps on this question.

1. Brake off to help the crank seal live longer
2. Break on so the break spring has maximum pressure
3. Possessed saw's that have to be kept in a safe and buried in the ground so they don't self start, run a muck and cut limbs off unsuspecting people......

Thanks for the replies.

Well, setting aside the zombie saw issue.... There are like 3 springs in my 142 chain brake, and I'm not sure which position they are most relaxed in. I would hope they designed these things so the springs are not seeing a high stress level in either position, so there should not be much problem with creep or relaxation. Here is a good article on that subject: Mechanical-Spring-Failure-Modes

Leaving the brake on when the saw is not in use will actually extend the life of the chain brake spring as the tension is somewhat released from it during storage. :givebeer:

This spring or sprung debate goes on for ever... the gun crowd debates this in regards to the magazines (clips - but that is not accurate). Store them loaded or empty???

Latest thought in that camp is either works but what is worse is the cycling (loading & unloading) of the spring pressure creates more wear than left under full load or full relax but then cycleing them often due to use. If you always start w/ brake on then the cycle issue is null as you would stil cycle the same amount.

I dont store mine w/ brake on, and seldom when starting, but if its running, and out of the wood, and I am moving my feet, the brake goes on.

At least it's not another what oil, how muych oil, ethanol, or race fuel or pump gas thread :biggrin:

dw

What about putting em away wet? Seems like chain brake off would allow stuff to dry out a bit quicker...

I expect that 99% of the time the brake is off during use..
(unless carrying while idleing to a different location)..

I don't even start a saw with the brake on..but that's just me..

Sooo I think they're designed to be kept in 'brake off position'.
:cheers:
J2F

I would think less pressure on the crank is best, so off. Springs are cheap, cranks and seals not as easy.

If was running a buisness and had to set a standard I would make them all be on for safety. On my own use saws I never use the brake unless I am mobile with it running. The stihl safety manual say never walk with a running chainsaw, I think they are try to sell more starter ropes:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This may go into the catagory under "nothing matters and what if it did".

I don't give a rats rear either way.....Butt

If you happen to bump against a chain on a sitting saw that has the brAKE on, you have a nasty cut there.
Whereas if the brake is off the chain can give and slide.

My rule is...the only time I want the chain brake on EVER is if the saw is coming at my face.

Mike

Well there were 3 camps on this question.

1. Brake off to help the crank seal live longer
2. Break on so the break spring has maximum pressure
3. Possessed saw's that have to be kept in a safe and buried in the ground so they don't self start, run a muck and cut limbs off unsuspecting people......

Thanks for the replies.

I have to disagree with #1 and #2.

The spring acts like a garrote [sp], so I don't think there is any side pressure.

Brake/Break on, the spring is relaxed on the Stihl models.

I don't give a rats rear either way.....Butt

If you happen to bump against a chain on a sitting saw that has the brAKE on, you have a nasty cut there.
Whereas if the brake is off the chain can give and slide.

My rule is...the only time I want the chain brake on EVER is if the saw is coming at my face.

Mike
Oh, you think you're tough now, but wait until a zombie saw jumps out at you some dark night when you're out in the shop and you didn't put the brake on! You won't be so tough then, will ya?

Oh, you think you're tough now, but wait until a zombie saw jumps out at you some dark night when you're out in the shop and you didn't put the brake on! You won't be so tough then, will ya?

Depends on whether I can make it to the kegerator or not!
I'll probably just reach up and kick the chain brake on right before it gets to me!:buttkick:

Mike

Back