Chain saw purchase advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I 'm a newbie to this site. I found it through a link posted at another web site.

I'm a retired contractor. I have lived on a wooded home site (12 acres) for the last 30 + years. I guess about 2 acres of it is cleared. I burn quite a bit of wood during the winter (partly for heat and partly because I just enjoy a fire. Most of the wood I burn is from dead trees, either dead falls, or found still standing. The drought has killed quite a few red oaks (or water oaks) this year: I can't tell the difference. Some of them are pretty big

So I'm thinking about getting a new, more powerful saw. I think it's going to be a Husqvarna or a Stihl. Right now the saw that has caught my eye is a Husqvarna 346 XP with an 18" bar.

Right now I have a Poulan Super 250A, and a Stihl 015AV, both are 16" saws. The Husky was given to be by my son-in-law (it was given to him by a neighbor who was moving). The Poulan will out-cut the Stihl, but it's not as smooth.

You might be amazed (but probably not) at how many trees I have cut up with that little Poulan over the years. I've cut down (over the last two years alone) and cut up, about 60 pines the pine beetles killed. Some of them were pretty big: but then I don't burn Pine. I gave it away to a guy who does. I don't now know how old the 250A is, but I bought it new. I don't like the new Poulans.

I want a good saw, but I don't want a real heavy saw, which is why I sort of liked the 346 XP, but I thought these guys know their saws, why not ask them).

Any advice will be appreciated.

I 'm a newbie to this site. I found it through a link posted at another web site.

I'm a retired contractor. I have lived on a wooded home site (12 acres) for the last 30 + years. I guess about 2 acres of it is cleared. I burn quite a bit of wood during the winter (partly for heat and partly because I just enjoy a fire. Most of the wood I burn is from dead trees, either dead falls, or found still standing. The drought has killed quite a few red oaks (or water oaks) this year: I can't tell the difference. Some of them are pretty big

So I'm thinking about getting a new, more powerful saw. I think it's going to be a Husqvarna or a Stihl. Right now the saw that has caught my eye is a Husqvarna 346 XP with an 18" bar.

Right now I have a Poulan Super 250A, and a Stihl 015AV, both are 16" saws. The Husky was given to be by my son-in-law (it was given to him by a neighbor who was moving). The Poulan will out-cut the Stihl, but it's not as smooth.

You might be amazed (but probably not) at how many trees I have cut up with that little Poulan over the years. I've cut down (over the last two years alone) and cut up, about 60 pines the pine beetles killed. Some of them were pretty big: but then I don't burn Pine. I gave it away to a guy who does. I don't now know how old the 250A is, but I bought it new. I don't like the new Poulans.

I want a good saw, but I don't want a real heavy saw, which is why I sort of liked the 346 XP, but I thought these guys know their saws, why not ask them).

Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm not going to say it, but someone will ,:greenchainsaw: MS361

Well, here's some advice which is...what it cost you! I also live on 12 acres and heat with wood. I would say that whatever saw you get, and it sounds as if a larger one will do you very well and you'll be quite happy you got it, it needs to be in the 60 cc range minimum. I run an 036 with a 20" bar and it does all I want, and I cut quite a bit. If your trees are, say, larger in diameter than 24 inches as a regular thing, you might want to sneak up to a 70 cc saw [The Stihl model available new in this size is the 441] so you can use a longer bar, though that isn't written in stone. The Stihl 361 will handle a longer bar, particularly with a skip chain, but I'd be looking at a 70 cc or larger if it were all the time.

Obviously the larger the saw, the more it'll weigh. For me, the 036 is about what I want to carry around and use all day. Weight-wise, I mean. You can test some out at a dealer, remembering that they'll be a smidgen heavier when full of oil and gas.

If you want to run a longer bar than the 20 inch on a regular basis, then again you might be looking for the 70 cc class.

Last edited:
I suggest starting with the ms660, with a 32 inch bar. then when you realize that you don't need a saw that big often, get a ms460 with a 24" to a 28" bar. Then after you realize that saw is perfect for 2-3 hours, but still to heavy to work hard for an 8 hour day, get your self the ms361. The ms361 with a 20" bar is maybe the perfect saw most of the time. But if your not 100% sure, pick up the ms260 with a 18" bar just incase, nice thing about the 260 is you can use the "Honey I got this incase you want to help cut with me".

I know this sounds rediculous, but trust me. Its a lot easier to deal with the CAD Virus if you get the expesive ones out of the way first. :chainsawguy:

If you really get CAD bad, you could even get your self an 170, or 180 with the excuse "honey, I'd like to try some carving, maybe make a few extra bucks If I get good at it"...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, your going to get a lot of suggestions here. Nearly all of them will be good advice. A good many of them however will be based primarily on the poster's brand preference.

You will be very happy with the 346 that you are considering as it is just an awesome little saw. There are some other brands/models that would also be great. Any of them will likely be a very noticeable improvement from what you are currently running.

I always say to look at a couple of different saws, see how they feel, and see how you feel about the dealer you will choose to do business with.

:agree2:

I Only talk Stihl, because thats what I know. I have owned 2 huskys, 2 homelites, 1 mac, and about 20 stihls. never owned a bad saw. but I never been to walmart saw shopin' either. I do feel that Stihls are the small block chevy of chainsaws. Used parts are cheap, and every where. get on ebay, and type in "(chain saw,chainsaw)" there are more stihl parts and saws then all other brands put together. Thats a big bonus for a guy that doesn't ever want to go to a dealer unless they have to.

Thanks fellows for all the replies and advice. I assume CAD stands for something like " Chainsaw Addiction Disorder".

As for the size trees I cut down and block out for splitting - it will be unusual for one to be bigger than 18", though two of the ones I plan to cut up this fall are. Even on those there will be far more cutting of less than 18" log than there will be of what is over.

As for my budget I suppose I have the money to buy any saw I want, but I don't want to buy more saw than I need. I know there is a great deal of satisfaction in being happy with what you bought, and not be wishing later that you had bought something else. Unfortunately you usually don't know that until you have used it for a day or so.

And I have to face the fact that I am 70 years old, and although I am in pretty good shape because I work out two or three times a week, I do get tired a lot sooner than I once did, and I am taking that into consideration.

Clay

We need to know that, but the NE346xp is as good as they get for the size...:clap: :clap:

Thanks fellows for all the replies and advice. I assume CAD stands for something like " Chainsaw Addiction Disorder".

As for the size trees I cut down and block out for splitting - it will be unusual for one to be bigger than 18", though two of the ones I plan to cut up this fall are. Even on those there will be far more cutting of less than 18" log than there will be of what is over.

As for my budget I suppose I have the money to buy any saw I want, but I don't want to buy more saw than I need. I know there is a great deal of satisfaction in being happy with what you bought, and not be wishing later that you had bought something else. Unfortunately you usually don't know that until you have used it for a day or so.

And I have to face the fact that I am 70 years old, and although I am in pretty good shape because I work out two or three times a week, I do get tired a lot sooner than I once did, and I am taking that into consideration.

Clay

Clay,

I think that new edition 346XP is the answer.

Good luck,

Joat

I can tell you what saw I don't like.....

I have been running a husky 455 lately and pretty much hate everything about it (my saw was awaiting parts but is much better now).

It is under powered. My 33+ year old Stihl 031AV outcuts it by a LARGE margin.

The original husky bar is quite weak and bent when it should not have (then just as easily bent back with a single swing of a hammer).

The husky chain is very stretchy, and I feel the need to keep the scrench in my pocket when running that saw. I am now converting it to an oregon bar so I can run Stihl chain (33RSC 3/8 0.050 18" 68DL)

The clutch/ clutch housing is too tight. It is more difficult to put a chain on it compared to any other saw I have run.

Husky uses many diffent bars on their saws. Every Stihl I have ever used could run a Rollomatic E bar on it. If you have the 015AV already....you probably have a built in spare bar.

My next saw will be an MS361..... 12 pounds, 4.4HP, and the all important E bar. Also....fantastic dealers here in NH.

Clay

Sounds to me like you've done your research. Go to a dealer and put your hands on one. Make him sell it to you. See if he'll let you try it out.

Good to see someone with a good idea where they want to go.

Sounds like the 346 would be a good choice for your needs. I have a Husky 350 with an 18 bar and it does a good job with for me with the smaller trees.
The 346xp is a better saw, so I would think it would be even better for the job.

Stihl MS361. Light enough to use all day and enough power to cut some bigger stuff. You already have a couple smaller saws so why get another small one? Step her up a notch so you can do more in the future.

Clay;
I'm 52 and a lighter saw is definitely a priority. I have a 353 but would not recommend it in stock form. I've heard nothing but great things about the NE 346 and at your age that saw would be a great choice. Go with your gut you won't be sorry.

Ah, meangreen, my good man,

You are just not getting the big picture: the facts of life, mine that is.

1. There ain't hardly anything, anymore, light enough for me to carry around all day, and that includes the 346XP. I'm just hoping for a few good hours in the morning time.

2. I don't want to tackle more, or bigger stuff, in the future: no way, no how.

Having said that, since I have heard so much about the MS361, I figured I had to see that super saw. I went by a Stihl dealer today and thought I would look at one, but they didn't have that model in stock. In fact, they didn't have anything in stock bigger than about a 35 cc saw. Don't know what to make of that. Wrong dealer I guess.

But I still want to see that saw. And who knows, if it don't feel real heavy, and can make good biscuits (my wife can't), I might just get it. :)

Thanks for trying to help.

Thanks again guys for all the info, and for the spirit of trying to be helpful. This appears to be a forum where you fellows not only know saws, but know how to have a bit of fun, and maybe even laugh at yourselves.

I have found I can buy the 346xp online with free shipping. The price is about the same the dealers here are quoting, but I can skip the sales tax, which is pretty high here. Working on the theory that the people who help you make money are your friends and everybody else is just a poker buddy - I like the idea. Any drawbacks other than the obvious ones. Anybody else done that?

Clay

Back