Chain sharpening cost

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcappe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I know alot on here sharpen their own chain but what is a fair price to you to have your chain sharpened by someone else. Grinder or hand filed? Thanks.

Locally, one shop charged $6 (until the owner died). The second charged $12 (until they went out of business). Buying a chain grinder and learning to sharpen my own was one of the best thing I ever did.

I've only taken chains in once, but the fella charges $4 each. And has quite a list of other things he will sharped from axes to carbide saw blades.

I generally will touch em up myself a couple times, then take em in to get them trued

I hand sharpen my own most of the time but occasionally take them in to be ground and trued up. One place near me charged $7 and over heated my chain--every tooth was blue. Needles to say that was the first and last chain they will do for me. Another shop nearby charges $4 and does an excellent job.

I hand sharpen my own most of the time but occasionally take them in to be ground and trued up. One place near me charged $7 and over heated my chain--every tooth was blue. Needles to say that was the first and last chain they will do for me. Another shop nearby charges $4 and does an excellent job.

thats another reason i do my own now,,the guy that used to do mine would see how much of the tooth he could grind off

The one and only time I had my chains sharpened at a shop they ruined them. I brought in four and when I got them back they wouldn't cut at all, brought them back in so they could be redone. Got them back and again wouldn't cut a thing. Taught myself to file my own and now I touch them up every other tank full of gas. To me it's a lot easier to touch them up a few times a day than to be switching chains all the time. I sometimes go a year without taking the chain off my saw, I'm just cutting firewood though. I forget what the guy charged then, but I noticed at the local Stihl dealer it was 6 or 7 last year and more if they took the chain off the saw. Good luck!

If I couldn't sharpen my own chains I wouldn't be able to afford to cut wood. Get a file and touch 'em up every couple tanks. It's easier than you think. Dull chain is a waste of time, gas and equipment. Like the best race car with bad tires will never win----a super saw and a dull chain ain't worth a ****.

If you asked nice, and perhaps brought a beer I would sharpen your chain for free so long as I had the right file. For two beers I would show you how to file yours own chain. For three beers, you will know how to sharpen your own chain AND have an ear full about how hand filing is the only way to go...:cheers:

A 16" chain costs anywhere from $13-20. Pay $4-7 per chain to sharpen, and that's up to 50% of the cost of a new chain!

When I thought of it that way, it was a no-brainer that I was going to learn how to sharpen my own chains.

When I start burning rolls of Benjamins for heat, I'll get Jeeves to sharpen my chains.

Last edited:
If you asked nice, and perhaps brought a beer I would sharpen your chain for free so long as I had the right file. For two beers I would show you how to file yours own chain. For three beers, you will know how to sharpen your own chain AND have an ear full about how hand filing is the only way to go...:cheers:

Oh yes, the " Will sharpen for beer." :cheers::cheers:

PFERD PFERD PFERD PFERD PFERD........................

Use a chainsaw, cut and harvest in woodlands, learn to hand sharpen in the field. It's a no-brainer, just takes a little practice, a stump vise, a good hand sharpening device, and patience at first. Most can hand sharpen chains under 20" in less time than a grinder in the shop.:clap:

With as easy as hand filing becomes, there's no way I'd send chains out to be sharpened any more. Back in the day (which for me is only a decade ago since I'm not yet 30), I'd rotate a couple chains through camping season and then drop them off to get sharpened. After getting tired of that mess, I forced myself to learn how to file well! Now, no one sees my chains but me; there's just no reason. Especially with the guides on the market ( I just use the Stihl file guide), hand filing can make every bit as sharp a chain as factory, if not more in some cases. It just takes paying attention to the details and making your muscles learn the movements.

Once you get descent with it, you'll wonder why anyone would pay anything to have their chains sharpened :greenchainsaw::popcorn:

I handfile but pay a pro to grind about 2 times per chain life just to true them up. I will sometimes have them ground just to get the rakers taken down - I hate doing rakers.

Cost?
$7 30 miles away - very good job.
$4 4 miles away in town and overheat the chain so you can't file it - once only.
$10 1/2 mile down the road - overpriced and only got suckered in the one time. Did cut well after though.

Harry K

I did it once and had really bad luck with it. Pretty much every problem mentioned. Not sharp, overheated, etc. So I got a grinder and do them all myself.

I charge 5.00 up-to 20" and treat it like its my own. in town they're charging 10.00 and all I hear about them is complaints. Blued, didn't do the drags, missed teeth. I don't mind doing chains, but everybody that operates saws, should learn how to sharpen by hand. If you're the one thats gotta sharpenin it, you'll learn real quick to keep out of the dirt. I know this can't ALWAYS be avoided, but you'll definetly pay closer attention to what and where you're cuttin.:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back