Chain sharpening tools - Pferd?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoBDoG2o02

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am a newbie here so please forgive if i'm posting in the wrong place. I am also wood cutter for heating purposes. That said i cut about 4 cords a year, mainly with an Echo-CS670(Grey case), and light use on a CS-400. I have a 20" and a 27" bar for the 670 and am kinda getting tired of paying good money for sharpenings on the chains when all i really need is a touch up.

A local shop carries the Pferd tools ( http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/201b010503P.html ) I have tried using the standard files and gauge from home depot but as little as i cut i don't think i'll ever get good enough to be good with one, matter of fact after i use these tools it usually cuts worse. The Pferd tool looks dummy proof, but kinda pricey.

Any thoughts?

I have an older one 3/8ths, works excellent . Am trying to source one(.325) in Canada now.
Yes they are spendy but very well made.
I was out cutting fir today and have very nice chips!
BBB

Get one of those hand held 12 V sharpeners. Easy to use, they have an angle guide attached. Just replace the stone that comes with it with a EZ Lap diamond stone. They are available at Baileys. Goes twice as fast as sharpening by hand.

BOB buddy I am here to assist you!!! I have had this system since they came out in Germany I own all 4 flavors 3/8, 3/8 picco, .325 and 1/4 Picco
I have had this one kicking around not used much and had been cutting some dirty wood,, it makes the chain as sharp as factory!!!
BBB

Get one of those hand held 12 V sharpeners. Easy to use, they have an angle guide attached. Just replace the stone that comes with it with a EZ Lap diamond stone. They are available at Baileys. Goes twice as fast as sharpening by hand.
They work pretty good but they dont do your rakers ,,they are fast, I have two a 110v granberg and 12v sears.
BBB

Latest posts

Back