chain storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhunt13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
how do you guys store your chains? just curious. i was just out sharpening and wondering if anyone had any great ways that i hadn't thought of. i use a military ammo box for my tools, files, wedges, chains, etc. chains go in bags with the description written on them. no bag means dull, in a bag means sharp. oh, and in the shop in a nail or around the vise handle.

I just make a plywood box with j hooks, one hook is tacked to a old kitchen drawer hinge and a bunje cord pulls tight holding chains on the hook. Keep in the toolbox , have a strip for 20,24,32 chains works great cheap to make.

I either leave them in the box they came in until I need it or hanging on a nail with a little shot of chain lube to keep rust to a minimum.

I have a box that I take cutting that keeps gas, oil, tools, PPE all together. I just throw a chain or two in with the rest of the stuff.

Not so well and all over the place. I probably have around 70 stored in the original carton that I keep in a box reams of paper came in. I have around 20 that came with various saws I bought that are in a plywood box. I have another 20-25 on hooks in my garage or with various bars scattered around my garage. I keep 6 for my Husky saws in the original package in my saw box with my tools so I can change them out when needed.

I use Tupperware containers that I pickup at the local flea market. Can get them for a buck a piece. Mark the lid with a sharpie marker as to whats in it.

Not so well and all over the place. I probably have around 70 stored in the original carton that I keep in a box reams of paper came in. I have around 20 that came with various saws I bought that are in a plywood box. I have another 20-25 on hooks in my garage or with various bars scattered around my garage. I keep 6 for my Husky saws in the original package in my saw box with my tools so I can change them out when needed.

We need to organize a chain swap. Bailey's quarterly sales would drop like a rock. But there are probably thousands of loops that A.S. members have to fit saws that they don't.

Philbert

same as you.. but i have a plastic diagnostic's monitor box a guy didn't want. so i use it.. it holds all files wedges and i carry all fifteen chains in ziplock bags marked for size...scrench's and spark plugs too.log chains saws axes etc. are stored in tool box for truck..

Small Zip Lock Bags

I use small Zip Lock plastic bags for the ones that I have in production. I include a 3 x 5 card note after I sharpen them letting me know how many times they have been used and sharpened. On the note, I usually document the saw, bar size, the # of drive links, pitch, and gauge as well.

When they are almost shot and on their last leg, I sometimes hang them up on a hook and use them only as a backup. It's easy to take the dead soldiers to the saw shop when it's time to replace them and simply tell the clerk, "Please replace with new."

I figure in a few years I may be buying 100 ft reels and master links and then make my own rather than buy loops. The savings would be significant and I could sell chains to my friends for half the amount that they pay.

I use the plastic coffee containers. The Maxwell House comes in Red, Blue, and Green. Water tight and they have built in handles. I use a sharpie to right the chain size on it and I have one for dull chains. You can also spray WD-40 in the container to keep them lubed. Pete

Another Option

Forgot about this one: Old VHS and DVD cases. Should be pretty cheap at your local Blockbuster store right now.

Uniform appearance. Slip discretely into your Powerbox case. Cut resistant. Easy to label.

Plus, you can store your chains in the walnut book cases in your study, and look like you are a member of the upper crust selecting a treasured episode of 'Masterpiece Theater', instead of some Bubba grabbing a loop of 33LGX to score free firewood.

Bigger loops will not fit into the DVD cases. You can separate smaller loops in the VHS with pieces of cardboard or thin foam.

Philbert
P5022396.jpg P5022400.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot about this one: Old VHS and DVD cases. Should be pretty cheap at your local Blockbuster store right now.

Uniform appearance. Slip discretely into your Powerbox case. Cut resistant. Easy to label.

Plus, you can store your chains in the walnut book cases in your study, and look like you are a member of the upper crust selecting a treasured episode of 'Masterpiece Theater', instead of some Bubba grabbing a loop of 33LGX to score free firewood.

Bigger loops will not fit into the DVD cases. You can separate smaller loops in the VHS with pieces of cardboard or thin foam.

Philbert

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

i love this idea... i bet my wife would too when she opens up a dvd case on the entertainment center and finds it full of chains...
this would free up space in the garage...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Back