Chainsaw 2 Cycle Oil Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Chainsaw 2 Cycle Oil

• Echo Gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Echo Red Armor

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Husqvarna XP+

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Husqvarna HP

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Amsoil Dominator

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Amsoil Saber

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • VP

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Stihl HP Ultra (Silver)

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Stihl High Performance (Orange)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Lucas

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't think so, but you seem to be the expert, so I'll leave you to it.

Didn't say it would catch more. That's determined by how much of each element is in the oil. I said fastest. For that matter, I'll include "more reliably".

Every centrifuge in the world works this way: heavier elements sink to the outside radius faster than stuff that is lighter. The lightest elements rise while the heavier stuff sinks.

Get an aluminum nut and a steel nut of the same size, and then a chunk of charcoal. Then set them in a tall glass of motor oil, and tell me which hits bottom first. If you cannot tell, get the oil a lot colder and re-test. Then you will see why I said the metal will be filtered fastest.

A centrifugal filter can/will catch metal particles too small for a conventional filter to stop. At a certain miniscule size, however, Van Der Waals forces and other molecular forces will interfere, and then the heavier atomic weights won't be as successfully settled to the bottom. This is why we don't all suffocate in CO2; our atmosphere stirs up the different gasses quicker than density can overcome.

When I was in the 7th grade, I observed Brownian motion under a microscope, and asked the teacher for a clarification of what was happening. She didn't believe me at first, and then I showed her what I was seeing. Then she told me what it was.
At tiny particle sizes, Brownian movement can keep small metal particles stirred up in solution with the oil. They gotta be real tiny, though.

Our transmissions are all raw water cooled, if that counts. ;) ;)
Not on my inboard! On the other hand, my GM 350 is raw-water cooled, with a 160°F thermostat to keep the salt from building up...

A lot of tugs and work boats run their oil through copper "blocks" mounted below the waterline to cool the engine oil...

That one has a Deutz diesel: air cooled. No water present to cool with.
No, it doesn't, I looked up the model from your picture 12l volvo penta engine. 240hp. Even if it did have a deutz they all have air to liquid cooler for the oil.
I have five trucks on my lot right now. Only two of them have oil coolers. I wonder how that oil is getting cooled?
Just because your can't identify the oil cooler doesn't mean there isn't one there. Just about every engine has them, save for light duty, and the vast majority of light duty engines shave them as well.
"Heavy duty" is too subjective. All the makers of pickup trucks think they are making "heavy duty" versions, yet I don't consider any of them in that class. My GMC 7000 with the 15,000lb knuckle-boom crane on it certainly is a heavy duty truck. There is no oil cooler, though. I'm pretty sure my old Ford L8000 with the Caterpillar 3208 had no oil cooler, either. With the 44,000lb rear tandem axle, it was definitely heavy duty.

A strong argument can be made, however, for any liquid cooled engine to be relying upon the coolant passages to be exchanging heat with the oil passages, thereby having a "built-in" liquid to liquid oil cooler.

Look guys, this is very simple. The oil pan catches the hottest oil, fresh from the engine. That is where the cooling begins. That is first in line, and qualifies as the primary cooling. When that hot oil gets pumped elsewhere, that is the second source of cooling, and by definition, not the primary cooling device.

If you wish to argue that the oil coolers are "primary" because they are more effective, or dissipate more kilo-calories of engine heat than the oil pan does, I'm ok with that argument. Have at it! So far, I've not found any studies anywhere that attempt to identify this arcane consideration, but I'll bet there are indeed statistics in some engineering journal somewhere.

This oil cooler vs oil pan issue is a commonly argued topic though.
EDIT: If the oil pan isn't the "primary" oil cooling device, why are so many oil coolers fulfilling the secondary role of cooling only when the oil gets too hot? After all, the best oil coolers are thermostatically regulated. What's doing the cooling until the oil gets hot enough for the thermostat to open to flow through the cooler?​
There's no thermostat in the oil coolers, oil flows through then right after the pump and regulator. Yes the 3208 has an oil cooler. It's either a plate and fin style or a tube style.
This again, falls into, you don't have a clue what you're talking about and every example, save the push mower we've all easily been able to prove you wrong. Oil pans simply do not play the huge role in cooling you think they do. They may have back in the 70's for automotive use, but oil coolers are pretty much a standard thing for a lot of years now, weather liquid to liquid or air to liquid. Since you keep bringing up air cooled engines, which I addressed many posts ago, most certantly do have oil coolers.
I could see where your statement is true in regards to being hard on the oil given the extra fuel dumped into the engine during the regen cycle. That shouldn't lead to higher soot loading in the oil however, unless I am missing something?
Nothing to do with the soot load, the high heat the oil sees from the higher then normal exhaust temps during regen processes taxes the oil harder.
I always wanted one of those. They catch metal and minerals a lot faster than soot, though. With a centrifuge, it's all about density.
You've obviously never had one apart to clean them out.
Deutz, air/oil cooled,

F2l-912-02-S.jpg

5 qt. sump and it never overheats, no huge oil cooler on it either.

SR
Yes it does, it's on the intake side under the air cover. I have never seen a deutz with out an oil cooler built in. I'll even do you one better, whats the engine or tractor model number and I'll get you the part number for the oil cooler.

I have a Deutz diesel engine on my welder. It has a BIG radiator to cool the oil, with a fan to cool it. Birds like to build nests on top of the radiator, and I have to check for nests every time I run it.

My Suzuki DR650 also has a radiator to cool the oil in the crankcase/gearbox, but no fan, so sitting in Redlight Hell in the middle of summer can get the motor pretty dam hot.

As for "no oil coolers in light-duty trucks," my F-250 with the 7.3 PSD has an oil cooler, it's basically a cylinder made of aluminum, which conducts heat better than anything except gold, copper or silver...

The 5.4 liter Triton in my F-150 has burned about a quart or 1.5 quarts of oil per 4000 miles (when I change it) since Day One.

The 7.3 Powerstroke diesel in my 2001 F-250 doesn't burn (or leak) a drop, even with almost 300k on the clock. And it averages 20 mpg ... and on the highway on long trips sometimes gets 25 mpg. (I've kept track of every gallon of fuel purchased since I got the truck 10 years ago, and yep -- over that 10-year period, 20.0 mpg average exactly.) Gotta love the ZF6.

The stupid gasser in the F-150 is lucky if it gets 17 mpg on the highway. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving a pig Ford 390. At least it's got some guts, unlike the 390 IIRC.
What year is your F-150? My '18 F-150 with the 5.4 was using oil from day 1 as well. Over 2 quarts in 5k miles. I looked at the Ford blogs and found a lot of complaints about it. Ford has a service bulletin regarding it, if the customer complains.

Here's a hoot! You will never guess what the best conductor of heat is, unless you happen to do that kind of science. This is NOT an intuitive answer.

Roll up the list very slowly, and see if you can guess the next highest element.

10. Zinc 116 W/m•K

9. Graphite 168 W/m•K

8. Tungsten – 173 W/m•K

7. Aluminum – 247 W/m•K

6. Silicon carbide – 270 W/m•K

5. Aluminum nitride – 310 W/m•K

4. Gold – 315 W/m•K

3a, Copper – 398 W/m•K
3b. Silver – 429

2a. Cubic boron nitride – 740 W/m•K
2b. Boron arsenide - 1300 W/m•K
BA has a highly variable heat conductance, according to it's crystalline structure and the pressure/temperature at which it is tested. Under some conditions, it has a higher heat conductance that diamonds. Under very high pressure, it is lower than tungsten

1a. Diamond – 2000 – 2200 W/m•K
Yes! Diamonds are about 5 times as heat conductive as copper.
1.b pyrolytic graphite of approximately 2000 W⋅m−1⋅K−1 at room temperature.
1.c Graphene conductivity has been reported as high as 5300 W⋅m−1⋅K−1,
Steel, by comparison, has a thermal conductivity of only 45 W/(mK)
"Steel has one of the lowest thermal conductivity values of all metals, making it an ideal material to use in high-temperature environments such as vehicle or airplane engines."
A bigger list can be found here.
(There seem to be quite a few inconsistencies in the conductivity values reported from different sources.)

Yes it does, it's on the intake side under the air cover. I have never seen a deutz with out an oil cooler built in. I'll even do you one better, whats the engine or tractor model number and I'll get you the part number for the oil cooler.
OK, do me one better, it's a 3006,

Deutz-30-06-S.jpg

SR

What year is your F-150? My '18 F-150 with the 5.4 was using oil from day 1 as well. Over 2 quarts in 5k miles. I looked at the Ford blogs and found a lot of complaints about it. Ford has a service bulletin regarding it, if the customer complains.
So apparently oil consumption is still prevelant within domestic light duty trucks other than the Vortex .

You've obviously never had one apart to clean them out.

You obviously don't understand what I am saying. Here's an analysis of filtrate from a study on the centrifugal filters. Kindly notice that engine metal particles are a very tiny amount of the total filtered particles.

1700675863105.png

Which says nothing at all about the relative rate of sedimentation of aluminum and steel particles relative to soot particles while passing through the centrifugal filter.

You obviously don't understand what I am saying. Here's an analysis of filtrate from a study on the centrifugal filters. Kindly notice that engine metal particles are a very tiny amount of the total filtered particles.

View attachment 1129836

Which says nothing at all about the relative rate of sedimentation of aluminum and steel particles relative to soot particles while passing through the centrifugal filter.
So what have you found in the ones you've cleaned out??

So apparently oil consumption is still prevelant within domestic light duty trucks other than the Vortex .
Ford had some oil usage and valve issues around that time period. Friend of mine is on his third engine in his 16 mustang with ~25k miles on it. First 2 both dropped valves within 10k miles. There was some sort of defect where the valve heads were friction ended to the stems.

Nothing, he's never cleaned one out.

Of course not. I already said I always wanted one, but never had one.
What exactly is your point? This isn't rocket-science, guys.
I have never stood on the top of a building and dropped an apple side by side with a feather, but I know how it will turn out.

Back