chainsaw addiction is there a cure?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upandcommer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi my name is upandcommer and I have a problem. I am now addicted to saws. I was driving by the stihl dealer yesterday and figured i would go in and see if i could check out the new 441. Well apperantly they don't have any as of yet in my neck of the woods but what they did have was a good deal on a nice couple of used saws. So now I have 9 chainsaws in the shed and only two hands to use them with however as my wife pointed out with the saw addiction came one heck of a woodpile for the next couple of years at 16 cords and have yet to stack the last 6 foot tall pile i split the other day. So again if you are just lurking or have been here a while and have yet to find a need for that great looking 60cc saw that is imaculate and only priced at 100 bucks on the floor next to the shiney new stihls then you need to run now do not read another post clear your browser history and forget the name of this site now while you still can. P.S. I scored an echo 510evl and an ms180c for 200 out the door both with new bars and chains both completely gone over and reworked by the gold level stihl tech at the local shop the 180 was his former carving saw he is on the stihl pro carving team so I know she was babied. The wife actually couldn't wait to use her new toy yesterday she handed me the baby took the newbie out to the pile and started cutting all the time saying wow this is nice. The moral to the story is RUN

upandcommer said:
So again if you are just lurking or have been here a while and have yet to find a need for that great looking 60cc saw that is imaculate and only priced at 100 bucks on the floor next to the shiney new stihls then you need to run now do not read another post clear your browser history and forget the name of this site now while you still can.

The moral to the story is RUN

Good advice, but its too late for me. Started with a question about a lowly Poulan a couple months ago or so....

I am now working on an old mac and a homelite zip, and have a new alaskan mill sitting in a box in the hallway, :clap:
the new saws just weren't keeping me busy enough I guess :cry:

But it sure is fun.:cheers:

Would like to offer you good advise, but there is no cure. Only cure I have found is to buy/fix/sell saws on ebay, but I usually end up with more than I started for less money invested in them... Go figure....

I started with two husky 365's that I had for years, and needed parts.....Found this place in the mix, as well as all the used saw dealers in the area... Run, before it is too late or you'll end up with lots of saws that you don't have a use for.

I have enough saws to list one a week for the rest of the year, and I'd still have "my" saws leftover......

Freakingstang said:
Would like to offer you good advise, but there is no cure. Only cure I have found is to buy/fix/sell saws on ebay, but I usually end up with more than I started for less money invested in them... Go figure....

I started with two husky 365's that I had for years, and needed parts.....Found this place in the mix, as well as all the used saw dealers in the area... Run, before it is too late or you'll end up with lots of saws that you don't have a use for.

I have enough saws to list one a week for the rest of the year, and I'd still have "my" saws leftover......

Hi Dr.Freak ..are you still leading the group seminars..My addiction is getting better now..:cheers: :cheers:

04ultra said:
Hi Dr.Freak ..are you still leading the group seminars..My addiction is getting better now..:cheers: :cheers:

Thats nice, mine is getting worse!!!!!!!!! HELP ME BEFORE I GET A DIVORCE!!!!!!!
Andy

Freakingstang said:
Found this place in the mix......

Ya forgot, Made a lot of friends, had some good times(although you never did bring me back that sammich) Learnt a few new tricks, etc.

Me, I limited myself to 25 saws!

If I find one I cant live without, I have to cull one from the heard, simple as that.

04ultra said:

Nope, I had to fire myself for buying up a bunch of saws before I left town...

I'll start them back up soon, though. lol

Saws? Did You Say Saws? What Kinda Saws? Big Saws? Little Saws? I Need Some More Saws, Got Some Saws?

saws, well a couple...

I found that missing 046 (wink, wink)

You saw the 2071.

You saw the mystery pics of the big red saw....Won't tell you that one until i finish it...

A little jonsered, a little husky, and a mid sized stihl.

There were a couple parts saws in there too, lol.

It will be a month or so before I have time to start those. I still have a pile of half finished projects now anyways.

Freakingstang said:
saws, well a couple...

I found that missing 046 (wink, wink)

You saw the 2071.

You saw the mystery pics of the big red saw....Won't tell you that one until i finish it...

A little jonsered, a little husky, and a mid sized stihl.

There were a couple parts saws in there too, lol.

It will be a month or so before I have time to start those. I still have a pile of half finished projects now anyways.

So, you "Think" you located the missing 046, and are going to try and make a Stisky saw???? That will just be wierd there Doc, just plain weird!!

sawinredneck said:
So, you "Think" you located the missing 046, and are going to try and make a Stisky saw???? That will just be wierd there Doc, just plain weird!!

Nah, what is the point? How bout a 066 BB kit on a 046 body?

Or better yet, i have an extra 084 cylinder laying around here somewhere.... :laugh:

It's interesting how I managed to be happy with the ancient saws I had until recently finding this site. Lets see, eight new saw purchases in less than 5 months. I think I qualify for a twelve step program. I guess the good news is, I'm certainly not alone.

BIGBORE577 said:
It's interesting how I managed to be happy with the ancient saws I had until recently finding this site. Lets see, eight new saw purchases in less than 5 months. I think I qualify for a twelve step program. I guess the good news is, I'm certainly not alone.

Nope you are not alone, and from the looks of the port work done, there is no end in site for you. Glad to see someone else discover big Dave. He builds a mean saw.

I'm trying to justify having a set of saws from the smallest to the largest at increments of 10cc and then a backup for each backup saw.:greenchainsaw:

Nothing like having a basement that smells like premix and chain oil.

Told the wife that I was going to the swap meet to get a NOS bar for my SXLAO the other day and came back with 32 of them. She just shook her head.

Freakingstang said:
Nah, what is the point? How bout a 066 BB kit on a 046 body?

Or better yet, i have an extra 084 cylinder laying around here somewhere.... :laugh:

Think ya can make that 084 fit on a 360 size? Now that would be fun!!!!:greenchainsaw:
Andy

sawnami said:
I'm trying to justify having a set of saws from the smallest to the largest at increments of 10cc and then a backup for each backup saw.:greenchainsaw:

Nothing like having a basement that smells like premix and chain oil.

Told the wife that I was going to the swap meet to get a NOS bar for my SXLAO the other day and came back with 32 of them. She just shook her head.

Oh that is good, BAck up for the Back up..... I might be able to sneak a few more in there.....LOL

sawinredneck said:
Think ya can make that 084 fit on a 360 size? Now that would be fun!!!!:greenchainsaw:
Andy

Anything is possible with money, time, and motivation... Motivation is there, the rest is the challenge......

Back