Chainsaw and Mill Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomandjerry00

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My first post here!

I have a little 14" Homelite Chainsaw that is about 35 years old as well as a couple small/medium (old Wen and Remington) duty electrics and am looking for a new chainsaw. The electrics lack power/speed (I might have burned out my Wen...) and the Homelite is just getting annoying to start and keep maintained. I have an electric chain sharpener so I don't think a dull chain is the problem.

Whatever saw I buy will be used largely for sawing up firewood (I sell firewood on the side, maybe 10 cords a year) and cutting up wood for various projects such as cutting boards, candle stick holders, etc. I was hoping for a high-quality electric (was looking at the Makita or possible Worx) or a cheaper gas powered saw. I was thinking I'd prefer an electric because I am working close to the house and can avoid a lot of starting and maintenance issues, but am open to anything! Was hoping to keep it around $200 and at least a 14" bar. Boss just gave me a Home Depot gift card, so if they carry it, that's a bonus.

I was also thinking about buying a small, cheap chainsaw mill, any recommendations? This is NOT for constant use, just once a month or so. Really just looking to cut 10-14" trees across the rings into 1/2" to 2" disks. If you have other ideas on how to do this, let me know! Looked into getting a bigger band saw, but that is very costly...

Any help or advice would be very appreciated! Thanks!

You aren't going to find too much worthwhile on the new market for $200. I'd talke to a few saw shops and scour E-Bay to see what you can find used.

For your discs, you need a chop saw, not a sawmill (saw mill is for cutting boards). For as infrequently as you want to use it, you are probably better off finding somebody who can do that for you.

I meant a firewood chopsaw, not a miter saw. I see these sitting in barns and in the junk piles in the woods all the time...maybe because they were left there the last time somebody lost a limb - but more likely because they were run off of a tractor PTO, and it is just easier to use a chainsaw.

What you linked to is a sawmill. Are you looking to make boards (parallel to the grain) or slice circles? If you want to make boards, the mill you linked would work, but you need a much bigger saw for that. If that is what you want to do, and only a little bit once per month, I'd definately suggest hiring it out. A lot of guys out there with a portable bandmill that will cut for less than $0.50 per board foot. Touch base with Wood Mizer, they have a list of owners who are willing to do that in your area.

For the chainsaw: You can find something for less than $200, but if you are doing at least 10 cords per year, it is worth spending a little more. If you can hover around the $300 range, I think you will be much happier. Stick to the major brands: Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Johnsered, etc. Bailey's also carriers Makita, Efco, and Tanaka. I have never run those brands, and haven't even looked much into them...but I do trust Bailey's enough to know that they will not sell the absolute junk that Walmart, et. al. will...

Having said that, I recommend a new chainsaw buyer look for the shop, then buy what they are selling. (eg: "should I buy Sthil or Husqvarna"? My answer: "find a dealer for each near you, talk to them, and buy from the dealer that you like more"). That is how I ended up with Husqvarna when I first started my business. There is a dealer that sells both. I went in and told him "I am not married to either brand ...which do you want to sell me?".

Once you pick a dealer, ask if they have a good used saw. A good dealer isn't going to sell you something that won't work. You could get something cheaper off of E-Bay, but it sounds like you don't know what to look for, and an E-Bay will probably need serviced anyhow. So if you go used, just pay a little more to know what you are getting from a good shop who has run through the saw and has it ready to go.

Since I am a Husqvarna guy (nothing against other brands). I'd look at a Husqvarna 435 or 445. Echo CS 370 is another that should fall around that $300 price. I do think these 2 brands are a priced a little better than Stihl...but the Stihl users will be by shortly to tell you that I am wrong and that you get what you pay for. I'm not going to argue, because I am content with what I have and am happy to let others be content with what they have.

PS: Use that Home Depot card for chaps, a forestry helmet, and safety glasses if you don't already have them!

look on here for a used husky 346 nmurphs or a stihl 026/260 you can get a quality used one for 300 and that was a great idea using the gift card for safety.

You can also find refurbished husky 445's for around 200. Usually come with warranty and are quite a bit of saw for the money. You will likely need a larger saw for milling, however.
Good luck

Latest posts

Back