Chainsaw brands used for work Daily

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand are you using for Work Daily?

• Stihl

Votes: 80 44.0%
  • Husky

Votes: 56 30.8%
  • Jonsered

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Echo

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Homelite

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • mac

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • poulan

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Shindawa

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Misc Brands

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
begleytree

begleytree

H. sapiens moderatus
Run a Husky for any length of time? Never saw but one that WOULD run for any length of time. It was a 372, great saw, ironically discontinued.........

Like a guy I know says, "Now figure that out"

I run Stihl because I never have to worry about them. Everytime I pull one off the truck, It performs. Never saw anything else that compares. Saw a lot of huskys that always had to be tinkered with before they would run, or run right.
And with Husky going the way of homeys and macs, ie:box stores, probably won't see many more good ones.
For 15 years I regarded a saw as a tool, merely something to cut with, while I immersed myself in learning the skill and art of tree care. Always ran stihls, never had to think about them. Only in the past 5 years have I become interested in modifications of any kind.

You say some must be dumb or blind to run Stihls, I counter that you must be cheap to run a second rate saw, and dumb to rely on it to make you and your families living.
My family deserves nothing less than the best life I can give them, I can't do my best if I'm using an inferior tool.
-Ralph

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
Run stihls at work, Stihls and an old Dolmar 153 at home. Only ever ran one husky on a regular basis at work, a little 242 that was a complete gas to deal with. Wish we still had it! It was stolen along with 10 other chainsaws, 3 cutoff saws, two generators, etc. Don't remember what else, but the took a pickup and loaded everything in it that would fit onm top of the stuff we left in it friday night. (locked shop). When they tendered for replacements (municipal government) we got a TS400, an 066, two 038's, two 034's, andtwo 026's. (four or five years ago). Sreiously considering a little tinkering (muffler mods) when no one's looking, the 034's and 026's are a little on the dead side compared to my own stuff. Stick with stihl at home because of dealer location. New dealer just opened up, sold one of the stihl dealerships a few years ago (was a very good dealer) and now is getting back in business. May have to try out Jonsered........

toolfreak

toolfreak

ArboristSite Operative
kf_tree said:
what i'd like to know is ..........of all the stihl fans, what % of them actually used husky's for any length of time? is the stihl suport just blind allegiance with no real reason? you know "because my dad ran a stihl so i'm gonna run stihl". or have they just lost all mental capacity for rational thought?

Your right, no rational thought!

DanManofStihl

DanManofStihl

ArboristSite Guru
I think Begley hit the nail on the head with his post. Out here stihl is the majority of chainsaw out here trimmers and stuff. SOme of the smaller lawn care companies have some echos and some cheap huskeys. But all of the big ones around have stihl with exmark mowers or toro.

pallis

pallis

ArboristSite Operative
The Dolmar and Olympyk get steady use, and the new 372 is getting a break in. I knew Stihl made trimmers, but didn't know they were still making chain saws. Are they as good as Poulan?

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good one pallis.

I run Husky, stihl, dolmar, Shindaiwa Echo and Craftsman (Solo 651), in order from most to least. They all work. Local dealer support is fine here for Stihl and Husky. I don't think much of ELux's box store policy, but nor am I impressed with Stihl's sales practices or elitism...

However, if I had to run a saw bone stock, and buy new ones, I would never buy a current Stihl 260 or larger saw. In order to be compliant with EPA, Stihl has severely restricted the muffler ports on all their pro saws, yet has pretty much kept the published power rating unchanged, I think. But, cut with a new saw and you'll see firsthand that they are gutless. By contrast, the newish 7900 Dolmar did not do that, and will easily outcut a 460.

Obviously, as the future EPA requirements kick in, most of the good old saws will go by the wayside, as the 372 has done. if Stihl is making any headway at producing new compliant models, it isn't showing as yet. And Husky's new saw so far are a disappointment, it seems. Beyond the EPA issues, each saw line has its benefits, Stihl's start easier, last qute well, and have the best side tensioners. Husky has better filtration, ergonomics, dampening systems, and overall, a bit better power, perhaps. And, at least in my experience, good durability, reliability and longevity. True the 335 is surpassed by the 200T, but not by nearly as miuch as many think...

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
kf_tree said:
what i'd like to know is ..........of all the stihl fans, what % of them actually used husky's for any length of time? is the stihl support just blind allegiance with no real reason? you know "because my dad ran a stihl so i'm gonna run stihl". or have they just lost all mental capacity for rational thought?

I sure thought about it, and would have liked to, but it's hard to use a Husky if your freinds also have Stihl, and can't buy them or get them serviced. Out here in this part of Western Washington the issue is both sales and service. There is only two Husky dealers (NOT including the low end stuff sold in the home stores) within 30 miles of where I live, and it not much better anywhere else here. Stihl is everywhere (about every 5 miles, or as many dealerships as they can "justify" to the other dealers) :), but let's not equate that with "good service" - depends on the store and tech. What's it like in the rest of the county?

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
The poll only lets you select one brand. I run Stihl, PoulanPro , Echo, and Dolmar on the primary truck-there is a little Solo on there too that seldom gets used. There are Huskies Stihl, Dolmar and Jonsereds on the other truck-Reliable saws that don't run everyday but always run when called upon. Between Stihl and Husky LARGE saws my preference is Husky. Dolmar beats them both but they are all good.

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Lakeside53 said:
I sure thought about it, and would have liked to, but it's hard to use a Husky if your freinds also have Stihl, and can't buy them or get them serviced. Out here in this part of Western Washington the issue is both sales and service. There is only two Husky dealers (NOT including the low end stuff sold in the home stores) within 30 miles of where I live, and it not much better anywhere else here. Stihl is everywhere (about every 5 miles, or as many dealerships as they can "justify" to the other dealers) :), but let's not equate that with "good service" - depends on the store and tech. What's it like in the rest of the county?

within around a 70 miles radius i do not know of a good dealer for repairs. i have a husky dealer that is good to me as far as parts priceing and getting them fast. i bought a few saw's from him but get most of them through the mail. i have a 353 that won't run right and i couldn't figure it out. it's been with a husky dealer for over 9 months now. the local stihl guy tried ripping me off the first time i was there so i'll never go back.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
rbtree said:
Good one pallis.

IHowever, if I had to run a saw bone stock, and buy new ones, I would never buy a current Stihl 260 or larger saw. In order to be compliant with EPA, Stihl has severely restricted the muffler ports on all their pro saws, yet has pretty much kept the published power rating unchanged, I think.

Stihl has changed the specs and power, but you have to look very carefully as they slip it in the literature without calling attention to the change. Example: The O26 for a year or more has a larger cylinder and more cc, and the HP is shown at 3.2. Ask your local dealer if he knows this! A lot of of 026 discussion on this site (and the "open the muffler" talk) doesn't distinguish between the three model variations : 1) the original 3.4hp 49cc 026, 026-pro and MS260 ; the downgraded 49cc MS260 3.2hp model (same cylinder and muffled muffler/carb; 3) the newer MS260 3.2hp model with the 44.7MM bore and 51cc. I suspect the 44.7mm increase was in response to the obvious decrease in torque and power of the first EPA choked model, and has a lot better torque, but I haven't tried it in wood. BTW, I love my 026-PRO (original) with fully adjustable carb (o.k., so I did swap the carbs...).

Dadatwins

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
I grew up using Homelite in the 70's & early 80's, until they turned to complete junk, had a bunch of poulan s25 that were great as a climbing saw, thought is was a well made reliable saw. Had a husky 335 that was a great runner, but oiler was screwed up. Now strictly Stihl saws for daily use. ms200, 036, 038, 044, 046, 066 all reliable and great running saws. I have both stihl and echo hand held blowers and find them equally reliable. My echo gas powered pole saw is also much easier to use than the same stihl model. I use my stihl dealer for some parts, but there are so many parts sources online now with internet forums and ebay, my dealer purchased parts is limited. I have one Dolmar 401 set up with a 16" bar that is a great ground saw and very reliable also. My vote was for stihl because that is what I have the most of and use majority of time. Would vote for for echo and dolmar also since both products I use from them stand up very well against the similiar stihl in my opinion. I do not know about the entire product line of the other companies only what I have used.

pitkas

pitkas

ArboristSite Member
Why is there so many broken down stihls on ebay? There are at least a dozen stihls at on time listed with bad pistons. There are more stihls than you can shake a stick at that need to be fixed up( ie, bad clutch, bad break).

When I check Husqvarna there are hardly any parts saws, or fixer ups. Can anyone explain this?

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
pitkas said:
Why is there so many broken down stihls on ebay? There are at least a dozen stihls at on time listed with bad pistons. There are more stihls than you can shake a stick at that need to be fixed up( ie, bad clutch, bad break).

When I check Husqvarna there are hardly any parts saws, or fixer ups. Can anyone explain this?

Yeah, there are alot of freakin' Stihls out there being used by alot of freakin' retards. Not so true with Husky.

Russ

woodsrider

woodsrider

ArboristSite Member
jokers said:
Yeah, there are alot of freakin' Stihls out there being used by alot of freakin' retards. Not so true with Husky.
Russ
Russ: Stirrin' the pot just a little? Not that I necessarily disagree, of course....
38818998-M.gif

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
pitkas said:

There's just a lot more Stihls out there than than Huskys, and Ebay is a great place to dump your junk, sadly...

Latest posts