Chainsaw brands used for work Daily

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand are you using for Work Daily?

• Stihl

Votes: 80 44.0%
  • Husky

Votes: 56 30.8%
  • Jonsered

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Echo

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Homelite

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • mac

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • poulan

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Shindawa

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Misc Brands

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nothing new here, Sthil of course. If Husky had more dealers and parts more available I'd have more Husky saws in the line up. I got to get my hands on a Jonserd too, some day it will happen.

Larry

Russ is right, only the pros use Husky look at the Game of Logging, Arbormaster, SFI, etc.

Oh I forgot the Stihl timbersmacks, lets see how fast I can chop through this block. Only for the TV stars/ false lumbersmacks/ 029 weekend woodlot wanna bes. :laugh:

Husky288XP said:
Russ is right, only the pros use Husky look at the Game of Logging, Arbormaster, SFI, etc.

:laugh:

That is a really good one, I needed a good laugh tonight !! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks XP

Mange said:
I can inform you that 75% here is HVA the rest is split between Jonny red and that other brand...... Oh, yes Stihl...

Nah, Mange is just joking.

His Huskies and others are only for collection puposes. I bet he uses a Stihl when he goes into the woods for real tree work .. :p

Its Husky for me love the 346xp and the 365 great saws. I've used STIHLs but i prefer the balance and lower vibs on the Husky. We have a really good dealer for Husky and STIHL stuff and i can get most of what i want there. Use Husky brushcutters and hedgecutters too. Used a STIHL hedgecutter once and it was no where near as good as the 325HD60 we had. Although the 325HD60 is the worlds most temprmental hedgecutter. Never had any problems with Husky saws though.

HiOctane said:
Me too,cant believe that with so many 346,372 running.In my area,Husqui rules and BY FAR over Stihl.Though,Stihl rules in the clearing saws with the FS 450 and 480.

The FS 450 is a beast and its very very good but have a go on a Husky 345Rx and you'll be amazed. Its a bit slower to accelerate than the STIHL but once its going it makes for a much more plesent days brushcutting than the 450. Got nice little features such as ego cruse. Down side is the silly warm start up setting half throttle. If you go up to the next modle you get heated handles too. There quite resiliant too we run one for 20mins on neat petrol before it died.(Long story)

The reason Stihl parts are so popular on e-bay is that they sell good, not so with
Husqvarna parts. Other brands even worse.

Fish said:
The reason Stihl parts are so popular on e-bay is that they sell good, not so with
Husqvarna parts. Other brands even worse.

Fish is absolutely correct, far more interested chevy buyers out there than Yugo buyers.

Obviously if Stihl as an example have 10 times more saws out there then it closest rival, it will generate far more interest and demand than anything else.

Thats the way it is when you are #1 with any product in a given field, business, industry, sport etc.

The FS 450 is a beast and its very very good but have a go on a Husky 345Rx and you'll be amazed. Its a bit slower to accelerate than the STIHL but once its going it makes for a much more plesent days brushcutting than the 450. Got nice little features such as ego cruse. Down side is the silly warm start up setting half throttle. If you go up to the next modle you get heated handles too. There quite resiliant too we run one for 20mins on neat petrol before it died.(Long story)[/QUOTE]
I work with a 345 Fx also,like the beast also,but i dont work too much with,because the forester give me only 2.1 ha to do this year(done) and last year ,i cleared 4.5 Ha with.

kf_tree said:
what i'd like to know is ..........of all the stihl fans, what % of them actually used husky's for any length of time? is the stihl suport just blind allegiance with no real reason? you know "because my dad ran a stihl so i'm gonna run stihl". or have they just lost all mental capacity for rational thought?

Can only speak for myself, but, we ran so many brands in the past I can't remember them all. Grandpa is still partial to Mac, but they are not the same, he misses the old Mac's. I've ran Husky's, my dad owns one still. With all that said, Stihl is the only brand left not diluted by "chain stores" and cheapened by "mass production". While not every saw they (stihl) makes can withstand vigorous punishment everyday, the ones aimed at that type of use, can. IMO, they are the best saws at this time. It also helps we have a great dealer, but they can only do so much. The saw's speak for themselves, no dealer can survive selling poor quality saws.

i'm just real surprised by this thread.....i just thought it was a ford vs chevy thing but the % is overwhelming for stihl. i've always been happy with my larger husky's. mabey because i always had the classic's.346, 254, 257,357,359, 272, 371, 372, 281, 288,385, 394, 395. my boss did buy a 350 and one other small one that turned out to be crap.

but then again the majority of people in this country elected bush for a second term, so much for the % thing meaning the wise choice. :p

pitkas said:
Why is there so many broken down stihls on ebay? There are at least a dozen stihls at on time listed with bad pistons. There are more stihls than you can shake a stick at that need to be fixed up( ie, bad clutch, bad break).

When I check Husqvarna there are hardly any parts saws, or fixer ups. Can anyone explain this?

My theory on this, is this: The saw has to actually RUN in order to wear out. Now if the only saws out there that are actually running are Stihl's, then yeah, they will wear out. A lot of people would rather buy a new one than rebuild a wore out old one. Hence the large number of wore out ones on E-bay.

neverenough said:
My theory on this, is this: The saw has to actually RUN in order to wear out. Now if the only saws out there that are actually running are Stihl's, then yeah, they will wear out. A lot of people would rather buy a new one than rebuild a wore out old one. Hence the large number of wore out ones on E-bay.

I believe you have a very valid point, once a new piece of machinery is purchased ,owned and operated by the same person and he decides he no longer wants to throw good money in to it and that it would be preferable to purchase a new replacement many times he will give it in on trade and the shop will sell it to third parties who in turn will sell them on e-bay or flea markets claiming they are in anything from like new condition, to used but very good, to needs carb work, to purchased at an estate sale. Eventually however many people end up with someone elses junk that is far from being worth the money they paid for it. A lot of these should be sold for used parts only at best. Personnally I very rarely purchase anything used, just to darn expensive mid and long term, and can't afford the frustration and aggravation.

Lakeside53 said:
I sure thought about it, and would have liked to, but it's hard to use a Husky if your freinds also have Stihl, and can't buy them or get them serviced. Out here in this part of Western Washington the issue is both sales and service. There is only two Husky dealers (NOT including the low end stuff sold in the home stores) within 30 miles of where I live, and it not much better anywhere else here. Stihl is everywhere (about every 5 miles, or as many dealerships as they can "justify" to the other dealers) :), but let's not equate that with "good service" - depends on the store and tech. What's it like in the rest of the county?

Actually, there's at least 4 shops, one in North City, one off 164th, besides Dunlap and Sharp Shop. But I don't use them much. I get parts from Bailey's, saws on the net, or used on eBay. I've scored many good used saws, including a shiny 372 for $360 last month that won't have the rpm limiter like the newest ones. It went straight to Ed for modding, who also has a new 346, my old Madsen's tuned 372 that had a rod bearing go out, but is worth modding he says, and a like new 192T that I got on ebay.

I also have an 044 with a bad piston that is an early one. Ed says they were the ones that had bad cranks, but were way fast, till they broke. So mine may be one of those, and the crank is fine. I have all the replacement parts, I may have Ed mod it too. I always liked 044's, as well, they are noticably a little lighter than 372's. My other 044 is still going, though I was told it had a bad seal or bearing. I rarely use it, but have it mounted with my Simpson capstan winch. I also have an 036 in need of minor top end work, and might as well mod it too. Maybe it could compete with my ehp 357.

I have two great dealers in my area, one Stihl the other Husky,Jonsered,Redmax. If I get a new saw from one dealer I will buy the next saw from the other. I have 7 Stihls, 6 Huskys and one Redmax. I use a different saw each day. My favorite saw is one that runs 8 hours with no problems.

stihl

I can only tell what I see in my area. The Stihl dealers have a much better reputation than the Husky dealers. BUT, Husky will put a dealer on every corner, a lot of shops around here may only sell 20 to 30 saws a year.
Just how can a dealer be proficient at specific model repair at that low figure.

I am going to blow my own horn hear. Practice makes perfect. We average over 200 saws a year, and double that in repairs. I am not that much smarter, I just see these problems more often and know what to do from experience. Plus sticking with it, even if it takes more time on the first one.

The service end will sell saws. If an operator smashes a saw or has another problem, but knows he can have it back very shortly, where do you think he will buy the next one?

I just think Stihl has more commitment to the operator down the road than the others, overall. Sure, this one's warranty may be longer, but if you can't get it fixed, what good is it? IMHO

OK, enough ranting. Let's just say I needed to air out, in a Fish sort of way. :dizzy:

So true, I have said it before and I will repeat it probably for the 100th time and this claim is for my area, the only long term dealers around here are and have been Stihl. Husky keep changing theirs every other year or so and these new dealers just don't know their saws, carry virtually nothing but fast moving parts and little in accessories, i think they actually do not really know what they should keep as far as stock be it saws, parts or accessories. They talk saws like they talk about a 5 hp lawn-mower to a lady buyer. !! nice red color isn't it!! ''That will cut true wet and dry with no problems''

G, I never see anyone walking in or out of there with a saw new or used.

I hope Dolmar do much better with their dealer network and dealer training.

rbtree said:
Actually, there's at least 4 shops, one in North City, one off 164th, besides Dunlap and Sharp Shop. But I don't use them much. I get parts from Bailey's, saws on the net, or used on eBay.QUOTE]

O.k., 28 miles then :) I live over by Duvall... yes, you're right there are a few, but not all that many for the greater Seattle area...

geofore said:
Not really a fair poll as I use two brands, Dolmar and Husky; you only get to vote for one in your poll. This will skew the poll results.
That sure is true!

I have not voted, as I don't use saws every day.

I switched to almost all huskys last year at this time but had been running them for a year prior to that. I've gotten tired of replacing fuel tanks on 372's that crack where the handle bolts on to the bottom of the tank. No my cutter nor I pull on the saws when we get hung up, we will give it a couple of gentil pulls and if it doesn't come free we try some thing else like cutting it out with another saw. My big gripe is the box store policy has put ALL of my local dealers out of business except one that is thirty five miles away but even he doesn't stock hardly any saws anymore because of lowes. When the 372's that I'm running now wear out its back to 460s, never had ANY trouble out of them.

Latest posts

Back