Chainsaw brands used for work Daily

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand are you using for Work Daily?

• Stihl

Votes: 80 44.0%
  • Husky

Votes: 56 30.8%
  • Jonsered

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Echo

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Homelite

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • mac

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • poulan

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Shindawa

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Misc Brands

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for the concern, chowdozer. I understand the sensitivity in using trademarks without permission. I suppose if Husky gets upset, they can have their lawyers send me a cease and desist letter or some other type of nastygram! :laugh:

One interesting tidbit about Husky's logo is that in 1986 or 1987, Electrolux sold the Husqvarna motorcycle division to Cagiva, an Italian company. The sale apparently included the use of the old Husky gunsight logo, because Cagiva still uses it for their Husqvarna motorcycle division (made in Italy, not Sweden). To the average person, the motorcycle and chain saw logos are indistinguishable, yet they are being used by two different companies without (to my knowledge) any common ownership or control.

I made money using three saws this year, not much but some blocking up some huge firewood for a friend. The three saws I used where a P51 Pioneer-32", a 505 Poulan Pro-24" and a (gulp) 380 McCulloch-30". The 505 was one I was demoing when Poulan ment something. The other two dinosaurs I came across used. The guy chickened out with his 61 & 261(?) Huskies and I've had Stihl owners borrow the P51 too. I've seen them all quit and I've seen them all go longer than you would have thaught they should. A local dealer that can get you going again quickly should mean more than a saws colors. And don't feed me some line on Stihls not breaking, I've found them to be more fussy than Dolmars, Huskies, Johnies and SOME models of Poulan & Homelite.

I didn't imagine I'd be the first one to be writing this, but I still use McCulloch saws for my cutting (PowerMac 610, Eager Beaver 3.7, Pro-Mac 10-10S). A few years ago, I purchased a Husqvarna 257 because I knew the Macs were becoming an orphan breed (after the demise of the original McCulloch Co.) and I wanted to have a current production saw for when the Macs wore out. Well, the long and short of it is that I found myself still favoring the yellow saws and they haven't worn out yet, so the Husqvarna sits idle more than not.
As to the question of different brands, I have probably handled nearly all of them made in the last 30 years in my work as a mechanic. I can truthfully say that each company has sold some models that were/are complete duds (McCulloch included) and for the most part each has sold some good cutters too. After seeing them all, I still prefer the McCulloch saws I own (personal taste). As for which company offers the best stuff available today, I would favor Husqvarna although I am concerned with some of the newest models I am seeing. I believe that in the end, one of the most influential factors for saw purchasers/users will be the dealer. As is well documented in these pages, the dealer that treats his customers well and services them right will win their business. The differences between brands of saws is often less important to a customer than the way the dealer treats them.

Last edited:
Well laugh all you want, I still use 2 SXLAO's and a couple of Pioneers, 1100 Holiday and a 1073. I don't use them everyday but a few days a week. I also have a small Husky 36 for little stuff. I also drag out a C-5 and a C-7 every now and then. I may be getting my hands on a 372xp and an 026. If I do, I will list them for sale and they are in terrific shape! They are Park Service saws, really low hours!

old poll

Here's the old poll for the new guys starting the polls again in new threads.

stihltech said:
Now I can see why sales are up 33 per cent so far this year.

You weren't suppose to let anyone know that. I'm just glad you didn't mention that they have had 17 "record years" of growth in a row and also have grown at a faster pace than all saw compaines since 1974. The last 17have been whoppers though. Its gotton to the point they can't hardly meet world demand anymore. How well do they sell, try over 35,000 saws in one day in Virginia when hurricane Isabella came through. The main distributor for the Va area is based in NC was cleaned out. The factory in Va Beach was depleted of saws. They had to truck saws from across the country to Va to meet demand. Remember all in one single day. Only 4375 saws a hour in one state in one day, not too shabby....

I haven't added to the poll, as I don't use them daily, although quite a bit.

Most of the tree companies and loggers in the area run Huskys and Jreds. I think it all has to do with dealer support and huskys dealer support is heading out by the curb waiting to be picked up by the trash truck.

Freakingstang said:
I haven't added to the poll, as I don't use them daily, although quite a bit.

Most of the tree companies and loggers in the area run Huskys and Jreds. I think it all has to do with dealer support and huskys dealer support is heading out by the curb waiting to be picked up by the trash truck.

Stang you said it all. People buy where they can get it serviced and get parts and so on. Stihl early on not only built a good product but a network to sell the product. He put together the largest network in the world to sell his product. Thats how Stihl got so big. When the network goes and the service goes so goes the product no matter how good it is. Ole boy was a genius and a salesman as well as a saw builder.

Latest posts

Back