Chainsaw chain sharpener choices?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I been using one of these for over 2 years:
https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Tool...1522439588&sr=8-3&keywords=chainsaw+sharpener

The other day it cost $33. Not sure why the price went up $15. Not to difficult to set up. Does a great job on chains.

I threw one of those out a while back. Biggest hunk of **** that could claim to be a grinder. The plastic flexed so much there was no chance in hell of being able to be remotely accurate... to the point 1 tooth would be sharpened a skim, the next may be ok, not sharpen at all or grind 1/2 the tooth off.
Could do a better job with a 9" angle grinder in an earthquake after putting down a case of beer.

Yeah. My neighbor has the same thing. He's about given up on it, and has me sharpen his chains.

I threw one of those out a while back. Biggest hunk of **** that could claim to be a grinder. The plastic flexed so much there was no chance in hell of being able to be remotely accurate... to the point 1 tooth would be sharpened a skim, the next may be ok, not sharpen at all or grind 1/2 the tooth off.
Could do a better job with a 9" angle grinder in an earthquake after putting down a case of beer.

I just picked up a Northern Tool sharpener with 3 wheels that look brand new for $35 off CL. Leave my first grinder set up with the CBN wheel for 3/8, most of my chains, and this new one set up for 3/8 lp and .325. No more PITA wheel changes.

I have an Oregon 510A that works awesome. Stays true, cuts consistent and was well worth the $150 imo. Forget that cheap junk.

Attachments

• IMG_20180331_211828.jpg
    IMG_20180331_211828.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
I actually have an area for sharpening, it was just cluttered with junk. The freezer is the designated pic area.

Me too, the workbench is covered with the Husky project. The indoor work bench is next to the freezer and when its full, I use the freezer for stacking overflow stuff. I've been building a new outdoor workbench and welding area, so I'm really in upheaval. I've got junk everywhere and can't find anything I need.

I use a multi-speed dremel on low setting with the 5/32, 3/16, 7/32 stones and I have very good luck with it. When chains get wore down I switch to a worn stone of the next size up and file the rakers down a bit and I like what I get. The grinding stones don't hold up well but they are cheap. I use a 1" square of 4" long wood with 30 degree lines drawn on it in the shape of a "w" to hold against the bar as I grind to give me a constant angle to shoot for and hope I keep it at 90 degrees perpendicular to the bar. I count 1001, 1002, and move on, using a light touch. Sometimes I do better than others but mostly I get chips coming out the back of the saw.

Dremel has a sharpening kit that comes with a guide the screws onto the front of the grinder. It has 2 embossed lines that help you get the 30 degree angle correct and also helps control the depth of grind. In about 3 mins I can put a very sharp edge on a chain without removing it from the saw.

Back