Chainsaw chaps--ouch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for Labonville full wrap chaps here. For years I didn't wear them, but after joining here and realizing what I could do to myself I heeded the advice given here and bought them. Even tho I wear them, I don't plan on testing them out.:msp_wink:

I have 2 pairs.

One is a stihl homeowner zip on pair, great with shorts when warm or over jeans.

The other Labonville full wrap chaps with the buckles to get them tight.

Haven't tested either, but use them when cutting seriously especially in the bush. Noodling a piece of too large wood at home I generally don't.

I bought the full wrap actually hoping for more Kevlar up the back of the legs for some extra snake armour to be honest. Not quite as much as I expected, but it all helps.

I work in the woods . Never go in without my helmet and chaps. The best chaps made in my opinion is labonville full wrap. And yes they have different lengths and sizes to somewhat of a degree. The best choice

Good pair of Jeans=$30 bucks.
Fuel to drive to Hospital=$15 Bucks
Blanket ER visit=$200 Bucks
Stitches= $50 bucks per stitch
Anesthetic, antiseptic, razor used to shave the bloody hair=$200 bucks.
Antibiotic script=$70 bucks

Time off work?= a ####load.

Chaps are cheap.

I was cutting brush - just a little light cleanup along a driveway - with another gentleman when he had the saw kickback and go to the bone. He got the ambulance ride and a long recovery. I did two things. Bought chaps, and when the opportunity presented itself became a certified first responder. Chaps are like seatbelts- they get to be habit and you hope that you regret not using for that "short" trip/just a couple trips. I wear mine 100% of the time.

Where can I get chaps that are 42" ? I measured from the belt to the top of the foot .

Scott

There will be something. Labonville do 40" 44" and 48" in the full wrap - see Bailey's - Labonville Full-Wrap Chainsaw Safety Chaps

So the 44 may hang just a fraction long or a 40 may suit sitting on the hip and just above boots depending on the style you wear. Hard to say exactly..... They do have good fitting info on Baileys site as well.

I've been wearing a set of husqvarna from Lowes for 2 seasons now. I really like them. I feel naked if Icut without them.
I have two "nicks" in them already. Just the slightest touch and the chain pulled a whole wad of fibers out of the chaps.
I have been cutting tops most of the time and they are full of briars and such. Extra protection.

I have also gotten into the habit of wearing them while splitting. There is no work surface on my splitter just the beam so I rest half the round against my chaps while splitting the other half.
Sure saves on the jeans!
Best $40 investment ever!:doctor:

Definitely a good idea to wear chaps. I won't cut without mine. I've seen enough guys drill their legs with saws to know they can save your legs, if not your life. I ripped a pair once....luckily it didn't bite too deep into the kevlar but it certainly was enough of a major-pucker-factor to let me know I didn't want to cut without chaps ever.

Pants

I opted for the full pants over the chaps. Mine are the husqvarna brand, I believe there are others. They are very comfortable, have nice pockets, including the wedge pocket, and added bonus for guys who cut where the white dirt hangs around for a long part of the year, warm. Easy to get on over boots as well with zippers at the bottom of the legs, meaning the protection can go right down to the toe area of the boot.

I got a set of Labonville full-wrap chaps for Christmas. I had a pair of chainsaw pants I got last year that were way too hot to wear in the summer.

I cut bout 10 cords of firewood a year for 25 years with no chaps or leg protection. After reading of others go were cut and seeing the YouTube videos I wanted a pair of chaps bad. I got the pants last year used. They were thrown in with a bunch of loops I bought from a guy that used to be a Husqvarna dealer. After Jim the chaps once I am very impressed with the fit, quality and comfort over the pants.

Like others have said the cost of chaps compared to an injury or death are cheap. I have a neighbor who was too lazy to set up a sawhorse to cut a 2x4 and used his thigh instead. He cut over his leg and not the meat. Years later he still limps. I don't cut corners on safety anymore, that's how you get cut. I am counting my blessings for the years I don't wear chaps and didn't get cut. I guess I am getting wiser as the years roll on.

Bob

Just ask my brother in law if he wears chaps when wood cutting. He tells me, "No I am not as anal or conservative as you".

Thinks he is the smartest guy in the world....

gg

My $50.00 Bailey's Chaps paid for themselves just the other day. I notched a tree with the old 441, went around the side to check the notch and the saw made this funny noise. Looked down and the chain tunnell was all jammed with the chap fibers. Never felt a thing, but it would have been a few stiches for sure.
Thing is, once you buy a set of chaps, you'll feel like a real fool if you cut yourself when not wearing them. Having said that I don't always put them on if I'm just cleaning up a little brush or something, but you get the point. G

Thanks love the feedback and storys. I am considerining the pants now, any issues?THOUGHTS???

i opted for the full pants over the chaps. Mine are the husqvarna brand, i believe there are others. They are very comfortable, have nice pockets, including the wedge pocket, and added bonus for guys who cut where the white dirt hangs around for a long part of the year, warm. Easy to get on over boots as well with zippers at the bottom of the legs, meaning the protection can go right down to the toe area of the boot.

thanks was just looking at them on line!!

Thanks love the feedback and storys. I am considerining the pants now, any issues?THOUGHTS???

I would say get whatever you think you'll wear. Chaps take a few seconds to put on, once they are adjusted.

Chaps also easily adjust for more/less clothing depending on how warm/cold it is when cutting.

I have the Labonville Chaps(actually a few pair) and they have saved me at least one nasty cut.
The situation happened so fast, there was no way I could react quickly enough to stop it.

Back