chainsaw files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorty2000us

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just bought the granberg file guide & good files from baileys, and love it. Bought the timberline last year, not really impressed with it. Anyway, my question is how will I know when my file is shot? Maybe to most of u its a dumb question, but I have zero experience using any type of file. My mileage may vary, but roughly how many sharpenings do you guys get out of a file? I bought pferd & save edge. Just a few strokes on each tooth, no rocked out chains. Yet. Thanks & love this site. I read on my coffee break & lunch, and as soon as I get fires going after work, I'm on here on & off all night. Thanks again. Josh

Uh-oh - another Josh. Does that mean I have to leave??

Welcome anyway!
I've never clocked how many sharpenings I get with a file, especially since I think I got a few bad ones in a box. Quite a few, if that helps. When they don't seem to work well, I first hit them with a wire brush, and if still no-go, then in the recycle bin they go.

It depends.
I buy "whatever" files from my Stihl dealer (they ain't Stihl files). They're just layin' loose in a plain brown bulk box, no "brand" label, and I'm happy with them. Just doin' touch-ups they seem to never wear out... but if I have to repair a chain, I'll near always grab a new one and toss the file I've been using for touch-up. Keep the chips cleared, the rust away, and cover it with black tap to protect the teeth when not in use... it'll surprise you how lone they last doin' touch-up and light sharpening. Don't worry. you'll "feel" when they ain't cuttin' properly...

If you are using RS or another chisel bit chain, before you go get bad habits, get a goofy file and do it that way. Two files in one as a bonus.

Files vary, as do chains, so it is difficult to say how many sharpenings you get with each one. When the file skitters across a tooth instead of cutting you will know it has dulled. No pressure on the back stroke will make for longer file life.
Dulled files can be chemicaly resharpened by degreasing then suspending, handle up, in muriatic acid over night.

how will I know when my file is shot?
With a Granberg guide, it'll be a while, IME. Seriously, I find that the Swiss files sold under Oregon's label, last many, many sharpenings for both 5/32" and 7/32". (Sorry, Commandant Lassard.) Too many to count. As Spidey sez, keep chips cleared.

In normal use, only ~1/2 the area of the file is used, unless you rotate the file 90 deg every so many months. If you suspect one is getting dull look carefully at its teeth. Shiny = duller than brand new, but likely suitable for touch-ups. It's not that clear-cut, but when you thnk it's time grab a new one.

Granberg & proper size file, definitely THE way to get a chain razor-sharp.

What do you use? Do you machine grind each time, use a timberland, have somebody else sharpen or just buy new?
Fast an easy
MP10007221169_P255045_180X180.jpg

Welcome to the site.

You can generally feel when the file does not 'bite' or dig in when you take a stroke. That's when it is time to bust out a new file.

Here is a tip. Put a straw over/on the file to protect it from getting dinged up in your tackle when you take it to the field if you do not have some sort of case to put it in.

Is this the link > Granberg filing < device you guys are referring to?

JT

You should note that whatever idiot composed the ad, has it clamped on the bar backwards, using the chain stop against the depth gauge. Totally twisted! Que pendejo!

If you go to use one, and study the job for a minute or so, it's so obvious.

Latest posts

Back