Chainsaw gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob Wright said:
Alkylate fuel is started out from "dino fuel". After the crude oil is seperated and sent to other parts of the refinery, the vapors from different processes and some C3's-C4's (propane) are sent to an Alky unit for mixing there. I work in a refinery and we make it everyday. We use it for a blendstock for gasoline....Bob

Tell us more....

lostone said:
OK, now I run the highest grade of gas I can purchase at the pump for my chainsaw, but my question is, are you sure you are getting the highest grade gas when you pay for it, I got to thinking about it the other day, you have someone in front of you buy the lowest grade gas then you pull up and buy a gallon of the highest grade into the gas tank for your saw, my question is if you only buy one gallon of gas wouldn't you still only be getting the low grade that is still in the hose?

Now you've done it. I am just going to -have- to check it out. I heard way back when that a guy at the local station was keeping his car filled by draining the hoses. I just assumed (I know, I know) that it was bs thinking that there wasn't any remaining in the hose - sucked back in or sumpin. Next time I am out with the PU (needs gas anyhow) a can goes with me and I try draining the hose to see if there is any in there.

Harry K

I can't, trade secret. Just kidding. I don't know the Alky unit at all. I stay far away from it. You could die just touching some liquid HF acid used as a cataylst. You have to wear rubber suits and boots just to get in there. Plus it stinks...Bob

Last edited:
If you are cutting a lot (as in daily, it is your job, etc) I would not be so quick to say that the amount of lead in avgas (2 grams/gallon in 100LL) is insignificant. Lead is both a neurotoxin and carcinogen, and given that your face is right there getting a lungful of exhaust you could be exposing yourself to significant levels if used frequently.

Given the added risk and cost, I just don't see the benefit over simply mixing small amounts of fuel that will be used up in a week or two. Your saw is not gonna benefit from the much higher octane since they are designed to function w/ pump gas.

Blowdown1 said:
If you are cutting a lot (as in daily, it is your job, etc) I would not be so quick to say that the amount of lead in avgas (2 grams/gallon in 100LL) is insignificant. Lead is both a neurotoxin and carcinogen, and given that your face is right there getting a lungful of exhaust you could be exposing yourself to significant levels if used frequently.

Given the added risk and cost, I just don't see the benefit over simply mixing small amounts of fuel that will be used up in a week or two. Your saw is not gonna benefit from the much higher octane since they are designed to function w/ pump gas.

I agree that the benefits are small if you use a plan like the one you mention. However, I dont think the risk of inhaling the lead is a big deal unless you expose youself to it on a constant basis. I have done a little reasearch on this very subject and apparently tetraethyl lead is not very dangerous when in the company of a host hydrocarbon (mixed with gasoline). The products of its combustion however I havent found much information about. I think that you wouldnt be wise to breathe the products of combustion be it leaded or unleaded gas. Especially since in two-strokes you mix oil that has heavy metal (zinc, phosporus, and others) added to the oil.

Unless the pump is an air tight system when the pump shuts of the gas will drain straight back down. Take a look at your sump pump in your house. when the pump shuuts off it drains back down. Only a check valve will keep it from draining.

my guess is the high test is all high test at the pump . different lines i would think,for diferent grades. or the whole thing would be wrong. as to whats in the hose. i dont know . but suspect the line fuel somehow is returned to the pump at the end of refueling. dont know all this is true but sure hope it is.the stations i go to have separate hoses for different grades.so any fuel left in the hose would also be high test.good thought tho.

Alot of your premium fuel gets it's additional octane from the addition of alcohol. Some states allow so much in the fuel with having to tell you. So when it says it contains so much that may be the amount above what they don't have to tell you about.
OK so think about this, just my idea. Alcohol has about the same density as water, oil floats on water I assume it would float on alcohol too. So what happens when you fire your saw up and the first thing it picks up is a slug of alcohol from the bottom of the fuel tank that has no oil in it? Do you still need premium? Curious, because I have never encountered preigniton in a 2cycle engine.

I only use 119 octane or higher. To make sure I have a high level of lead in my gas,
I keep a pound of lead fishing sinkers in my gas can.
I can also assure you all it does not cause dain bramage.

I cannot tolerate a saw that pings.

Be careful with using alcohol gas. Here's the fuel line from my Echo1001VL that had alcohol gas run thru it. The top line is the tank line, still there but sucked shut. The bottom pieces parts line is the outer line, melted off. That was a big problem with saws from the early 1980's when this gas first was used. So those older saws still prob have the old lines in them...Bob

Here in MN, they allow the premium to be non-oxygenated (no ethanol added), and restrict it for use in cars that require it (e.g. high-compression engine sports cars, collector cars and small engines, since they're susceptible to alcohol deteration of components). Most stations that I go to have it.

Last edited:
fish send me a quart of that high octane and dont forget the lead sinkers . im sold .
heck u oughta market that stuff. callit fishes super stuff or something like that. you ll make a million bud. lol

I'm gonna try 100LL

Considering what they are charging for fuel these days, I might as well drop into the airport and get avgas. As far as lead emissions go, let's figure it out. We used to run lots of lead, what 30 years ago? Plus we ran saws on the stuff with 16-1 mix. The emissions related, but lead had to go when the cat converter was plumbed into the exhaust. I really doubt that one could go mad (postal?) on the amount of lead burned in a saw. I don't know what the compression ratio is, but it can't be all that high, but there ain't anything wrong with a little overkill in the fuel mix.

Since I now live 5 miles from Maker's Mark distillery, maybe I can get with them,
since gas prices are higher than their bourbon.
I remember when my dad used to take me fishing, he used to crimp the sinkers with his teeth. He was an inventor and engineer with a 100 patents. Just think what could
have been if we didn't go fishing.
I used to skip school, and then break the thermometer, and play with the ball of
mercury all day, no wonder I am a loser small engine mechanic!
Just some rambling thoughts to ponder.....................................................

But I digresss..........................................................................................

Marco said:
Alot of your premium fuel gets it's additional octane from the addition of alcohol. Some states allow so much in the fuel with having to tell you. So when it says it contains so much that may be the amount above what they don't have to tell you about.
OK so think about this, just my idea. Alcohol has about the same density as water, oil floats on water I assume it would float on alcohol too. So what happens when you fire your saw up and the first thing it picks up is a slug of alcohol from the bottom of the fuel tank that has no oil in it? Do you still need premium? Curious, because I have never encountered preigniton in a 2cycle engine.

Somebody else on here was asking what it meant when the exhaust port side of the piston looked like it was sandblasted. That's detonation, and that's something that could have been prevented from higher octane. Ethanol content is something that seems to depend on area, not just state. I know here in NY they tend to sell more ethanol gas on the interstates.

Latest posts

Back