Chainsaw protective pants for lefty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see all the Leftys come outa the closet. The world is a lot easier on leftys now, when I was a kid teachers would tie your left arm to you side to try and cure us. My dad would get so pissed that I couldn't do things RIGHT. Think that's why I'm so bull headed now. But I run saws RIGHT.

I didn't figure you'd be so par-ticular Northy! Hell the more of them we bag the less of them we'd have in the future.

I married me a hippie gurl, got her setting chokers and splitting fyre wood.;)

Don't even mind the hairy legs much, this one uses soap... Hel she even makes soap from time to time...

I think you're close to the truth. Randy needs to get out and bullbuck a job with a couple of newbies on the ground. You know the kind I mean...guys with more opinions than actual experience. Randy could bring them around. Or send them to town on the first loaded truck dumb enough to give them a ride. That'll get him going again.

Where would you find a kid these days to even try, not many with the right ethic, leftie or not? Randy's just a big meenie and would hurt their feelings. Not sure if you do, but I still remember the first ass chewing I ever saw that had a guy in tears, I liken that chewing boss to Randy in my mind some how. Don't think I would have cried but I sure would not want to have been in that position. Oh, he walked, no rides that morning. Maybe as something in common, they both have iron molecules attached to their testicles. Ha. I will never in my life forget that line from Randy.

Owl

Throughout the years, I have received some monumental ass chewings, delivered by absolute Masters in that field. The best were given out with a calm tone, little or no profanity, with the intent of making you want to do better. The Masters save such ass chewings for those who have exceeded expectations and are expected to excel. they make you feel that you have become a dismal failure and disappointed them beyond measure. One of best was a CDF Ranger named Doyle Metheny. I gave him many rich opportunities, like backing over a fire tool, right in front of his office window, taking a crew to a fire with no foreman, torching two gigantic burn piles in the State Park on a no burn day, falling a Redwood across the Ave of the Giants, the list goes on, you get the idea. I saw him on a weekly basis. First you get the message to go see him, then you cool your heels in the outer office for 15 minutes, while the In-camp Foreman glared at you. Once in Doyle's office, you sat on a low, narrow wooden bench, over a baseboard heater and watched him open his window. He would lean back in his chair, stare at you and say nothing for several minutes, while you stewed on that bench. When he saw you start to sweat, he would lean forward and in a quiet voice ask something like "What in the Devil possessed you?" or the ever popular"Tell me what you were thinking" If you didn't already know, your mind raced trying to figure out what he knew, what he was up to and what minor evil you could cop to. I laugh until my belly is sore now, but let me tell you, at those times, there was nothing to laugh about.

I'm still young so I'm working on my chewing still... but my favorite for when I catch someone in the act of ****ing up, simply ask almost nonchalantly, Whata ya doing? volume only dictated by surrounding noise... then quietly explain what they did wrong and how to fix it... If they listen they get to stick around, if they argue the point as to why and it sounds reasonable ditto (even if I know it won't work ya can't squash creativity), if they ignore me and continue doing said stupid ****, they walk.

Allowing the male ego to save face is very important if you are going to work with them.

Maybe so. But sometimes that whole ego thing is a guy's ( or gal's) worst enemy.
I don't like to yell at people. I really don't like even having to raise my voice. I'd rather school someone who's done something wrong and let them know the right way to do it. You wind up with better employees that way. When the volume goes up so do the tempers...and the egos. I try but I don't always succeed.
I try to go more by the person's attitude toward what they did wrong than the actual event itself. If they have a "don't give a ****" attitude my reaction will be very different than my reaction to somebody who screwed up because he wasn't trained or just had a brain fart.

But when it comes to yelling at people or chewing them out...and some times there just isn't any other alternative... I'd rather piss them off than pack them out.

I was referring to a few guys out there, who can get pretty upset if a woman tells them what to do. There are fewer and fewer of those. Plus, most when you have worked with them for a while and know each other, are very easy to work with. But, there have been a few instances, like one youngster who wasn't gonna listen to no %$# woman. He was led aside by the other loggers and saw the light. Funny, or not, it usually is the young guys. But things are getting better, and the older guys will joke about the hierarchy not being any different at work--they are used to obeying wives at home. :) We can joke about it.

Double_Facepalm.jpg

Loll i really don't feel as that. By the way i've switched the chainsaw from left throttle to right throttle since 3 weeks. Not really easy to brake the habbit but it will do with some more times.... Thx again guys

Look buddy. I'm a southpaw, as is my father (who taught me how to use a chainsaw). I run the saw with my right hand on the rear handle and my left on the handlebar. You use the tool as it is built.

Yep.

Take the advice that you've been given................not just the advice that you wanted to hear...

Yessir.

Figures you'd be a southpaw Ken. You're in good company.

Hey now Northy!:D

Randy's words carry INFINITELY more weight with us than any or your horseshit ever will. He's like a brother to me. Don't want to read what he sez?........................then go piss up a rope.....

Damn right Bob.

IMG_20141101_110329906_zpsd8ykr3a8.jpg

IMG_20141101_110216912_HDR_zps7vxysk8h.jpg

Glad you like the saw Bob. I thoroughly enjoyed building it for you.

The wheels started turning after the 2012 NorCal GTG, where Bob had looked over my SP-81 and said he liked how it sounded when I was bucking up the big DF we had. You made a few comments regarding Bob 'needing' an 82cc Mac. Started looking for a suitable project saw when the PM-850 popped up. It fit the bill, as it was an old Mac with the right character and sound.........................but with enough 'modern' characteristics so that Bob would be likely to use it. Got it as a good (but DIRTY and tired) engine from a guy here.

Cleaned it up and figured out what was needed. Conspired with you guys and gathered all the bits. Built it with new rings, crank seals, gaskets, impulse hose, intake boot, AV mounts, and other NOS bits that I can't remember offhand. Several guys contributed used and new parts. Think it turned out pretty well. It's the strongest 82cc Mac I've ran so far....

This is an opinion guy, watch out it can quote post as fast as light....

Back