Chainsaw Selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisj73

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and I've been viewing the forum because I am looking to purchase a chainsaw. I've read a lot of good advice as well as the "Ford vs. Chevy" discussion. I am looking for a one chainsaw does all solution. I know that is asking alot but since I am focussed on 'Pro" models I can only justify purchasing one right now. I am going to need to to do anything from cutting up fallen trees to occasionally harvesting logs...locust, ash, cherry, probably no more than 24". The saw will not be used for hours every day, but I am looking to use it on a farm (180+ acres) which can be tough on equipment so I am looking at "pro models".

Until this afternoon, I was going to purchase a Dolmar 5100, but I am concerned that it might be a bit small. I've handle the Dolmar 7300 & 7900's and to be honest with you, I find them a bit heavy. I've looked at the Stihl 280 and really liked the feel/balance, but not the construction (homeowner's model). I've looked at the 260 and 361, and ran both, but wasn't impressed (maybe it was the chain). I am also leaning away from Stihl as I don't want to give the local dealer any business.(Bad experience with a phone call asking for advice) I am also looking at the Husqvarna, models 357xp or 372xp.

I was even toying with the John Deere CS 62 until I read the posting where Stihl and John Deere entered into an agreement.(I don't want to be a chainsaw orphan)

What it boils down to is this. Could a 50cc fit the bill or should I look closed to the 60cc (361, 357) range? I've tried to handle as many of the saws as possible to get a feel for them.

I do llike the 5100 and have run one have have to say that it is one smooth running saw. I like the feel/balance of the MS270/280 but have ruled out homeowners saws. I am leaning toward the 357xp or possibly the 372xp. However your input would be appreciated. I realize this has been quite lengthy, but thank you in advance for you patience.

Thanks!
DJ

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and I've been viewing the forum because I am looking to purchase a chainsaw. I've read a lot of good advice as well as the "Ford vs. Chevy" discussion. I am looking for a one chainsaw does all solution. I know that is asking alot but since I am focussed on 'Pro" models I can only justify purchasing one right now. I am going to need to to do anything from cutting up fallen trees to occasionally harvesting logs...locust, ash, cherry, probably no more than 24". The saw will not be used for hours every day, but I am looking to use it on a farm (180+ acres) which can be tough on equipment so I am looking at "pro models".

Until this afternoon, I was going to purchase a Dolmar 5100, but I am concerned that it might be a bit small. I've handle the Dolmar 7300 & 7900's and to be honest with you, I find them a bit heavy. I've looked at the Stihl 280 and really liked the feel/balance, but not the construction (homeowner's model). I've looked at the 260 and 361, and ran both, but wasn't impressed (maybe it was the chain). I am also leaning away from Stihl as I don't want to give the local dealer any business.(Bad experience with a phone call asking for advice) I am also looking at the Husqvarna, models 357xp or 372xp.

I was even toying with the John Deere CS 62 until I read the posting where Stihl and John Deere entered into an agreement.(I don't want to be a chainsaw orphan)

What it boils down to is this. Could a 50cc fit the bill or should I look closed to the 60cc (361, 357) range? I've tried to handle as many of the saws as possible to get a feel for them.

I do llike the 5100 and have run one have have to say that it is one smooth running saw. I like the feel/balance of the MS270/280 but have ruled out homeowners saws. I am leaning toward the 357xp or possibly the 372xp. However your input would be appreciated. I realize this has been quite lengthy, but thank you in advance for you patience.

Thanks!
DJ

If you like the 372xp, get it, you wont regret it, awesome smooth saw. If you into larger then 24" wood you really need something larger then 50cc model. A 50cc will do it, but at a much slower rate, so you will work longer. But a larger saw will get the job done for you in a timely manner.

I went for the above 60cc class and never looked back. The 5100 is a great all around saw, but if you have some 24 inch wood, and can handle something bigger, I would get it.

The 372 is a great simple saw. It felt more nimble than the 7900, but I really love my 7900... If you want a saw that can do it all, I would try the 372, or even the Shindaiwa 757. Another great larger saw, and in some places a great dealer network. Here in CT we have Shindaiwa dealers in some really small towns.

Sorry about your Stihl dealer, but I can't blame you at all. I have 4 different brands myself, but my two cents say the 372 or the 757...

Jason

Last edited:
Welcome! I came here for advice, much like you, and I ended up buying a saw from a member. Then last week my weedwhacker broke, and another member came to the rescue with a replacement part. It's been a great experience altogether.

:clap: GO AS! :cheers:

Did you hear that. He just wants one saw. :hmm3grin2orange: If you stick around here very long we'll change your way of thinking. :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: Chainsaws are like Lays Potato Chips. No one here can own just one.

Welcome to the site and you'll get plenty of recommendations.

Danny

Stihl 441 or 460, either can pull a 24-25" bar with ease.

Also a 440 if you can find one.

I think he said he wanted to avoid Stihl because his dealer stinks... Yes theyare a great saw, but unless there is a Deere dealer next door, I can't blame his for looking at other brands. We always preach about dealer support around here, and his dealer happens to be a dungbeetle.

If you have a dealer nearby, dont count out the Echo CS-670. 20-24" bar is no problem for it, and it's smooth as silk. Good air filtration too.

One saw does it all??

I was in a very similar position a couple of years ago, I owned no saws and wanted one to do it all. We have a farm/ranch and family mountain acreage. Needless to say I ended up with the 361, and there will probably plenty of votes for it (deservedly so) before this thread is done. That saw will do most everything. It is without a doubt my favorite saw of the bunch, and by far the most fun to run after the muffler mod. With that being said I believe if I were in your position (not wanting to buy from stihl dealer) and wanted to do it all with one saw and possibly add another saw later I would buy the 372 first and then add a 260,346,5100 or equivalent saw later. If you are not planning on two saws (I was not) the 60cc ish saw in my opinion is still the way to go. Be forewarned, if you do not run from this site as fast as possible as soon as you purchase your first saw you will own more than one saw! Welcome, and good luck on your saw purchase.

I was in a very similar position a couple of years ago, I owned no saws and wanted one to do it all. We have a farm/ranch and family mountain acreage. Needless to say I ended up with the 361, and there will probably plenty of votes for it (deservedly so) before this thread is done. That saw will do most everything. It is without a doubt my favorite saw of the bunch, and by far the most fun to run after the muffler mod. With that being said I believe if I were in your position (not wanting to buy from stihl dealer) and wanted to do it all with one saw and possibly add another saw later I would buy the 372 first and then add a 260,346,5100 or equivalent saw later. If you are not planning on two saws (I was not) the 60cc ish saw in my opinion is still the way to go. Be forewarned, if you do not run from this site as fast as possible as soon as you purchase your first saw you will own more than one saw! Welcome, and good luck on your saw purchase.

Same thing here. Bought the 361 for my 'do it all' saw. 20 some days later, I bought a 260 for limbing and small bucking jobs. Just picked up a 660 for the big stuff. Like MuleyJ, hindsight would guide me to buy the 440/372/2171 instead of the 361. Not saying I'm not happy with the 361, just that the 70cc saw would fit better in my lineup. Its been said in another thread, the 361 is the jack of all trades, but is too close to 70cc performance and too far from 90cc to fit well in the middle of a lineup. With a muffler mod, its said to be quite a performer, I have yet to find out.

Conclusion; Grab a 70cc saw and dont look back.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I appreciate the advice. I know that Stihls are excellent saws, but after my phone conversation with the dealer, I just care to give him my money. I know that the Dolmar might be a bit small, but it really made a good impression on me. it was light and compact. I want to compare the 357xp with the 372xp. A dealer near where I work is going to be getting the 357xp in and I'm hoping the 372xp as well.(they were sold out.

It's funny how chainsaws can be the same or similar weight according to specs and yet one "feels" heavier than the other.

DJ

Look, if you want to do 24" wood and have one saw to do it "all", then get either the 372 or the Dolmar. I don't think the weight is a whole lot different between them. Depending on your dealer support, I'd do the 7900, then when you figure out that it isn't going to cut it for everything, get a 50cc class saw to get the little stuff. If you really work at it, you can limit yourself to two saws. It's just not as much fun that way.

Mark

They speak the truth !

I found myself just as you are a few months ago. My initial quote was "one saw that I won't wear out". I ultimately ended up with the 5100, which is probaly more than I will ever need ..... BUT ..... then why did I call and price a 7900 ????? It's true, you will NEVER be the same !

And by the way, I had the 5100 out for just the second time last Saturday. I still can't get rid of the smile :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: !

Thanks again AS members for all of your help ! ! ! !

Good luck !

Gotta put in my nickels worth.

If I were in your shoes with all of what you describe....... I would get a Husky 372. I know it's expensive and seems a tad heavier and all but experience just says you need a 372.

If you liked the 5100 your gonna really like the 357 as well, it's a nice 60cc saw and picks up right where the 5100 leaves off. Buuuuuuttt, like was said here the good 60cc saws are kinda like the jack of all trades, but be forewarned they are the master of none. They are not as light as the 50cc offerings but they have a little more giddy-up, they are not quite as powerful as the 70cc class but they are a little lighter, in reality there is not enough separation from either for the 60cc saw to really stand out anywhere..... but they do everything well enough, and that's why they are considered the "one" saw class.

If your needs are gonna put you into the 20 to 24 inch range on a regular basis I would opt up for the small 70cc class saw, and IMO the 372 is really the only good choice left out there (and I'm a Stihl man :dizzy:)

Anyway I say a 372 is what you want, good luck. :cheers:

Gotta put in my nickels worth.

If I were in your shoes with all of what you describe....... I would get a Husky 372. I know it's expensive and seems a tad heavier and all but experience just says you need a 372.

If you liked the 5100 your gonna really like the 357 as well, it's a nice 60cc saw and picks up right where the 5100 leaves off. Buuuuuuttt, like was said here the good 60cc saws are kinda like the jack of all trades, but be forewarned they are the master of none. They are not as light as the 50cc offerings but they have a little more giddy-up, they are not quite as powerful as the 70cc class but they are a little lighter, in reality there is not enough separation from either for the 60cc saw to really stand out anywhere..... but they do everything well enough, and that's why they are considered the "one" saw class.

If your needs are gonna put you into the 20 to 24 inch range on a regular basis I would opt up for the small 70cc class saw, and IMO the 372 is really the only good choice left out there (and I'm a Stihl man :dizzy:)

Anyway I say a 372 is what you want, good luck. :cheers:

I think that was my first symptoms... Had a 77 cc saw... where to go..where to go... might as well jump up into the 90's.... but what if I want to cut little stuff????? Oh the humanity!!!!

Well if you're thinking you want a 70cc saw, get the 7900. It's as heavy as the 372, but with a lot more power. I think the 7900 is the best saw in it's class hands down.

Better yet just buy two saws, as you're going to end up with more than one anyway. One for limb work (5100) and one for bucking (7900) .

Back