Chainsaw Selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like you want a lighter saw and the 357 fits your bill of more power and less weight.

i push you to get an 18" bar, if it runs anything like a 361 as they claim a 20" is a "touch too much" IMO.
I have no problems with a 20" bar on my Lakerized 026. 18" might have a touch better balance, but I have more reach with the 20. Don't be afraid of a long bar; if the wood is too big, just put on a skip or semi-skip chain.

The MS361 weights just about .6 pounds more than the 5100S in reality - get that one, or the Husky 372xp, if you don't mind about the extra bulk and weight of the Husky (I have both, and do - in the woods, that is).......:)

Thank you SawTroll...good point on the weight. I started up the at the Dolmar at the dealer...seemed to be rather hard starting...right now I'm leaning toward the 357xp. Since I'm not in the woods everyday :( I'm sure that the weight of the 372 or 7900 would get old after a while.

DJ

sounds like you want a lighter saw and the 357 fits your bill of more power and less weight.

i push you to get an 18" bar, if it runs anything like a 361 as they claim a 20" is a "touch too much" IMO.

set your RPM's at 13,800-14,000 and your GTG>

It sure seems to. There's a good Husky dealer that been pretty good to deal with. I think that an 18" bar would be the way to go.

DJ

Thank you SawTroll...good point on the weight. I started up the at the Dolmar at the dealer...seemed to be rather hard starting...right now I'm leaning toward the 357xp. Since I'm not in the woods everyday :( I'm sure that the weight of the 372 or 7900 would get old after a while.

DJ

+1 . The 357 won't make you disappointed and less weight is always a good thing.

+1 . The 357 won't make you disappointed and less weight is always a good thing.

The one shop that has a 5100 for sale also has a 7300 for 599. Good price, but one of my concerns is not just being comfortable with the extra weight but handling it safely. I want to decide by this weekend.

DJ

Personally, I have found the weight of the of the saw a non-issue, {no offense Saw Troll} let me explain. I can cut wood all day with any of my saws: homelite XL,Poulan 2300 cva, poulan 3300, 441. its the loading and unloading of the wood that takes time and energy. If you have power equipment that will do this chore for you then I think the discussion of weight of your machine has credence. In my experience the homelite cuts the smallest amount of wood in a given space of time, but its the oldest, smallest, and lightest saw. The 441 cuts the most wood it is the largest, heaviest [by a small margin] and newest saw. The 441 is what I head to the woods with. Most of my time however, is used loading and unloading the truck, 'cause I do it by hand, lacking power equipment to do it for me.

Having said this. I would get the largest saw that is appropriate for the majority of wood that I cut and wallet will allow. Dealer support and my lack of servicing experience also affect my decision. 7900 or 372 gets my vote.

Also, on my 5100 (before it was broke/run in) you wouldn't always hear the pop when choked. If pulled more than 3 times on choke and I didn't hear the pop, I flipped it right to run anyway......Anything more than 3 pulls on choke and you would flood it.

I don't notice this anymore.....It always seems to pop now.....and then screams :)

Also, on my 5100 (before it was broke/run in) you wouldn't always hear the pop when choked. If pulled more than 3 times on choke and I didn't hear the pop, I flipped it right to run anyway......Anything more than 3 pulls on choke and you would flood it.

I don't notice this anymore.....It always seems to pop now.....and then screams :)

The problem I had with my PS5100 is accidentally shutting it off by giving it full choke. That created somewhat of a flooded state for the next start.

The reason I gave if full choke is because I'm used to Stihl's control. Dolmar decided to orient it exactly the opposite of Stihl.

I guess you really can't teach old dogs new tricks.

Once you get beyond "operator error" the saw is easy to start. You just need to get familiar with it. Every saw has a slightly different personality when it comes to starting.

If you buy an Echo chainsaw, you'd BETTER have a dealer AND a repair shop nearby....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

and a bucket

(to help you get the rocks out of your head)

Yeah, because Stihls and Huskys never break down...right.

You are so full of crap and you know it....

I guess the swarms of busted 260's, 280's and 440's, Husky 350's, 455R's, 55's, 61's, etc..are just flukes...right?

Guess our commercial clients who are replacing their Husky's and Stihls with new Echo CS-440's, 520's and 670's....are just plain nuts right? They are sick of paying inflated prices, waiting forever on parts and dealing with under designed equipment.

Guess our commercial clients who are replacing their Husky's and Stihls with new Echo CS-440's, 520's and 670's....are just plain nuts right? They are sick of paying inflated prices, waiting forever on parts and dealing with under designed equipment.

Kioritz FTW!

I guess the swarms of busted 260's, 280's and 440's, Husky 350's, 455R's, 55's, 61's, etc..are just flukes...right?

I recommend you seek professional help...

No. Your clients are stupid for doing business with you in the first place. Second, they are stupid because they are cutting cost by short-term savings buying Echo-Kioritz junk that you proudly sell. They dont understand the long term effects. Enjoy them people Red, they wont be around long.

:notrolls2:

Back