Chainsaw Selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get the PS5100 unless the majority of your wood is 24". It does pretty good as a single saw and will tackle 24" OK. If your wood is primarily 24" then get the PS7900. It weighs almost the same as a 372XP but does everything better. It's always a trade off with one saw. Do you want to lug around excess weight or wait longer during the cut - pick your poison.

However I really think the two saw strategy would work best and you should reconsider it. I'd go 346/372 or 5100/7900 since Stihl is out of the question. (I agree you shoudn't do business with a bad dealer!!)

You will eventually sucomb to the two saw (or 2 saw+) strategy. Pay now or pay later. However don't waist too much time because the good saws will be gone by 2010 thanks to the EPA.

Last edited:
If I was regularly cutting 12"18" logs, I would not be using a 50cc saw. It would be a 60cc at a minimum. If I'm cutting 18" logs all day, I'm breaking out the 70cc saw, not that the 60cc can't handle it. The 70cc is just a lot torquier and makes the job more enjoyable. Get's it done faster too. I'd be frustrated for sure if I had to use a 50cc.

I agree as well. It would be 361 and or 044 time. I dont care how fast a 5100 is, (Im not bashing it), but no way in hell its gonna keep up with my 361, nor hold a candle to my 044. The 044 is just plain fun to run, and i can handle it all day.

Get the PS5100 unless the majority of your wood is 24". It does pretty good as a single saw and will tackle 24" OK. If your wood is primarily 24" then get the PS7900. It weighs almost the same as a 372XP but does everything better. It's always a trade off with one saw. Do you want to lug around excess weight or wait longer during the cut - pick your poison.

However I really think the two saw strategy would work best and you should reconsider it. I'd go 346/372 or 5100/7900 since Stihl is out of the question. (I agree you shoudn't do business with a bad dealer!!)

You will eventually sucomb to the two saw (or 2 saw+) strategy. Pay now or pay later. However don't waist too much time because the good saws will be gone by 2010 thanks to the EPA.

Thanks davefr,

I see cutting 24" or better occurring only occasionally. With the initial work I have in mind, a bit longer wait may be my poison of choice.

I've haven't ruled out the 2 saw strategy, but it's more like which one to go with first.

I have some good Stihl dealers where I live, however, where the saw is going to live is where the "questionable" dealer is and who would be servicing it. I'm sure he's not a "bad" dealer, however a couple things bothered me. He told me that the 260 was discontinued and that the 280 was taking it's place. Also, I didn't care for his attitude over the phone. I don't need to pay for attitude, that's what I have an ex-wife for!!!

Thak you for you input!

DJ

I agree as well. It would be 361 and or 044 time. I dont care how fast a 5100 is, (Im not bashing it), but no way in hell its gonna keep up with my 361.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the man......He said he ran the 361 and was not that impressed with it but was impressed with the 5100.....:jawdrop: :greenchainsaw:

Not my words but his......

The reason that I decided to get a 372xp (it's supposed to be here tomorrow) was because a month or so ago I had to let most of a big tree go. My 359 with me running it didn't want to tackle the 30" plus wood. That wood alone would be worth quite a bit when converted into fuel prices. I believe that I could've gotten the big wood without a lot of effort (or not nearly as much with the 359) with the 372xp.

I've never run a 372xp but I know I wouldn't want to do limbing with it. I think with a 372xp a smaller saw would be almost necessay for most people. I'm not a young guy so I need at least two saws. I've got a Makita/Dolmar DCS401 for limbing and my 359 will get bumped to a backup saw with some use now and then on medium size wood. If I had it to do all over again I would have went straight to the 372xp and added a small saw for limbing.

Danny

Last edited:
372 for a primary saw, and pick up a cheap used WildThing for smaller stuff, throw a good 16" b&c on it, and you're prepared for almost any cutting.

Glad to see you picked the 372. You were starting to scare me with all that 5100 talk. A strong 50cc saw (like the 5100) would complement that 372 very well. Make sure to take pics when you get er home.

EDIT: OOPS sorry, I got your names mixed up there. Congrats to danrclem for his 372. As for dennisj73, you should learn from danrclem :)

Last edited:
Well, after I left work today, I stopped at the Husqvarna dealer and checked out the 357xp & 372xp. I liked the feel of the 357 better.

I later stopped by a shop that sells Dolmars and checked out a 5100. I like the saw, but it still seems a bit small. I am probably leaning towards a 357xp or (if I can find another dealer) perhaps a 351.

I appreciate all of your collective input and advice.

DJ

I agree as well. It would be 361 and or 044 time. I dont care how fast a 5100 is, (Im not bashing it), but no way in hell its gonna keep up with my 361, nor hold a candle to my 044. The 044 is just plain fun to run, and i can handle it all day.

Yup!

Well, after I left work today, I stopped at the Husqvarna dealer and checked out the 357xp & 372xp. I liked the feel of the 357 better.

I later stopped by a shop that sells Dolmars and checked out a 5100. I like the saw, but it still seems a bit small. I am probably leaning towards a 357xp or (if I can find another dealer) perhaps a 351.

DJ

I meant 361...

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the advice. I know that Stihls are excellent saws, but after my phone conversation with the dealer, I just care to give him my money. I know that the Dolmar might be a bit small, but it really made a good impression on me. it was light and compact. I want to compare the 357xp with the 372xp. A dealer near where I work is going to be getting the 357xp in and I'm hoping the 372xp as well.(they were sold out.

It's funny how chainsaws can be the same or similar weight according to specs and yet one "feels" heavier than the other.

DJ

The MS361 weights just about .6 pounds more than the 5100S in reality - get that one, or the Husky 372xp, if you don't mind about the extra bulk and weight of the Husky (I have both, and do - in the woods, that is).......:)

Last edited:
sounds like you want a lighter saw and the 357 fits your bill of more power and less weight.

i push you to get an 18" bar, if it runs anything like a 361 as they claim a 20" is a "touch too much" IMO.

set your RPM's at 13,800-14,000 and your GTG>

If I was regularly cutting 12"18" logs, I would not be using a 50cc saw. It would be a 60cc at a minimum. If I'm cutting 18" logs all day, I'm breaking out the 70cc saw, not that the 60cc can't handle it. The 70cc is just a lot torquier and makes the job more enjoyable. Get's it done faster too. I'd be frustrated for sure if I had to use a 50cc.

Yes, for sure! :)

Did you hear that. He just wants one saw. :hmm3grin2orange: If you stick around here very long we'll change your way of thinking. :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: Chainsaws are like Lays Potato Chips. No one here can own just one.

Welcome to the site and you'll get plenty of recommendations.

Danny

I thought it was " Go ahead, eat all you want. We'll make more"
Same thing applies to CAD. :D

"Go ahead, buy all you want. We'll make more, and bigger."

udn-udn

DJ

There's a gently used 5100 in the trading post here...

Dennis,
What is u`r experience with chainsaws ? The Husky 372xp is a pro saw , a saw that is not for the meek and novice. With that being said my advise would be the saw that fits and runs through wood the best for you. Be safe and best of luck.

Back