Chainsaw Selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D73 says he likes the feel and balance of a 280 stihl, but thought maybe it's not sturdy enough for hard use. Doesn't matter because, first, your saw shouldn't be getting wrenched by the handles or knocked around when you're using it, second, even the non-pro stihls are tough enough to handle accidental knocks(which SHOULD be rare), if it's not howling full noise all day every day, it'll last plenty long enough, just a compromise between that good feel and balance at the expense of less outright power, as for echos, don't even go there, they're one big disappointment within 5 minutes of use, tacky and unpleasant to use at the best of times, you'd find better quality merchandise in a christmas cracker

D73 says he likes the feel and balance of a 280 stihl, but thought maybe it's not sturdy enough for hard use. Doesn't matter because, first, your saw shouldn't be getting wrenched by the handles or knocked around when you're using it, second, even the non-pro stihls are tough enough to handle accidental knocks(which SHOULD be rare), if it's not howling full noise all day every day, it'll last plenty long enough, just a compromise between that good feel and balance at the expense of less outright power, as for echos, don't even go there, they're one big disappointment within 5 minutes of use, tacky and unpleasant to use at the best of times, you'd find better quality merchandise in a christmas cracker

Good point and well taken. I stopped by a JD/Stihl dealer yesterday and "hefted" a few of the models (again). The 280 just felt lighter and more balanced, however I realize that the Dolmar 5100 or the Husqvarna 346xp are lighter and have as are as or a bit more power than the 280.

Right now I could pick up a new 5100 for $379.00, but I am willing to go up to a 357 or a 361 (I'll take it to a different dealer). Just a matter of deciding.

I haven't had any experience with Echo that I can think of right now and to be honest, while they may be a good product, I've pretty well decided which brands that I'm going to look at(which does not include Echo).

DJ

Right now I could pick up a new 5100 for $379.00, but I am willing to go up to a 357 or a 361 (I'll take it to a different dealer). Just a matter of deciding.DJ

All of those are excellent choices but I have to say.....that is a sweet deal on the 5100.....I paid $400 for my 5100, 2 years ago but it did come with two extra chains and a 6 pack of oil......:cheers:

Good point and well taken. I stopped by a JD/Stihl dealer yesterday and "hefted" a few of the models (again). The 280 just felt lighter and more balanced, however I realize that the Dolmar 5100 or the Husqvarna 346xp are lighter and have as are as or a bit more power than the 280.

Right now I could pick up a new 5100 for $379.00, but I am willing to go up to a 357 or a 361 (I'll take it to a different dealer). Just a matter of deciding.

I haven't had any experience with Echo that I can think of right now and to be honest, while they may be a good product, I've pretty well decided which brands that I'm going to look at(which does not include Echo).

DJ

If you can get around the whole dealer thing I think the 361 is exactly the saw you are looking for, if not then I think the Husky 357 will serve you well. I don't think you would notice a difference in performance between the two unless you had them side by side in a log (and it would probably depend on the operator as to which one would come out on top). There are some differences in design and construction but it sounds like you haven't used a saw enough yet to really have an opinion as to what you like best, so any saw you get is probably gonna set the tone for what you will like in the future. Nothing bad meant by that just the way I read it, everybody starts somewhere, mine was with a Stihl and it set the tone for what I like in a saw. Some don't like the Stihl "do-all" switch, I love it, it's what I've always had and I can't understand how anybody could not like it. The guys who grew up Husky can't stand the thing, and like the separate controls for everything.

My point is both are great saws and either will get the job done just the same, figure out what you're gonna like ergonomics wise and go with it.

The Husky has a slight angle to the front handle bar while the Stihl is straight. The Stihl has an inboard clutch, the Husky is an outboard clutch design......... etc. For me the outboard clutch would rule the husky out straight away, but a lot of guys don't mind it and it works just the same. Just look them over and handle them, see how they feel, the position of the switches, think about your hand position and how you will use the saw, just in general get a feel for what you think you will like.

It sounds like your on the right path to get what you need, good luck......... and buy the Stihl. :D

Oh and I still say you want a 372, you just don't know it yet. :laugh: (a Jred 2171 really for the straight handle)

You are going to have at least 2 saws to do everything IMHO! A 50 and a 70cc or bigger.

I used my 372 long enough as my one saw and it did everything like you say you want but you will really appreciate the light weight of a 50cc saw for limbing and small wood.
Anyway whats the fun in only having one saw hehehe! jmo hth

Kansas

If you can get around the whole dealer thing I think the 361 is exactly the saw you are looking for, if not then I think the Husky 357 will serve you well. I don't think you would notice a difference in performance between the two unless you had them side by side in a log (and it would probably depend on the operator as to which one would come out on top). There are some differences in design and construction but it sounds like you haven't used a saw enough yet to really have an opinion as to what you like best, so any saw you get is probably gonna set the tone for what you will like in the future. Nothing bad meant by that just the way I read it, everybody starts somewhere, mine was with a Stihl and it set the tone for what I like in a saw. Some don't like the Stihl "do-all" switch, I love it, it's what I've always had and I can't understand how anybody could not like it. The guys who grew up Husky can't stand the thing, and like the separate controls for everything.

My point is both are great saws and either will get the job done just the same, figure out what you're gonna like ergonomics wise and go with it.

The Husky has a slight angle to the front handle bar while the Stihl is straight. The Stihl has an inboard clutch, the Husky is an outboard clutch design......... etc. For me the outboard clutch would rule the husky out straight away, but a lot of guys don't mind it and it works just the same. Just look them over and handle them, see how they feel, the position of the switches, think about your hand position and how you will use the saw, just in general get a feel for what you think you will like.

It sounds like your on the right path to get what you need, good luck......... and buy the Stihl. :D

Oh and I still say you want a 372, you just don't know it yet. :laugh: (a Jred 2171 really for the straight handle)

Your point is very well taken...Please don't get me wrong...in my chainsaw shopping I've met some very good dealers (Stihl) who took the time to talk with me and one even let me run both a 361 and 260. I just don't wish to reward a questionable local dealer out of necessity (servicing). I really like the Dolmar 5100 and if I can get past the smallness of it, I think it will serve my needed initially. I just look at a 361 as well today. I'm probably going to look at a 357 again this evening. In any case I think that I will want them equipped with 18" chains.

DJ

You are going to have at least 2 saws to do everything IMHO! A 50 and a 70cc or bigger.

I used my 372 long enough as my one saw and it did everything like you say you want but you will really appreciate the light weight of a 50cc saw for limbing and small wood.
Anyway whats the fun in only having one saw hehehe! jmo hth

Kansas

You're right! The one place where I was looking at a Dolmar 5100 also had a dolmar 7300 for 599. I was half tempted to make him an offer for both!

DJ

You're right! The one place where I was looking at a Dolmar 5100 also had a dolmar 7300 for 599. I was half tempted to make him an offer for both!

DJ

DO IT!!! We dare ya! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Back