Chainsaw usage in Rock & Roll music

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XPLRN

Dad ^^^^ wouldn't understand the CAD!!! :-)
Reaction score
A friend posted up a Youtube video link on Facebook and it got me to reading this from Wikki-pedia regarding the R&R band, Jackyl;

The band is probably best-known for its song The Lumberjack, which features a chainsaw solo by lead singer Jesse James Dupree. For the recording, Dupree would rev the chainsaw's engine or use the chain brake to slow the engine down to keep the beat. He also performs this stunt live and the number typically climaxes with Dupree slicing up a wooden stool onstage, smashing it, and throwing the sliced pieces out to the crowd. He once had been asked, "How the hell can you play a chainsaw?", to which he responded, "How the hell can you not play a chainsaw?"

Seems that he used various saws in different performances. Any chance more knowledgeable saw identifiers can come up with the models?? I see what appears to be a Jonersed saw in the first video but have no clue who the manufacturer of the chromed out saw is!!?? The 2nd video, same song, has him using a Stihl, any idea as to what model it is!?? The saw usage on the ceiling at the end of the video was creative!! It might not be the best display of PPE usage or saw utilization.......however I enjoyed seeing a tool we all enjoy working with, being creatively used as a artistic prop in these music videos.........YMMV!! :rock::bowdown::rock:......:D

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A52p9jc-gOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gz-Hxh5jhX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PS..........the 'search' function doesn't seem to work for me so sorry if this Jackyl music video thread is a re-post of a previously posted thread subject.

Last edited:
Jackyl chainsaw music!!

That is one of my favorite songs, i can listen to it all day. To bad he didnt do it with a McCulloch :msp_biggrin:

I'm glad that you enjoyed the thread enough to post up!! Yep, I'd heard the song years ago but wasn't into the chainsaw world like I am now.

The chrome saw in the first video intrigues me and I'd like to know what manufacturer/model it is. The Stihl used in the 2nd video is the other one I'd like to know what model he chose to use!!

I noted in your saw list that you have a Husky 350......how do you like it?? Do you have much run time on it and has the muffler ever loosened up on you??

The Stihl in the second video appears to be an 026
I'm going by air filter cover look
:cheers:
J2F

Cool.....since you own one I'm betting you have a pretty good eye for the subtle details.Thanks for offering up your take on it!! :rock:

Cool.....since you own one I'm betting you have a pretty good eye for the subtle details.Thanks for offering up your take on it!! :rock:
The "give-away" is the space between the air filter cover...
and the cylinder cover...unique to that model...
Also dude is waving it around with one hand...
026 is a very light Pro saw and only weighs 10.5 lb.
One of the best saws that Stihl ever made!!
J2F

Opps!!...it ain't a 026 after all...:shame:
After looking again...the saw has "flippy-caps"...
So now I think it's a 260!! (next generation 026)
J2F

Opps!!...it ain't a 026 after all...:shame:
After looking again...the saw has "flippy-caps"...
So now I think it's a 260!! (next generation 026)
J2F

Thanks for the further I.D. intel........I'll call it a 260 until I hear otherwise from you!! :msp_thumbsup:

The beginning of that song is the text message tone on my cell phone.:rock: Everyone looks when it goes off!!
That's very cool..........where did you get that ring tone from as I might have to acquire it also!! :msp_thumbup::rock::msp_thumbup:

Looks like I saw a Johnny Red for a second in the first video

I do believe the "chromed out" saw is also a Jonsered, stop the first video at 2:41 and look at the rear handle. I will venture to say a 490/590? I believe the Partner 5000 family also had a rear handle like this, but I would still vote Jonsered since the first saw is one.

I've seen these guys live 5 times back in the day (mid to late 90's). Jesse James Dupree always played a Jonsered when I saw them. At the end on the song, he would cut up the wooden stool and carve the Jackyl emblem and toss it out to the crowd. When the song first started he would say something like, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I give to you the (whatever model the saw as) Jonsered chainsaw." At the time, I only merely liked chainsaws so I didn't take that much notice to what model he said it was.

For awhile, his mic stand was a single shot bolt-style 12 guage. He would stick a blank in and fire over the crowd and toss the hull into the crowd.

They were a great band from Ackworth, Georgia and as loud as my C-51. :rock:

I've seen these guys live 5 times back in the day (mid to late 90's). Jesse James Dupree always played a Jonsered when I saw them. At the end on the song, he would cut up the wooden stool and carve the Jackyl emblem and toss it out to the crowd. When the song first started he would say something like, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I give to you the (whatever model the saw as) Jonsered chainsaw." At the time, I only merely liked chainsaws so I didn't take that much notice to what model he said it was.

For awhile, his mic stand was a single shot bolt-style 12 guage. He would stick a blank in and fire over the crowd and toss the hull into the crowd.

They were a great band from Ackworth, Georgia and as loud as my C-51. :rock:

I'd have loved to see them perform back in the mid-late 90's era......thanks for sharing your "been there, experienced that" perspective!! I remembered the "Lumberjack" song from back then, however like you, I wasn't as infatuated with the chainsaw world as I am now!!

My dad was one hell of a hardworkin'/ chainsawin' guy and now that he's gone I'm kinda wanting to collect the various saw models I know of that he owned over the years. I recently got his very last saw up and going and really enjoyed using it on a good sized pruning job the other week. It was sorta like bonding back with my dad as he sure enjoyed working with that little saw(Stihl 011AVT) in his older years before moving into town at age 80. He had been using it to prune up the tree crop we'd planted 25+ years earlier.

Looks like I saw a Johnny Red for a second in the first video
Yep..........I think your right! :rock:

@ Roanoker494 ; Good intel.........thanks for checking it out and providing your perspective!! I will go check out the 2:41 spot and see what you saw there! :rock:

BTW.....bless you for saving all the vintage mag......it's great knowing that there are folks like you that are saving the great saws from the past!! You might have seen my earlier post of my father's vintage saw...........some day I hope to have one like that in running shape!!

Last edited:
they were my little girls first concert when they were 5 and 6. they loved the chain saw! the youngest is now 10 and still loves their music and listin to dad run the saws!

Chrome chainsaw I.D. pictures

I do believe the "chromed out" saw is also a Jonsered, stop the first video at 2:41 and look at the rear handle. I will venture to say a 490/590? I believe the Partner 5000 family also had a rear handle like this, but I would still vote Jonsered since the first saw is one.

Love the 'print screen' feature............here are a few more reference pictures for you to check out for model I.D. purposes. Starting with the saw @ the 2:41 point in the first video;

ChromedChainsawat241.jpg

ChromeChainsawinaction4.jpg

ChromeChainsawinaction2.jpg

ChromedChainsawinaction5.jpg

they were my little girls first concert when they were 5 and 6. they loved the chain saw! the youngest is now 10 and still loves their music and listin to dad run the saws!

It's just great hearing stories like this where a positive influence is made........that's great your kids love listening to you run the saws!!! Thanks for sharing what had to be a great experience.......were you into chainsaws back then as much as now!??

Last edited:
Love the 'print screen' feature............here are a few more reference pictures for you to check out for model I.D. purposes. Starting with the saw @ the 2:41 point in the first video;

ChromedChainsawat241.jpg

ChromeChainsawinaction4.jpg

ChromeChainsawinaction2.jpg

ChromedChainsawinaction5.jpg

Any one able to I.D. the chrome saw used by the Jackyl lead singer in the pictures above???

I could "Play" that tune with a PM650 back in the day. A local band around here in the late 80's, early 90's called "Slave Raider" had a chainsaw on stage quite often, the lead singer, Chainsaw Cain, would fire up a saw and cut something up after sparring with the guitar players with it. Not into saws then, just a tool to cut firewood.

A friend posted up a Youtube video link on Facebook and it got me to reading this from Wikki-pedia regarding the R&R band, Jackyl;

I see what appears to be a Jonersed saw in the first video but have no clue who the manufacturer of the chromed out saw is!!?? The 2nd video, same song, has him using a Stihl, any idea as to what model it is!?? The saw usage on the ceiling at the end of the video was creative!! It might not be the best display of PPE usage or saw utilization.......however I enjoyed seeing a tool we all enjoy working with, being creatively used as a artistic prop in these music videos.........YMMV!! :rock::bowdown::rock:......:D

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A52p9jc-gOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gz-Hxh5jhX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The video links seem to no longer click-able in the OP..........sooo I'm trying to update with these
"new" links;
1st video;
https://www.youtube.com/embed/A52p9jc-gOo

I got a kick out of the end of the 2nd video where he cut the band name into the ceiling of the stage!!
https://www.youtube.com/embed/gz-Hxh5jhX4

I grew up down the street from Jesse so I will see if I can track him down and ask him. lol. It is sad that this is the closet thing I have to a claim to fame.

I grew up down the street from Jesse so I will see if I can track him down and ask him. lol. It is sad that this is the closet(maybe 'closest'??) thing I have to a claim to fame.

That would be cool........are you close in age?? How many of his concerts have you been to?? I guess his boy is following in his musician footsteps!!??

Latest posts

Back