Chinese husky big bore ported

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I can't blame him! I love it too!

About the gun, yes that can be, but apparently they need a lube and tune up right out of the box to fire well, as well they take some time to settle in, get yourself a few targets and just send a pile of rounds through it. Mine's only rated up to 500fps, but that's easily changed, I need a license to buy anything over that, which I don't have.

Have your shot many spring air rifle's before? I know they are a little different to shoot then a regular gun do the way they recoil.

Yeah everything that should have been done to this rifle Will has been and when I was younger I used to regularly buy the English air rifle magazines which were hideously expensive in Australia. I ran two different good quality air rifle scopes on it with Sportsmatch air rifle mounts including the recoil pin that fits into a hole on the dovetail to stop the mounts and scope moving under recoil (as you know spring air rifles have a two stage recoil that is hard on scopes). I would have shot 1000's of rabbits in my life with .177" air rifles and nearly all of them with a Spanish made Norica Model 80 and an old 1960's BSA Meteor that my dad still owns.
I've shot spring air rifles for over 30 years - I got my first one for my 5th birthday :)
On school holidays my dad used to kick my arse as I was going through 500+ slugs a day and they had these cheap "Wasp" pellets for about 80 cents a box (500) at the local store down the road - no pest birds, rabbits, rocks, or anything else for that matter including mum's pegs on the clothesline were safe within about 40 yards.
I've also considered the fact that .177" pellets aren't able to handle the speeds that the Diana 350 can develop - next air rifle I get will be in .22 :) The velocities out of this Diana are extremely consistent with the same pellets (+/- 30fps) so the spring etc have been run in well.

The only Diana Model 350's that I've heard good reports about accuracy wise have been in .22 calibre.

Sounds like I as telling you how to suck eggs when discussing air rifles. With that much experience, I wonder if you can answer some of my air rifle questions. The accuracy issue, it seems that a .22 would have more mass further from the centre of the pellet (think of a space station rotating). The old .577 Snyder rounds with hollow point and conical base would stabilise even though they were clearly out of Greenwood's rule of thumb of stability. So, I'm wondering if the .22 air rifle pellet would be inherently more accurate for hunting than a .177.

Regarding the velocity issue, I figured it was the sonic barrier that was the destabilising issue. A heavy .177 pellet would clearly be under the sonic barrier.

Ya got any ideas (links) on better accuracy? I'm not happy with the accuracy of my rifle - some people like pretty rifles, others like powerful rifles, the only rifle I'm interested in is an accurate rifle.

Sounds like I as telling you how to suck eggs when discussing air rifles. With that much experience, I wonder if you can answer some of my air rifle questions. The accuracy issue, it seems that a .22 would have more mass further from the centre of the pellet (think of a space station rotating). The old .577 Snyder rounds with hollow point and conical base would stabilise even though they were clearly out of Greenwood's rule of thumb of stability. So, I'm wondering if the .22 air rifle pellet would be inherently more accurate for hunting than a .177.

Regarding the velocity issue, I figured it was the sonic barrier that was the destabilising issue. A heavy .177 pellet would clearly be under the sonic barrier.

Ya got any ideas (links) on better accuracy? I'm not happy with the accuracy of my rifle - some people like pretty rifles, others like powerful rifles, the only rifle I'm interested in is an accurate rifle.

Sorry about the hijack Al ;)

Hey no dramas Terry. Air rifles are completely different animals when it comes to accuracy. You can't just free float and bed air rifles like mine unlike a bolt action centrefire etc. Every centrefire I own apart from my Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint in .25/06 has been bedded and floated (the Tikka is spot on out the box).
My biggest whinge about the Diana apart from it's apparent variations in zero is that the open sights are probably the crappiest sights I've ever seen on any firearm of any price. This thing was AUD$770 (about 10 years ago just after they were released) so certainly not cheap. The trigger is garbage no matter how you adjust it but overall build quality is typical beautiful German. I did find that the lighter pellets that were cracking the sound barrier tended to be the most unaccurate so have stuck for now with the RWS Superpoints, Superdomes, and I think they're called Supermagnums that are really heavy. I weighed them all and can't remember exactly how many grains they were but the Supermagnums were substantially heavier than the others. I agree on the accurate rifle theory - plenty of expensive, powerful, and pretty rifles can't shoot for sh*t :)

It's big for an air rifle and a kid would have trouble cocking it thats for sure. Picture of it next to my Tikka T3...

290620111342.jpg

Yeah everything that should have been done to this rifle Will has been and when I was younger I used to regularly buy the English air rifle magazines which were hideously expensive in Australia. I ran two different good quality air rifle scopes on it with Sportsmatch air rifle mounts including the recoil pin that fits into a hole on the dovetail to stop the mounts and scope moving under recoil (as you know spring air rifles have a two stage recoil that is hard on scopes). I would have shot 1000's of rabbits in my life with .177" air rifles and nearly all of them with a Spanish made Norica Model 80 and an old 1960's BSA Meteor that my dad still owns.
I've shot spring air rifles for over 30 years - I got my first one for my 5th birthday :)
On school holidays my dad used to kick my arse as I was going through 500+ slugs a day and they had these cheap "Wasp" pellets for about 80 cents a box (500) at the local store down the road - no pest birds, rabbits, rocks, or anything else for that matter including mum's pegs on the clothesline were safe within about 40 yards.
I've also considered the fact that .177" pellets aren't able to handle the speeds that the Diana 350 can develop - next air rifle I get will be in .22 :) The velocities out of this Diana are extremely consistent with the same pellets (+/- 30fps) so the spring etc have been run in well.

The only Diana Model 350's that I've heard good reports about accuracy wise have been in .22 calibre.

LOL, nothing is safe!

I've just got into this, so I don't know allot. I've heard .177 are more accurate, because they are lighter and thus have less arc in the shot. There is allot of good info out there, I just joined a Canadian air gun forum, lots of neat stuff. Yes spring air rifle's are different, and you do need a scope that is rated for them, they support the cross-hair's differently I think, not really sure what they do, but if you put a regular scope on a springer it'll tear it apart.

PM me if ya want to talk more, shouldn't be going on an on in this thread about it.

Will

Talk about "pfft pfft" guns all you like fella's, doesn't bother me.

I cut a little firewood last night with the saw after some adjustment to the upper transfers. I'll get some footage when I get a chance.

Duane I'll keep you informed once I'm happy with this one.

This thing runs no different to a Husky, just gotta keep running!
:msp_thumbup:

LOL, nothing is safe!

I've just got into this, so I don't know allot. I've heard .177 are more accurate, because they are lighter and thus have less arc in the shot. There is allot of good info out there, I just joined a Canadian air gun forum, lots of neat stuff. Yes spring air rifle's are different, and you do need a scope that is rated for them, they support the cross-hair's differently I think, not really sure what they do, but if you put a regular scope on a springer it'll tear it apart.

PM me if ya want to talk more, shouldn't be going on an on in this thread about it.

Will

Yeah the air rifle scopes tend to have better bracing but also have more parallax adjustment to suit the shorter ranges generally encountered. A good quality scope like a Zeiss, Leupold, Bausch & Lomb etc is more than up to the task of an air rifle's recoil but they generally don't have the adjustment for shorter ranges unless you have an adjustable objective.
I'm more than happy to talk via email mate but I'm sure Al is enjoying the air rifle discussion as well ;)

I cut a little firewood last night with the saw after some adjustment to the upper transfers. I'll get some footage when I get a chance.

This thing runs no different to a Husky, just gotta keep running!
:msp_thumbup:

Excellento old son :cheers:

Oh bugger it, I was keeping out as I always go OT on Al's threads but seeing as we have the all clear from the man....

I had a .22 Diana years ago and in the finish sold it.
Almost as loud as a .22 rimfire, bloody heavy and only good for 40m.....

Much prefer a little Slazenger (Lithgow) 1a if I'm restricted to single shot :D

Yeah the air rifle scopes tend to have better bracing but also have more parallax adjustment to suit the shorter ranges generally encountered. A good quality scope like a Zeiss, Leupold, Bausch & Lomb etc is more than up to the task of an air rifle's recoil but they generally don't have the adjustment for shorter ranges unless you have an adjustable objective.
I'm more than happy to talk via email mate but I'm sure Al is enjoying the air rifle discussion as well ;)

Cool, I wasn't sure if AL minded or not. Carry on!

That is impressive, even more so for a Chinese 'POS'.

I gotta talk to the wife about how I need a bigger saw for those bigger logs.

Pine????? Pffft! Candlebark/Brittlegum.

Not running to badly at all. Would be nice to be able to get the no's under 160° but nevertheless still pulling pretty good.

Under 160° means more torque Al?

Cheap for a porting play saw! :msp_rolleyes:

:) Indeed it is.

Under 160° means more torque Al?

Yeah it does mate. I've been wanting for a while to try a bb with under 160° for real pulling power but haven't been able to get there with the way the exhaust ports are.
I've raised the trans as the saw was revy but lacked reasonable torque in larger wood. If you look at the first vid the saw was alot more peaky than in this vid. When you venture away from stock durations, you need to be prepared to do some reasonable upper trans work. (If the saw doesn't require more blowdown than stock etc)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back