Chinese husky big bore ported

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this saw come with the husky large bar studs ? Just wondering because mine came with the small studs - not a real special i guess...

Yeah mate full 9mm stud set up.

Yeah fair enough, but I haven't seen anything this pretty come out of China or Taiwan.

Sorry mate I wasn't having a dig. There actually "is" a small chance that they are Italian made. As you mentioned they are right up there with Mahle P&C's.

medium.jpg

I basically have enlarged the 'gullet', fluted the back of the cutter a tad, cleared it out a bit under and inside the cutter, and thinned the top and back of the raker slightly and put an angle on the cutter that you can easily maintain in the field. This is about an hour of work on a 32-36" chain. The photo doesn't do it justice, the inside of the cutter and the tip of the raker have more work done than you can see here due to the angle and the flash. I am still messing around with grinding, so they may look different in the future. I have decided to leave the straps alone as much as possible, but I may grind off and angle the back of the cutter just a tad to see if there's a difference.

Compare that to a full race chain:

BikeSawChainfailurepoints.jpg

Yeah mate full 9mm stud set up.

Sorry mate I wasn't having a dig. There actually "is" a small chance that they are Italian made. As you mentioned they are right up there with Mahle P&C's.

Noooo...dig away mate! :laugh:

My thinking was the same as yours, but I couldn't see the Chinese making a barrel this nice just so they could put "Italy" on it! Argh, who knows?

medium.jpg

I basically have enlarged the 'gullet', fluted the back of the cutter a tad, cleared it out a bit under and inside the cutter, and thinned the top and back of the raker slightly and put an angle on the cutter that you can easily maintain in the field. This is about an hour of work on a 32-36" chain. The photo doesn't do it justice, the inside of the cutter and the tip of the raker have more work done than you can see here due to the angle and the flash. I am still messing around with grinding, so they may look different in the future. I have decided to leave the straps alone as much as possible, but I may grind off and angle the back of the cutter just a tad to see if there's a difference.

Compare that to a full race chain:

BikeSawChainfailurepoints.jpg

Thanks Wes. I've cut a few square chains and as well as they cut, I couldn't justify the extra time it took to sharpen over round/chisel. I like to use a chain that others have easy access to as a fair comparison.

I'd certainly like to make a "nice" chain for play though!

Last edited:
I have a372xpBB but the P&C did not look as good of quality that is why I asked the previous question.

There are a few companies making the BB kits for the 365/371/372XP etc. I have had a few issues with the early kits I was supplied but have some more coming from a new manufacturer. Slightly more expensive but all other kits from this same manufacturer that I've received are top notch.

Thanks Wes. I've cut a few square chains and as well as they cut, I couldn't justify the extra time it took to sharpen over round/chisel. I like to use a chain that others have easy access to as a fair comparison.

I'd certainly like to make a "nice" chain for play though!

It's very easy to do if you're used to grinding. When I get my next loop of chisel for my 20" bar for the echo I am gonna do something similar. I dunno if you can tell by the image, but that woods grind is sporting a .035+ lowered raker. It's a tad grabby in hardwoods unless you have the torque to pull it, but this thing is gonna sit on a 32" bar on my ported 385 - so no worries. I'll see if I can get a video of it soon enough. I still have to go over them and make sure they are all even. Another trick on smaller saws running 325 chain is to use a 7/32 file instead of the 5/32 to sharpen the cutters and open the gullets and maybe add a flute. You have to be careful to keep the tip right, but it opens up the cutter a decent amount. That with some gullet opening and raker play makes them cut stunningly better in soft woods. And all that for a chain that will last and only takes an hour or so of your time.

We're in Australia Wes :) What's softwood look like?

It looks like this:

go to 5:30 ish ;)

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wwJ2-qUZ5YY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Although that looks like a real pine. Fir is quite a bit harder and much more fibrous. I would say Birch cuts easier than Fir in my experience. And if you don't go crazy on the rakers, it'll do fine in hardwoods. But you should see the chips coming out of Fir on a properly set up woods square grind. Having said that, I wouldn't call my hack jobs proper woods grinds, but they do seem to work well enough so far, and none have grenaded on me.

Sorry to walk all over yer thread, Aussie, but I wanted to add this:

This is what a stock 372xp with a muff mod can do in Maple with something similar to the chain I showed you:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/njuHgek8R6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ah yeah, look at dos muddafuggin chips. You can also see it get a bit grabby at :42

There are a few companies making the BB kits for the 365/371/372XP etc. I have had a few issues with the early kits I was supplied but have some more coming from a new manufacturer. Slightly more expensive but all other kits from this same manufacturer that I've received are top notch.

What issues did you in counter?? I have a BB kit from china on my 362xp and the plating above the exhaust chipped off a little, pissed me off. She still runs and has 145psi so I figure Im gonna run it untill it losses to much compression to run. Ive been waiting a couple months for this thread, glad to see you guys got the chinavarnas running nicely.

What issues did you in counter?? I have a BB kit from china on my 362xp and the plating above the exhaust chipped off a little, pissed me off. She still runs and has 145psi so I figure Im gonna run it untill it losses to much compression to run. Ive been waiting a couple months for this thread, glad to see you guys got the chinavarnas running nicely.

Did that happen while porting? If so, yes it does happen, even to good kits, you just have to be careful and go slow around the plating.

No It didn't happen while porting, but I have thought about putting the dremmel to the cylinder now that its chipped. It happen on the first tank of gas, Ive ran dozens since then with no more chipping. I hogged the daylights out of my little huskys cylinder with out chippings its plating, I just wonder why this cylinder chipped.

No It didn't happen while porting, but I have thought about putting the dremmel to the cylinder now that its chipped. It happen on the first tank of gas, Ive ran dozens since then with no more chipping. I hogged the daylights out of my little huskys cylinder with out chippings its plating, I just wonder why this cylinder chipped.

Sometimes with the cheaper stuff they get poor adhesion of the plating.

Latest posts

Back