chainsaw vs. bowsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agree or disagree ?

I'm here with the sole purpose of enjoyment. If one of you think I was too "reactionary" that is tough. I don't see Bob the bowsaw on here crying like a baby. He started this thread to get the type of reaction that he wanted. No one on this earth can say a bowsaw will cut faster than a hotsaw. If I can't vent on the internet in a purely joking fashion, I guess I'll have to buy a dog so I can kick it on a daily basis instead.

Hey- it is the holiday season of giving, I think I'll send everyone a swift kick in the sack. Bill Jr

Well, I'll say this. A bow saw does have its place. I worked at a Christmas tree farm one year and the bow saw worked great. Now mind you, these trees were Monterey pines with up to 8 inch butts. Heck the bow saw worked about as well as the POS Echo saws we were given to use. THe bow saw cut fast and the extra work helps one get into the spirit of the season. Anyway the bow saw worked well there and only there. There is no other time I would want to use any type of hand saw especially for high volume. By posting a reply, I think I will have given this fellow what he wants. oops.:rolleyes: John

These guys knew how to do it.
Bob

attachment.php

Just to add some fuel to the fire:
From http://www.starinfo.com/ljguide/index1024.html

LUMBERJACK BOW SAWING --- WORLD RECORDS

SIZE CONTESTANT'S NAME TIME CUTS YEAR
WHITE PINE
8" rd. Gilles Levesque 02.40 1 1980
8X8 sq. Jason Helsel 02.66 1 2000
8X8 sq. Donald Lambert 07.33 2 2002
10X10 sq. Donald Lambert 04.82 1 1996
10" rd. Jean-Pierre Mercier 03.75 1 1998
12" rd. Donald Lambert 04.735 1 2001

Some of you guys better sharpen up your climbing saws real well to beat those numbers... :D

Seriously, we know that bow saws aren't a viable replacement for chainsaws in most situations. But if you have a bit of time, want to listen to the birds, and need a workout, you can cut some wood with one.

Ian

Doesn't one of the recent Bailey's catalogs have a picture of some corn-fed guy who is a bow saw champ? His shoulders were huge and he had forearms that would make Popeye jealous.

not really

Lucky may be right some of the time be he doesn't agree with you completely on this hand saw crusade. Seriously, I think all of us would reach for the biggest saw we have to take care of that big a$$ redwood you posted. Maybe we can agree in the future.

Hehehe:p Y'all complain so bitterly about cr@p like this, yet it is now onto it's fourth page, where a legitimate question about chainsaw repair might have died after a reply or two.
Ah, well, 'tis the season to be bored, buzzed and easily amused.

woodbeard

Hehehe Y'all complain so bitterly about cr@p like this, yet it is now onto it's fourth page, where a legitimate question about chainsaw repair might have died after a reply or two.
Ah, well, 'tis the season to be bored, buzzed and easily amused.

Yea, kinda like my "." thread in climbing!!

Carl

Originally posted by IndyIan
[ LUMBERJACK BOW SAWING --- WORLD RECORDS

SIZE CONTESTANT'S NAME TIME CUTS YEAR
WHITE PINE
8" rd. Gilles Levesque 02.40 1 1980
8X8 sq. Jason Helsel 02.66 1 2000
8X8 sq. Donald Lambert 07.33 2 2002
10X10 sq. Donald Lambert 04.82 1 1996
10" rd. Jean-Pierre Mercier 03.75 1 1998
12" rd. Donald Lambert 04.735 1 2001

Those are pretty decent times: it would take a 70 cc saw with factory chain a busy time indeed to keep up on the first cut but the bow saw boy would be prettywiped after one or two cuts.

The bow saw is pith poor on upcuts and not even as good as Tony's cane knife at a massacre!

Frank

Yea, kinda like my "." thread in climbing!!
Wow, that is beautiful. Many threads over at ForestryForum degrade into food discourse , but never so abruptly.
I believe a bowsaw could be used to butcher a deer much more neatly than a chainsaw could, but would it be as much fun?
I do not hunt, nor do I know anything about the field dressing of wild game, so maybe someone more experienced could expound upon this.

Back