Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WTH...is an Efco??? I thought it was an Echo misprint!:yoyo:

I'm sure you'll like the 270....not a pro saw, but not everyone needs one! I tried one,it cut well. Then I found this site and ended up with an 026/260. Now I'm working on step two (361) of the three saw plan.....don't ask :censored:

I've got an MS310 and love it. A lot of people will tell you that it's too heavy. They're stuck on the whole power to weight ratio thing. Power to money on the other hand, it might be pretty hard to beat.

When I bought it, there was no doubt in my mind that was the perfect saw for me. It probably still is. Then I found this place. I'm now convinced that I need $7,000 worth of chainsaws. Beacause hey, you need a saw to cover every possible situation. Thanks guys for the new hobby/addiction.....:cheers:

Too much beer + 4 am = time for bed

You might think I deserve that. After over 30 years working the maintenance trades in heavy industry my remarks about PPE come naturally to me. Sometimes only a fellow worker is around to make the suggestion and often a fellow worker is the only one that will be listened to.

By its nature, using a chainsaw is a solitary act and a person injured alone runs the risk of dying alone.
Could you drive from the country to a hospital in town with something in your eye? Highly unlikely since using your good eye causes your inured eye to hurt (don't ask me how I know)

I drew attention to the lack of PPE because I care. Why did you react the way you did?

Gee, that must have came out wrong. I really meant that as support, not criticism. Just poorly stated, I guess. I'm a glasses/hearing protection/chaps/sometimes helmet guy myself - and fellow member of the PPE Police force. I sell my friends on this as well. Incidentally, I also work in industrial maintenance and am responsible for safety in 3 manufacturing facilites and I agree whole heartedly on the safety issue.

I was just taking note of the fact that it took so long for one of us to chime in. Usually these guys are all over stuff like that - fast. I was actually getting ready to post about the PPE when i saw your post. My apologies, friend.....Didn't mean to ruffle ya. :cheers:

pro is designed to give more comfort last longer be lighter and perform better.
saws will have features such as decompression valve for easier starting, more replaceable parts, ie handles less plastic and hold more value should you want or need to sell them. my 038 has to be at least 20 years old, i have had for 5-6 years, paid $200 for it. still cuts firewood and i am betting i could still get my $200 and then some if i could part with it.
Do i need a 361, proly not, would i go back to a consumer saw, not if i had a choice

decomp valve just makes it easier to pull

That makes sense. Sometimes, the cord becomes so hard to pull it feels like my arm is getting pulled out of the socket. The dealer that sold me the saw said it was me, not the saw, and never said anything about Stihls with decompression valves.

I began thinking that I'm too weak and the chainsaw is too big for me. I'm not the biggest guy on the block, but I figure if I can split all my wood by hand I should be strong enough to start my chainsaw. When it works I love my ms290, but sometimes when it's hard to start I hate it.

I've got the 310 and I find it very easy to start, even cold. I drop start all of the time. I would go back to the dealer and ask him to demonstrate the easy way to start the saw. It may be a problem with the recoil. My Homelite was very hard to pull when I first got it. Took off the recoil and cleaned/lubricated it and put it back together. No problem now.

Back