chainsaws in the movies or on tv

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I would add the Mac ( I think ) in the rain on the scarecrow video from John Mellencamp.

The video of "Rain on the scarecrow" was definitely a McCulloch, either PM-800 or PM-805.

Besides the CP-125 in "Sometimes a Great Notion", there was also either a Mac 795 or 797 that Newman used. One of their loggers also had I believe a mac 550. I'm not usre what Richard Jackel was running at the end, either a CP-125 or 700 series Mac.

Spencer's Mountain with Henry Fonda had an old Mac. it been a bunch of years since i saw the movie, but I believe it was a Mac 35.

bob

The topping/limbing saw in Sometimes a Great Notion looks to be an SP-60 or SP-70 to me. That's the saw which gets tossed into the river. The large frame Macs are the CP-125 and a 740 or 790 (no DSP lever so it's not a 795 or 797). It has a silver-ish tank top. Either repainted or the original black is worn away. That's what I saw anyways.

The Homelite folks are talking about looks like a mutt made from a late C-72 or XP1000/1020/1050. The tank front looks to be repainted grey, and appears to be one of the deeper covers.....as found on some of the later 6.1 and 7ci saws. A Homelite Nut friend showed me three different depth C/XP-series covers a while back. The shortest ones are on the C-series, with the deeper two (for more tank capacity) were used on the XP saws and 2000/2100. That 'chainbrake' is just some sort of funky handguard.

The topping/limbing saw in Sometimes a Great Notion looks to be an SP-60 or SP-70 to me. That's the saw which gets tossed into the river. The large frame Macs are the CP-125 and a 740 or 790 (no DSP lever so it's not a 795 or 797). It has a silver-ish tank top. Either repainted or the original black is worn away. That's what I saw anyways.

The topping tree saw is a CP-70, AV mounts, right hand rewind. It looks like Richard Jackel used one and Michael Sarrazin both used them at the end. I couldn't see a good enough picture to see if they had DSP levers or not. I might be mistaken, the saw in the boat also looks like a 700 series, again cannot tell if there is a DSP lever or not.

That CP-70 (you're right.....I remembered the AV but forgot the RH start) is used as the topping saw, then later as a limbing saw by Richard. When all hell breaks loose, he tosses it into the river.

The rear of that 700 series Mac is visible in a couple shots. No DSP lever. I've looked closely at it......and I have a still shot of that saw in Newman's hands as my profile pic. Looks like my 740 and 790.

Where did you see a saw that you thought might be a 550? I'd like to see that as I have a 550 too.

Just finished watching my Packers demolish da Bears, when across my muted screen (I always mute the commercials unless something looks good) comes a logging scene in a Snickers candy bar ad. Being of course interested and hopeful for saw ####, I unmute it and there's a guy with an older muscle saw. It happened too fast, and my knowledge of those saws is so limited, that I could not ID it. Then it fades to Roseanne Barr with a Stihl, and a big ole moving stick suspended off a cable takes her out. I laughed like hell!

Also was too fast for me to ID the Stihl.

Think that's one I gotsta look up on YouTube. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Hmmm, doesn't actually look like a Stihl in her hands. But any ad where that $*#*& gets taken out has to be a good one. :D :D :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XO_uJVL8KkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

looks like a big homie... C-51 maybe? But the red is kinda throwing me off...

What type of "saw" is Jimmy running in the movie "Legend of Tillamooks Gold"......while trying to win the Bull-of-the Woods?

Last edited:
I once saw this guy, you know, ex logger type, that had some chainsaws that he custom made from motor bike engines....he appeared on Monster Garage

Yes, back in the day......making a cut with the 500......for Jessie at the Monster Garage.

ed9d6353.jpg

4cbf98c1.jpg

76310e70.jpg

Last edited:
Coltrane's Planes & Automobiles: The 2 Stroke Engines...........Coltrane's Planes & Automobiles: The 2 Stroke Engine Part 2 - YouTube

.......is another "film" Rolin Eslinger and I did with Robbie Coltrain in McCloud, Ca. We fell a Ponderosa snag and ran the hotsaws for him and his film crew. Fast forward to about the 5:45 minute mark. Timmmmmber!.......Hahahahahahaha!

Last edited:
looks like a big homie... C-51 maybe? But the red is kinda throwing me off...

Yep. C/XP-Series mutt...

The Homelite folks are talking about looks like a mutt made from a late C-72 or XP1000/1020/1050. The tank front looks to be repainted grey, and appears to be one of the deeper covers.....as found on some of the later 6.1 and 7ci saws. A Homelite Nut friend showed me three different depth C/XP-series covers a while back. The shortest ones are on the C-series, with the deeper two (for more tank capacity) were used on the XP saws and 2000/2100. That 'chainbrake' is just some sort of funky handguard.

Coltrane's Planes & Automobiles: The 2 Stroke Engines...........Coltrane's Planes & Automobiles: The 2 Stroke Engine Part 2 - YouTube

.......is another "film" Rolin Eslinger and I did with Robbie Coltrain in McCloud, Ca. We fell a Ponderosa snag and ran the hotsaws for him and his film crew. Fast forward to about the 5:45 minute mark. Timmmmmber!.......Hahahahahahaha!

Cool stuff Dennis. That was an ugly snag you put down. Glad it didn't drop any limbs on your noggin. "I'ts a sporty chainsaw Hahahahahahahahaha!":hmm3grin2orange:

Howdy Folks,

There is an episode of the new Star Trek "Enterprise" where captain Archer is cutting some wood on an alien plant with a chain saw. I don't remember the name of the episode or what saw.

v/r

Mike

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fOCed1iCOzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> i

Not sure if mentioned............Scarface they use a repainted homelite XL to cut the guy up in the shower:msp_ohmy:

At least it looked like an XL to me

Back