It's a boost port y'all!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well the Craigslist Poulan Pro 655 came in today and man, it was even nicer than the pics in the ad. It came with a 42" .404 bar/chain combo and a 20" 3/8 bar/chain combo both with new chains. There was also a .404 rim and new floorplate for the rear handle. I spoke with the seller on the phone and he said it ran great and had about 150psi. Well I have been missing my 655BP and wanted to make this one as nice, so I tracked down a nos full wrap handle, new large west coast spikes and a new piston to go in/on this beast. The saw came and ran great as stated. I then installed the new parts including the .404 rim and guess what I found when I pulled the cylinder.......IT WAS A BP, that's right, this thing is a boos ported beast. Anyway it went back together and looked great. I'll say this. I didn't expect the compression to jump as much as it did just from a new piston/rings this soon, but I wasn't smart enough to think about the decomp when I went to start it the first time after assembly and my finger tips and elbow are probably gonna be on strike tomorrow. What is scary is that as those new rings seat the comp will probably go up a bit more still. So the saw turned out to be as nice as my old BP, but with a nos piston to boot. I made some videos showing how it came in, when I found that lovely boost port and the finished project. Just in: Hoss's 655 Boost Port 1 - YouTube
The big discovery: Hoss's 655 Boost Port 2 - YouTube
The done deal: Hoss's 655 Boost Port 3 - YouTube

Last edited:
I forgot to say and I hope you guys will understand. When I went to start it for the video, there was no problem with the saw, I just got a little excited and forgot to disengage the choke.:redface:

Nice looking saw Hoss. I love that era of Pioneers. Really like my 655, but it was a non BP. I would like to run both side by side.

Nice looking saw Hoss. I love that era of Pioneers. Really like my 655, but it was a non BP. I would like to run both side by side.

I have a Pioneer P61 as well which should be about the saw as a non boost ported 655 I guess. Maybe I can arrange a side by side video sometime soon.

Make it happen Ian. Good score BTW. Didn't you just sell one of these?:hmm3grin2orange:

I dunno what ya mean. Hasn't it been forever? Maybe it just feels like it. I guess I have an allergic condition that doesn't allow me to go too long without a 655 in the collection or else I end up buying a bunch of other saws to try to take it's place.:msp_biggrin:

Really, really nice, Ian. Looks to be a very low hour saw in very nice shape. A set of Boyesan Hi Perf reeds would give it a boost also, I have a little experience with these saws and a few of them reside here with me.

Really, really nice, Ian. Looks to be a very low hour saw in very nice shape. A set of Boyesan Hi Perf reeds would give it a boost also, I have a little experience with these saws and a few of them reside here with me.

Ok I checked Boyesan's website and couldn't find which application to look for to fit. I am all in with the idea though.

Ok I checked Boyesan's website and couldn't find which application to look for to fit. I am all in with the idea though.

I have not dealt with them directly so not much help on using their website. One of our members had them make up a run of reeds for the big P series saws a few years ago so Boyesan should either have them instock or still have the pattern for them. I had some from old stock from a Pioneer dealer but used them all up in my saws. Try calling them directly, its better to talk to someone there than navigate a website for something like this.

I have not dealt with them directly so not much help on using their website. One of our members had them make up a run of reeds for the big P series saws a few years ago so Boyesan should either have them instock or still have the pattern for them. I had some from old stock from a Pioneer dealer but used them all up in my saws. Try calling them directly, its better to talk to someone there than navigate a website for something like this.

Sounds good. Thanks

Back