Champion 22-ton splitter problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCCB89

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Champion 22-ton wood splitter. A few days ago it started to not split the wood. The cylinder would extend and retract but when it hit the wood it stopped the ram and wouldn't split the wood. The motor never bogged down or stalled. I removed the pressure relief valve and cleaned it. Removed the spool and cleaned it. Reassembled and the ram would not retract anymore. Put a brand new spare Control valve unit on it in case I had somehow messed up something in the spool and still can't get the ram to retract. Anybody ever experience this problem and have any ideas what my problem might be?

Im no hydraulic expert but just thinking simple things. Filter not plugged. Not low on oil

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Oil level is good, Filter has only about 12-15 hours of runtime on it but I was thinking of replacing it anyway, just in case.

After I reassembled the spool and relief valve after cleaning them, I extended the cylinder fully to purge the air out of the system and it wouldn't retract after that. I replaced the entire control valve unit and still won't retract. I guess I could take loose a line and manually push the ram back in but other than that I am out of ideas.

Latest posts

Back