Changing splitter motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnttreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have two of the cheapie MTD log splitters that came with the Tecumseh 6.5 hp motors and 4 in. cylinders. I don't know what the pump is. One of my engines is shot and the other is close to being at it's end. I replaced the second one once already. I have a 12 hp Briggs laying around and plan to replace the motor with it. My question is: am I going to have any faster cycle times with the bigger motor? And, is there anything else I may need to change being that I will have twice the horsepower (almost)?

tntreeman; Type " woodsplitter " in the search. You will get a lot of info there covering cycle times. What comes to mind is the question of Engilne RPM. If the larger motor turns the same rpm it will only be a little faster as it approaches heaviest load. If a two stage pump, you may be able to set transition to a higher pressure. If it turns a lower rpm, the higher hp motor may be slower. Do look up those articles that the search will link to.

Not sure what your pump is rated, but several on-line 6 and 6.75 hp splitters use 11gpm 2 stage pumps.The 8 hp splitters use 16 gpm 2 stage pumps.The 12 hp motor will run the same rpm as your 6.5 hp motor. So won't see much difference except the 12 hp motor won't be worked very hard. Lost 2 motors ? Must be running them long hours. Are you using a good 30 wt. motor oil in summer and a synthetic 10w 30 for cold weather use with frequent (every 25 running hours) oil changes?
Ray

With the same pump, you won't notice much difference in cycle time. But Ray is correct, you won't be working that bigger motor nearly as hard.

You could upgrade to a higher GPM pump, and cut down your cycle time considerably.

Oh, and ditto on the synthetic oil.

I use the 30 weight in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter, as per the manufacturers instructions. I do use the splitters alot. I think the least amount of wood that I've sold in the past few winters is 200+ cords. I don't think these machines are really built to withstand that much use and I should probably step up to a good size commercial splitter, but it's hard to justify the expense. I have had the first machine for seven years and the second for about five. Both had Tecumseh motors and they only lasted about two years apiece.

Boy, you are working the tar out of those splitters. That's over a 100 cords per machine per year. Each cord is at least a couple hours split time. So 200 hours minimum a year on the machines. Probably have to step up to a commercial duty gas motor.
Not sure of the life expectancy in hours of the I/C or Honda motors.

Worse yet, it's more than 100 cords per year because when the motors went, the other machine had to do all the work. The last motor went a year ago on the one machine and hasn't been replaced yet. Same thing happened when the motor went last time- one machine took the brunt of the work.

You need a commercial grade splitter. Saying the expense isn't warranted is absurd. What do you use for saws, "wild things". Sort of the same idea.

Splitter Motor

TNT--I use the same splitter that you are using--actually very good for the $$$$---I split about 100 Cords per year & just changed the motor on mine--I went from a 6.5 Briggs to a 12 HP Briggs, 2 stage pump--20 GPM & I went to a 5 inch cylinder--total cost about $800...splitter is like new--splits better than ever, faster & more powerful & best of all I did not have to invest thousands. I'm hoping next year to go a commercial unit ie Timberwolf but it will cost around $7,000. I should be able to sell mine for around my investment of $800 so that should ease the pain a little...BILL

Bill, if you're handy at all with metal fabrication, sounds like you already have most of the makings of a really good processor.

Splitter

Netree---Yes it really is a pretty good unit--wish it had a log lift. The way it is now I only use it vertically & I muscle around bigger pieces, i.e. 36 inch diameter oak about 18 inches thick, bust them up & then split the pieces--a lot of manpower for the $$$$ you get in sales. I tried to hire a couple of younger guys to help with the splitting & stacking but they both wanted $10/Hour just to split & stack & after I tried them out for 1/2 day they were both whining about their backs & arms hurting & they slowed down so much it was not worth using them anymore so I went back to doing it all myself with my wife helping stack when she can. I just have to figure out how to manufacture a log lift system & adapt it to my unit.....BILL

The beauty of custom fabrication; your only limit is how big you want to make it. =)

Latest posts

Back