Cheap bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forever, I would think. Oil doesn't go bad but it might separate. Give it a shake and it should be fine in 10 years.

Thanks. I used some old Husky oil that turned a milky-yellow color in the oil tank. I was surprised and haven't figured out yet what happened.

I'm no pro, but I've had zero issues with used cooking oil mixed with a few gulps of Ace hardware $10/gal bar oil. Adds some tackiness to the cooking oil.

I just make sure that I flush it all out with regular bar oil at the end of the season.

Smells like bacon when I cut too.

I've been waitng to hear about using recycled home cooking oil. I thought I'd start using it too. Expecially after a neighbor who gives me a fair amount of repair work blackens his saws because he puts used motor oil in for bar lube.
After cleaning up black motor oil, I vowed I would never put this stuff in any of my Stihls.
I am sure cooking oil would be better than this black ****.

There's no bargains out here on the prairie. Recently the local hardware got in some Recochem chain oils.

http://www.recochem.com/products/chain_saw_oil/chain_saw_oil

The all season at $15 / 3.78 liter - 1 US gallon isn't too bad, but they only have winter at $7 /liter and 5W-20 dino is cheaper. I've used half a gallon of the all season and it seems OK, but they're a bit optimistic about it's low temperature limits. The freezing point is about it.

I filled up up with winter for the first time today and only made a couple of cuts. I think I'll use it in only one saw and run dino in the other two for the winter.

I'm guessing you don't do much cutting in bear country.

Holy crap that's funny. I get a few gallons of used fryer oil from friends in the business for my brother this time of year. When he first started I would get bags of old "food" breads, pizza slices, old meats and anything going in the garbage that could freeze and not rot. He says the bears wont touch it. when he pours some fryer oil on a rock or a tree they wont leave the site. like bear crack.

Has anyone tried Napas bar oil ? Its in our flyer we got recently at $8.99 gallon

For five years now in over ten work saws, polesaws, top handles ect as well l have solely run canola. lt has more advantages than disadvantages mainly being cost but others include no skin irritation, safe to use near waterways where fish are ect. Spill some and the the resident dog will be seen promptly licking it up. l find lubrication better if anything with canola.....the oil company's won't tell you that though, its something you have to google or find out through experience. The biggest issue with canola IME is if you storing bars for extended periods the canola seizes/gums up in the nose sprocket so couple of shots of bearing grease solves that. Even sprockets that seize just need a whack on some wood to free them and a good run. I have not experienced any gumming in anything other than bar sprockets that have been stored for extended periods but now if storing them will clean/flush sprocket and inject lithium bearing grease. An interesting fact to be considered is that what l save not using petroleum base oil per saw per annum is in many cases enough money to replace the saw brand new. Kind of a no brainer IMO and experience.:drinkingcoffee::drinkingcoffee:
Where you gettin yer canola oil? Its always more expensive than bar oil here.

Latest posts

Back