Check out the OUTLAW!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was at Lowe's today at lunch and ran across a Remington Outlaw RM4620. I'm guessing 46cc. Most notable was the price ($199) and the fact that it had a pro-style crankcase. I bet it's an aluminum case by the look of it. Pretty heavy for a small saw, but for that price might pick one up and try it out. Might make a good loaner saw. Anyone had any experience with one of these?20150929_130124.jpg 20150929_130129.jpg 20150929_130157.jpg

I did notice it was "assembled in China" and EPA compliance period was only 50 hours. I'm guessing its not the highest quality saw, but seems like a strange combination for an aluminum case with a wild thing price.....

Quality of aluminum can be all over the map... Compare a Honda lay-down style dirt bike/ATV engine to a chinese knock-off... The difference in quality is noticeable.

I'm not necessarily saying this little saw is junk, but any time you look at stuff like this that originates from china, quality is often questionable.

I saw that saw at Lowe's last Sat. I did pick it up off the shelf and put it back down, too heavy for what it is. If I were going to go with a Chinese saw there's much better viable options out there. It might interesting to tinker with.

For that price we need someone to donate one for porting pipe work bigger carb and maybe a retro fit on ignition and build a cheep hot rod saw.then youl know what the engine can handle I bet used parts plus saw you might spend 300 max

Unless you're pruning a redwood, you're good!!! Those PR boys were working overtime on that one.
View attachment 528270

Most people that aren't saw aficionados associate bar length with power. They don't even mention, or sometimes even know their powerheads cc. "I have a 16" saw, but I'd like to get a 20" some day". The 20" bar saw is the hillbilly gold standard chainsaw. Doesn't matter the powerheads, it's always "I want a 20".

These saws are sold in a variety of brand flavors like craftsman, troy bilt, Remington, and many Chinese names. They are based on a good design and made decently but suffer from the typical homeowner not knowing how to use it problems.

You can by the whole engine for 55$ from jacks small engines.

The fit and finish of these looks decent - some of the plastic parts on my dad's MS 250 were horrid compared to what I saw when I looked at one of these. They are clearly a step up compared to the Earthquake units as well, as I did not see any drooping fins or near as much casting/molding flash. The Ryobi RY3716 I looked at at HD was the same. It's clear to me they've made a step improvement in QC and will be pushing the low end very hard.

It's going to be a blood bath in the low priced saw market, and since the emission regs are not tough enough and anyone can meet them with a cat there will be no way for the big names to protect themselves. If they tightened the emissions limits a bit further then Husqvarna could put AT and strato on every cheap Poulan and meet them, but there is no benefit to doing so now.

These saws are available in 52cc (and larger) on eBay, both with and without cats/EPA cert, and there the weight becomes more acceptable.

Latest posts

Back