Check out this overloaded pickup!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't know either he had LOTS of springs under there, or he had solid blocks to keep it from sagging. :dunno:
because to me he does not even look like he is sagging, and with that load he should be.

my 3/4 ton came up about 4" after unloading this, which was almost a full cord.
took off fine.
stopped okay (brand new brakes)
but front end felt 'light'.......:)
45mph all the way home. mostly side roads.
tried 55 mph no problem even with two fouled plugs, just wanted to be sure i could stop....

DSC04338JPGsmall.jpg

Last edited:
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Damn if he made it home with that much I wonder how much he started with. If I tried something like that I could'nt get 10 foot down the road without half of it being on the highway.:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

My '98 F150 has the 4.2L V6 and my '86 had the MPFI 5.0 V8. Guess which one makes more HP and has more torque on the low end! That 4.2L wins hands down! The new 5.4L Triton engines are awesome for their displacement.

The difference there is the repair costs involved. The 4.2s are getting stupid expensive fro maintenance. The 5.4s have the worst head design I have ever seen. They have such a rep for breaking of sparkplug tips because of their bad design almost ever tool manufacturer has made a special tool to fit that problem. At the shop I'm at we tell customers that if any plugs break off it goes onto straight time for the removal. The most recent one took 6 extra hours to remove all the broken off plugs. We are the only shop in town besides the Dealer who will tangle with them and they sent on to use because they couldn't get them out.

5'hx6'wx8'L= 240 I know it's got to be rounded some and the wheel wells are in there, but that's a lot, and it is a 1/2 ton.

i don't know either he had LOTS of springs under there, or he had solid blocks to keep it from sagging. :dunno:
because to me he does not even look like he is sagging, and with that load he should be.

my 3/4 ton came up about 4" after unloading this, which was almost a full cord.
took off fine.
stopped okay (brand new brakes)
but front end felt 'light'.......:)
45mph all the way home. mostly side roads.
tried 55 mph no problem even with two fouled plugs, just wanted to be sure i could stop....

DSC04338JPGsmall.jpg
Nice old Chev I have the body style down from that one a 1980 before that I had a 68.Mine has a raised topper on it about 4' high at the back. I always's get just shy of a full cord of wood in mine, my last load was 120cu feet but if I leave the saws on the floor of the cab I can get a full cord:greenchainsaw: But I cut dead standing Pine so not nearly the wight of hardwood or even green Pine. My 68 was a different story 396 and I could bury the 100 mph speedo with a full load of wood just glad I never had to stop with them Drum brakes. I had another 68 with a 327 and a good set of heads all I could get out of her was 80mph okay maybe 90 on a slight down hill lol. I own all of the big three now but I will take a old GM over any new GM or Ford Or Dodge in a gas powdered truck. Note I said Gas powered not diesel that goes to Dodge lol. I can't help it I like old trucks, Trucks thease day's are too comfy although I think a F250 or 350 with a Cummings and a Alison trany would be perfect.
The biggest problem is finding a old truck that is not Rusted out I am tired of replacing body panels and floor boards.
P.S that 68 with the 327 had over 400,000 miles on her but motor was rebuilt though, trany a tubo 400 auto never was touched other than fluid and filter changes. Wish I had digital pics of her in her glory years,and she lived her hole life as a work truck!

Nice old Chev I have the body style down from that one a 1980 before that I had a 68.
thanks, have had this one for almost 16yrs, have only put like 15,000 miles on her :D
she is rusting rusting rusting, but snow plowing will do that.
keep nursing her along till i can get a newer 1ton oil burner;)

I've got an '03 Chevy 4x4 that came with factory overload springs. If I put half the much wood on my truck the back bumper would be dragging the ground.

I love how people put down the new trucks when they have higher gvw's heavier frames and better rear axels. I understand there is a lot more plastic and i dont like it either but the new f-150 have a huge frame it kinda overkill. I've had over 3,000 lbs in mine reg cab 8ft bed and it handled it fine and i dont even have a heavy payload package. Some of the old f-250's are lighter than the new 150's.

Yep. The rigidity of the new trucks is unbelievable. The new trucks weight quite a bit more to begin with, so their rated payload is often less. Sometimes they have weaker springs too, but they no doubt have tougher axles and better frames. And it's not even close on engines.

It's too bad that you can't get a SM465 in any new trucks though. Hard to find ANY light/medium duty tranny that will take the abuse that they will.

tough trucks

Have a 63/64 (63 truck 64 bed) Chevy 3/4 ton that I routinly load till it won't hold anymore, high as the cab, tail gate too (no side boards). Old Chevies had a bed 4-6 inches wider than other trucks. Usually don't get on public roads like that though, only have 8000 lb. license on it. 250 cu. in. 6 with SM465 4 speed. Buddy of mine had a 75 Chevy 1/2T van that we fitted a SM465 into, he would FILL it with firewood and happily drive away with it.

Last edited:
Have a 63/64 (63 truck 64 bed) Chevy 3/4 ton that I routinly load till it won't hold anymore, high as the cab, tail gate too (no side boards). Old Chevies had a bed 4-6 inches wider than other trucks. Usually don't get on public roads like that though, only have 8000 lb. license on it. 250 cu. in. 6 with SM465 4 speed. Buddy of mine had a 75 Chevy 1/2T van that we fitted a SM465 into, he would FILL it with firewood and happily drive away with it.

Dad told me about a time when he loaded his 1/2 ton 77 chev 4X4 loaded from the toolbox(made the load go farther back on the truck) all the way to the end of the endgate and over the cab for height. He hit a bump and said he felt the front wheels leave the road. Don't know if it is true since I was pretty young, but I won't load on the tailgate at all because of that....and the fact that the endgates are no longer built to handle any substantive weight. They just bend in the center.

I sure liked that pickup. It had the 400 with the 4-barrel carb. What a powerhouse. Lots of speed, too. I got to drive it when I got old enough to see over the steering wheel.

my wifes 03 1/2ton dodge with trailer package does okay, not like my chevy does, but it's short trips with a maybe overloaded trailer it survies for now, till i get my 1ton :D

hemiloadedl.jpg

unloaded, so it does sag a little with trailer

DSC04236small.jpg

maybe too much weight in the trailer? :D

woodtrailer.jpg

Back