Check out this overloaded pickup!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last wood you would want that to be is green Cottonwood, It looks like it might be pine, the tires do not look real 'flexed'.

It is oak. All we have around here is oak and ash(most of the cutting is by the river area). Maybe some maple. I double checked when I took the picture. Maybe he has added some springs and overinflated the tires? What sets me off the most is the lack of securing the load. Of course, the overload is a close second(at least, I assume it is overloaded).

Ford changed body styles in 1980, so its a 1979 or earlier PU. I can't see fender badges or count lugs on the wheels, so can't tell if its 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton.

I had a 1986 F150 shortbed, stepside. GVW was 6150, so max load with driver should have been 1900#. I used it to get hard coal and generally got 2500-2600#. We cleaned out the backstop at an indoor shooting range, and I had over 3000# in the bed. Getting moving wasn't a problem so much as stopping.

Who ever stacked the rounds in the s10 really knows how to use space. Split the rounds to wedge between to make tight fit. Even though he more then likely overloaded that 1/4 ton s10 he deserves a beer. :cheers:

I think I just figured out how to post the photo in the message so here is the photo of the S10 blazer again,.... maybe

attachment.php

5 lug nuts on the back tire makes it a 1/2 ton.

Of course he could have put in a crap load of extra springs in it, that sorta thing has been known to happen around here.:smoking: Maybe hasn't been the safest way but it got the job done.

I was coming back from deer hunting and saw this pickup both days. First time it was at a gas station. Today it was in his yard. It is loaded with split oak. You Ford guys will be able to tell if it is 1/2 or 3/4 ton, but looks like a light pickup to me. He had two pickup trailers loaded just as high. Nothing was tied down!
Dont worry,...ITS a FORD, Eric

We use to have an 83 dodge 1/2 ton. I would put 2 ton of cow feed (80 50# sacks) in the bed every week. Once I got some rock salt and salt blows and had 4700#s in the bed. It had factory springs. Tires never rubbed and it hauled it. I'm sure it wasn't the safest but it worked.

Scott

They just dont build trucks like they used to.

Lets see a new F-150 haul that, esp one with an underpowered v-6.

Well it does look like 5 lugs, but looks like outboard bearings on the rear end. Or could just be center caps. also looks like a solid front axle (3/4) and the cab lights were only put on 3/4's, but who knows all that could be added on a truck that old, but truck looks stock.

Can you get a long box F150 now a days? Seems like all I've seen have been extended / crew cabs with regular or mini boxes. It would be pretty hard to get a full cord in a mini box on a super crew.

I thought is was kind of funny that a 6' box on a Chevy is called a regular box not a short box. I suppose since there are more than two bed lengths that's why.

Don

My '71 F250 with 360ci (or 390? can't remember without going out to it!)engine has a dry weight of 4500lb, and GVW of 7500lbs.

I took 16 loads of broken up concrete from my old driveway to the dump. The last load felt a little bit heavier...a tad harder to stop, somewhat reduced cornering ability...so I asked what my weight was. 8900lbs!

That last load of just-cut-Oak rounds felt heavier still. Doesn't look like much, but water weighs roughly 8.3lbs per gallon..how many gallons are in that load of Oak?...dunno...but it felt heavier than 2+tons of concrete!
attachment.php

Last edited:
That's ridiculous! I believe in getting a heaping load on a truck, but even with a one ton dually (10,000 GVWR) I don't load anywhere near that much wood. I would really hate to see a piece of wood bounce off my truck and land in someone else's windshield!

The old trucks, back before things got stupid, pretty much all came with an 8' box. And, before '81, the 3/4 tons actually all had decent rear axles. You can put a measured, stacked cord on one of these, secure it well (chain and load binders for me) and you will do just fine.

Please forgive my nostalgic flair (especially since what I think of as being old is from the late-80's!).....BUT....the old-school way of doing thing was to build things how they were going to be realistically used.

Nowadays, things are way-underbuilt in hopes that they will be "urbanly-used"...meaning an occasional boat-to-the-lake pull.

My only real world experience is when I started working at a Ford dealership in '95, when warranty work included the Bronco. Plastic soon replaced metal. Hard-wired-circuits were replaced by modules ("computers" that were "better" at controlling lights and windows, and now, gulp.... throttles!!!!!!!)

But back in the '70's and 60's, it was the closest we were to "the old days" of everyone being a "farmer" to simply stay alive and eat what they grew. Things were meant to last, built to last.

I challenge anybody on the planet to daily use a Ford Contour(which had the largest ever development costs) and report back in 2050 how it's going. I dare you!! Can't even keep the 10-year-old-ones on the road going after nearly any failure!

Last wood you would want that to be is green Cottonwood, It looks like it might be pine, the tires do not look real 'flexed'.

Funny that you mention that geen cottonwood!! lol... We cut tons of green cottonwood here. I had one of those loads that you think that it might all fit if...... yep we got it all on there!! one heckuva load, cab high, 8 foot box saws in the cab with gas and oil load!!The ol truck was squished, didn't look to bad though, untill I realized that the bumper ws hitting on a log, hidden by brush! I pulled away and there was a bit of an incline... well I can say that I have popped a wheelie in a truck now!! Not a safe deal, I only had a short way to go on a secluded farm road, paved, I went for home, 30 mph was safe, 35 she was all over the road... we made the 8 mile trip, I don't think the tires would have made 9 miles!! Kinda one of those things that you do and know darn well that you dodged a bullet! Oh did I mention that that ol truck was a 89 chevy 1/2 ton. I still see it driving around!

Man, I like to load up my GMC but those guys take the cake. Around here I don't think I would get more than a mile without getting pulled over for that trick.

They just dont build trucks like they used to.

Lets see a new F-150 haul that, esp one with an underpowered v-6.

My '98 F150 has the 4.2L V6 and my '86 had the MPFI 5.0 V8. Guess which one makes more HP and has more torque on the low end! That 4.2L wins hands down! The new 5.4L Triton engines are awesome for their displacement.

I'm pretty sure that is a half ton. I had a 78 4 wheel drive. It had solid front axle with coils. The 3/4 ton had leaf springs in the front. Those sure look like 5 lug wheels with center caps.

I had a load of pea gravel in mine one time. It was full, level to the top bed rails. I had the guy with the loader stop when the truck hit the rubber snubbers.

When I pulled on the scale the guy working the scale got a funny look on his face and waved me off. He wouldn't tell me how much it weighed and wouldn't take any money from me.

I was only about ten miles from home and took it real easy on the back roads. It sure did seem like I was looking at the sky the whole way home. I figure it must've been around 4000#

Back