Cheep Knock-Off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hard Knocks

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Check this thing out. It is a cheep Chinese knock off of EHP's power cutters. Compare all of the parts and features to Partner and Husqvarna and they are very similar - only much cheeper. The plastic is very brittle and thin, and the castings are poor. It is truly a POS with no identifying name, model number or even a serial number. It just says that it is a "power Cutting saw". This thing even has an exact duplicate to the EHP decompression valve. What are we in for next?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94488

94488.gif

They have another much larger model too, looks like a Stihl, its very solid, good plastics, good guards.

Oh.. they are around, and real junk... had a guy bring in a STEEL TS400 for repair.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sand cast POS... (Hey Troll -Real bad power to weight ;) ) bad bearings in less than two hours of use. Sent him gently on his way....

They say that in order to produce in China, you have to get a chinese company to partner with you. While you are building your products they copy your entire process and build a "shadow plant", basically a complete copy of what you are doing. At some point using this copy plant they begin producing something very similar to your product.

I'll bet that they are coming to a flea market near you.:givebeer:

Urbicide: As Lakeside stated they are already here.
And they are the biggest POS I have ever laid my hands on, the ones that were brought in for repair, were bought off one of those tool trucks that travel around for one nite stands. Thats OK the dumb asses that bought them paid dearly for the repairs, as there is no warranty on them. They are close copys of Partner and Husqvarna cutoff saws so the genuine ELUX parts fit, no problem. They do look strange with a little yellow, black. & orange parts here and there.

" Now for the warning to all of you out there with any inclination of buying this Chinese built Junk, save your money, by just saying no, or if you just have to throw your money away, I will gladly accept all donations."

:stupid: :bang: :sucks:

Oh.. they are around, and real junk... had a guy bring in a STEEL TS400 for repair.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sand cast POS... (Hey Troll -Real bad power to weight ;) ) bad bearings in less than two hours of use. Sent him gently on his way....

STEEL! Ha! That's a good one! You should have charged him just for being a fool!:D

The Chinese are fairly well known for making exact copies of other's technology. Once they get going, they throw effort into quality control and usually end up with a competitive product. My last experience with this phenomenon was with high-end air rifles. When people think "air rifles" they usually think kids toys, but this is not true anymore. In Europe they take their air rifles pretty seriously and many people use the high end gas ram and pheumatic rifles for target and pest control. The Chinese have gained quite a market share by producing some VERY nice guns... they did so by getting a facsimile out on the market and then refining it until they produced essentially the same product at half the price.

In addition to their nice stuff, they do produce some crap still, though.

Latest posts

Back