Chimney install question with new Daka

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whankin2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, wood heating newbie here. I just purchased a Daka after much reading of this site. My house does not have a masonry chimney, so I will be building a metal ClassA chimney. Issue is that it will have to be a thru-the-wall setup, as opposed to going straight up thru the ceiling. Question I have is, has anyone here had success with thru-wall chimneys, esp with the 3-4 90 degree elbows I will have to use getting up & out my basement with stovepipe? I am concerned that there could be issues with draft or creosote. Any advice much appreciated, and thx in advance.

Thanks a bunch Brian. Very detailed pics there. I'll make sure to take some of my install as well. That pretty much matches what I am trying to do. I will also check out **********. Did you use triple pipe or dbl pipe?

Try to a reduce a couple of those 90s to 45s.

You want to go with 45s. The HVAC gurus have stated that each 90 degree elbow is equivalent to 10 feet of pipe. I heard this years ago, but remember it quite well. My wife hates it that I remember so much "Brain Lint".:spam:

The less tight corners that you have the easier the flow. Each time air flows(either under pressure or draft) around a 90 degree corner there is a dead spot. In the dead spot it is prone for creosote to occur.

I think I remember it right.

HTH
Glenn

Edit: There are some cases where 90's can not be avoided. Chimney bases to insulated pipe cannot be avoided, like in the linked pictures. Sometimes it is the best and only case were only 90's can be used. Even when you use 45's or 30 degree elbows there is still a "stale" spot, but is greatly reduced compared to 90's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back