Chinese quality test??...lol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is it so wrong that I want one just so I can port it, sharpen the chain, and put some bar oil in so I can kick their arse with the same saw????

totally just emailed them so I can find out what one of those ms660's costs!

Let us know on pricing, I'm sure a lot of folks are curious.

There are two versions of these saws guys. The 066 copy became available this week and in a few weeks time an MS660 copy will hit the market from a different manufacturer. Both copies had been delayed due to "teething problems" and were originally meant to hit the market over a month ago.
I can get an 066 copy from my Chinese supplier for USD$355 but funnily enough the actual manufacturer emailed me as well saying that he can supply me one for USD$475.
My guess is that they'll hold together OK but the carbies will be garbage, just like previous Chinese copies I've owned or run. I have never had a major mechanical failure from a Chinese copy of a well known saw (038/365 etc) that wasn't a seized top end from a dodgey carby.

Previous MS660 copies have actually been 038 copies with MS660 badges stuck on them. Blind Freddy can tell they aren't 066/660's.

And before anybody asks no I won't supply them or give anybody contact details. It's amazing the amount of Chinese companies that contact you when you have details for a chainsaw business in your sig.

P.S. The smoke you can see is because it is a Chinese hard nosed bar without the hardened insert and Chinese chain which is notorious for not oiling properly. The saw itself looked like it was OK. The fact that the Chinese hardly know how to use a chainsaw and certainly can't make a hard nosed bar or properly designed chain to save themselves didn't help :)

Last edited:
Wow, that was really painful to watch.

After the first 'cookie' was cut....I went into the kitchen and made a sandwich, when I came back...they were just getting through the second cookie. ;)

I don't know what was causing all that smoke, but Mosquitoes would never be a problem. (those clever Chinese)

So who's going to be the 1st with a Guley?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 314716View attachment 314717View attachment 314718View attachment 314719

I think those chinese are doing Stihl a favor! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the oiler work?

No problems there and fully adjustable. The bar tensioner seems a bit weaker than OEM (although it may get less notchy with use) and they've centralised the bar tensioning screw so I can machine the studs down and run 9mm Husky bars.
As far as the way it runs I've ran plenty of 066/660's over the years and it's right there with them. Like most Chinese saws it came tuned rich at 11,700rpm so will lean it out tomorrow and give it more of a workout.
I got sent this saw to test so might as well give it a hiding.

Now the big question, how does the price compare to stihl. What does a Chinese 660 cost. I know what a stihl cost and it ain't cheap.

It isn't going to be as cheap as some Chinese saws and freight is nearly 1/3rd of the total cost. I'd be paying just over 1/2 the price of a new 660 but as mentioned the manufacturer's price will be around 65% of new so you'd be better off buying a second hand 066/660 in my opinion.

But, But. But if you hang 10.000 lbs. of weight on the rear handle, it will break, haven't you seen the tests?:rolleyes2::dizzy::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

That's why I'm not going to hang 10lb off the rear handle :)

The Chinese saws may be junk right now..........

But, how many remember the influx of Japanese electronics and vehicles?

They learned and improved, to the point of now having a very large market share.

The Chinese are going to do the same thing, their government will sponsor all the quality improvements need to get a huge chunk of out spent dollars in every facet of our economy.

Wait and see :msp_sad:

A couple years back I picked up a used chinese 4 wheeler for my kids to play with. The engine is a copy of the old honda 50 engine made famous on mini bikes from the 70's. While the elctric start doesn't work, which is why I got it for $100, you can bump start it in 4th gear. We've been pretty mercilous to the little thing and while I look like a clown driving my 200+ pounds around on it, darned if we haven't been able to kill thing!

I still don't like the idea of a chinese saw as their products always seem to have little things breaking here and there. I'd rather just pay for a quality saw then have to buy two chinese saws because I can't trust one of them.

Latest posts

Back