Choosing a top handle saw to replace my 009

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffkrib

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My old $50 Stihl 009 is starting to play up. It feels like it has ok compression but once it heats up it loses power and dies. Some days its running ultra rich other days its tuned perfect. I don’t think it’s a good idea to put any money into it such as a carb kit ect.

I’m thinking of buying a new replacement and like the idea of a top handle to go with my 550xp and 7900. Although I’m just a firewood hack I have all the climbing gear from rock climbing and caving. I do sometimes get up the odd tree at my place and when I helping out family and friends.

I don’t need a new 201TC but would like decent quality at a good price. My bench mark test is to look up ebay, sort by price and find the entry level of the reputable brands. Are these any good or do people have any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

upload_2016-8-24_15-29-41.png

Those two saws you listed are both the same but different colors.

I have no experience with these specific Tanaka/Hitachi saws, but, I can tell you that sourcing parts for Tanaka equipment takes some time; one must be patient.

Anything that is made in Japan by Tanaka is really good, but I wouldn't trust other countries manufacturing for them.... I think they have some of their saws made in China now...

What about one of the little Echo CS-355T's ? Great deal for a new saw with a good reputation on here and I have personal knowledge of one pro arborist locally who uses one and I have serviced it for him. He loves it.

Of course, there is the other good option of a Stihl 020T or MS200T if you can find a good deal. Lonewolf here has a super nice Stihl 020T for a great price less than $300 in the trading post.

There is a CS-360T in ebay for $500 brand new, great saw, normally $700. Easy to find parts, and not that difficult to DIY maintenance. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NE...548948?hash=item3acacd33d4:g:fcwAAOSwTZ1Xlw3L

I've got a CS-350TES, and it is quite a powerful saw.

If those pictures are representative of your budget, a Makita top handle might be worth looking at too, although they are smaller. I believe they are made by Dolmar, so they should be reliable. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Makita-D...330621?hash=item3d239a76fd:g:ODwAAOSwgZ1Xur3m

I have the above Hitachi/Tanaka. I haven't used it a lot since I have had it only since 3 months. I am not so worried about far east assembly. Of course you can always get a lemon, but the goes for every product.
Pro: nice power, nice handling
Cons: plastic saw

I also have a Zenoah /Efco/Oleo Mac g2500/g260/g2600. Smaller, lighter but less powerful and also a plastic saw. I prefer it when doing light limbing work.

My old $50 Stihl 009 is starting to play up. It feels like it has ok compression but once it heats up it loses power and dies. Some days its running ultra rich other days its tuned perfect

No worries mate!

Don't give up on her now, she's just about broke in. Here's how it works: You'll toss her in the shed cause she's running rough. Then you'll drink a bunch of beer over the summer and forget how bad she ran. You throw in fresh gas, pull the cord, then Boom!

She's just muffler modded herself, purr's like a really loud kitten, and Bob's your uncle!

Hitachi/Tanaka products are very good and great value for money. The only thing I don't like is the chains they use but that's quickly and easily fixed, hardly a deal breaker.
That specific saw is also available straight from the dealer with a 12" bar, which is probably a better choice for a top handle saw, espcially if used in cramped spaces.

As stated the only problem with them is spare availability. The spares exist but take a lot of time to show up: you'd think they are having them manufactured just for you by the time it takes for delivery.

I forgot to mention that I am very happy with my other Hitachi/Tanaka equipment! I have two air blowers, two small straight shaft trimmer (1x 2 stroke combitool , 1x 4 stroke), 1 backpack brushcutter, 1 brushcutter/clearing saw and now 4 chainsaws.

What I forgot, my TH version has the 12inch setup, which I find totally sufficient.

Like most things kind of don't have a budget, if i realy wanted to I could get a ported 201tc from the states but that would be a waste of money for the amount I would be using it. I guess I would be looking for an top handle equivalent of what the Echo 590 is in the 60cc class. Good quality and good value for money.

Rio95 those makita's can be had for $349 at bunnings last time I looked, I would probebly pay the extra for the warranty. The Echo 360 looks like a good deal if it goes for $500. To put it in perspective those hitachi/tanaka saws would cost around $400 once landed from the states.

009L throwing in the shed is much better than throwing in the bin or at the ground. Its failed to start for me on several occasions only to run faultlessly months down the track. I used it again on the weekend and it ran like a dog. Thats the reason im looking for some expert opinions here. I will however be taking your opinion and throwing it in the shed for tinkering at a later stage.

Like most things kind of don't have a budget, if i realy wanted to I could get a ported 201tc from the states but that would be a waste of money for the amount I would be using it. I guess I would be looking for an top handle equivalent of what the Echo 590 is in the 60cc class. Good quality and good value for money.

Rio95 those makita's can be had for $349 at bunnings last time I looked, I would probebly pay the extra for the warranty. The Echo 360 looks like a good deal if it goes for $500. To put it in perspective those hitachi/tanaka saws would cost around $400 once landed from the states.

009L throwing in the shed is much better than throwing in the bin or at the ground. Its failed to start for me on several occasions only to run faultlessly months down the track. I used it again on the weekend and it ran like a dog. Thats the reason im looking for some expert opinions here. I will however be taking your opinion and throwing it in the shed for tinkering at a later stage.

Just having some fun JK.

Honestly, my 009L went through a little phase of running all wacko. I was getting ready to replace and it cleared up. I have no idea what that was all about. It did however Muffler Mod itself (a.k.a. wore-out) LOL!

I actually like most things Tanaka/Hitachi even used their 2 stroke oil for years with great results. Here's a Amazon link with 100 customer reviews, and 26 answered questions. Give it a read if you have the time, maybe you'll find the answer you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Tanaka-TCS33EDTP-12-32-2cc-12-Inch/dp/B009KBOJY8

-Pat

Pat,

All good I realise you were not having a go at me, but just re-read my reply and it looks like im getting stroppy (which im not). I guess I should use these things :dancing::drinkingcoffee::laugh: to convey tone more often.
I looked at your the amazon link and they get good reviews but I do think an echo 360T would be better in the long term.
Added bonus is its red and the wife hopefully wont realise I upgraded.

Jeff

My old $50 Stihl 009 is starting to play up. It feels like it has ok compression but once it heats up it loses power and dies. Some days its running ultra rich other days its tuned perfect. I don’t think it’s a good idea to put any money into it such as a carb kit ect.

I’m thinking of buying a new replacement and like the idea of a top handle to go with my 550xp and 7900. Although I’m just a firewood hack I have all the climbing gear from rock climbing and caving. I do sometimes get up the odd tree at my place and when I helping out family and friends.

I don’t need a new 201TC but would like decent quality at a good price. My bench mark test is to look up ebay, sort by price and find the entry level of the reputable brands. Are these any good or do people have any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 521257

009 are not terrible saws.

Maybe it just needs a hose or seal?

I had one 009T that did my orchards for years

I agree when it's running properly its a good saw and Iv'e cut a lot of wood with it. Its just one of those things when do you call it a day and move on. Iv'e made the mistake of pumping money into old stuff and regreted it when i found more issues needed fixing.

But madprofessor youve convinced me maybe its best to have a good look over this thing and see if I can find any simple issues before I give up. Won!t cost me anything to look.

So I gave away my 009 and would like to buy a new top handle saw.
Currently looking at;

Echo Cs2511 TES $799
Stihl MSA 160T $ 810 (including fast charger and 35min cut time battery)
Stihl MS 150 $799
Husqvarna T536 Li XP $1097

Australian prices

Would appreciate thoughts on these

upload_2018-8-10_15-16-40.pngupload_2018-8-10_15-23-35.png

upload_2018-8-10_15-25-11.png
upload_2018-8-10_15-27-6.png
upload_2018-8-10_15-32-47.png

Great deal there! I paid $379 for mine with only a 12” bar and chain. I swapped the bar out for a .043 Stihl bar and chain. .050 is too big for this saw IMO.

I’m hearing a lot of good reviews about the little echo but I’m leaning towards the battery powered Stihl. Also has good reviews but is slightly heavier and less power but the thought of just grabbing it, checking the oil is full and go out into the yard and cut appeals to me.

Did some research Stihl has just released a newer version of the MSA 160T > 161T in the UK.
The newer version has 40% more chain speed, 15% more power, same weight and run time as the old version.
I'll now wait until the new version is released here, we are usually 3 - 6 months after Europe. Not 100% sure but it should be top dog over the Husky now.

I was looking at this 20v Dewalt. I have too many carbs to clean, so something maintenance free would be nice. Plus, I imagine there would be no reliability issues once you are already up the tree.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...tery-and-Charger-Included-DCCS620P1/301844173
capture-jpg.668931

Latest posts

Back