Choosing a top handle saw to replace my 009

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you already have batteries and charger then it would be a done deal. If you’re not invested in a line yet (like me) then I say do the research. I looked at going down the Makita path but the top handle is not too highly rated so now I’m looking at the Stihl O P E path.

The echo CS2511t is what I would buy if money was no option. But Jeff if you want a quality super-light affordable option take a look at the Japanese (Yamabiko corp) made Makita 231t. I have many top handles like 200t, 201t, MS150 and others but the two Makita 231t's I have I usually grab first. Much lighter than say a 200t with of coarse a lot less power but in wood up to 10" it does really well. You can buy them new or close to it on eBay for $100-200. New MSRP is $399-599 depending on where you look. The 2 I have I got for less than $150 each BNIB.

Thanks CR888, I see Bunnings has the little Makita for $250 standard price every day. I suspect it's because Makita is running out the older non emissions compliant stuff & I guess it will become obsolete not to be replaced (If our emissions rules mirror the US). I also hear a rumour that the DCS 7901 are currently selling for $999 same thing it will go to the 7910 version.
But that said I've now really warmed to the idea of the MSA 161, I also see they have new better battery released in the UK 4.0 hr/amp > 4.8 hr/amp same weight. My budget, or more to the point justifying what I'm willing to spend. It's slowly going up as the CAD grows stronger so I'd rather just buy what I want. I'm wondering if you have any experience with battery top handle saws or have one to compare to your little Makita.

Latest posts

Back