Choosing new 50cc saw, Dolmar, Husky, Stihl, Jonsereds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I went and checked this item to see what it went for. $455 for a used saw on ebay, not a super deal when I got a brand new one from a local shop for $480. Still, ebay and Craigslist are definitely worth checking for next time, just have to be careful to know your stuff and not to get sucked into a bidding war.

Yep, I paid $475 for my new one. Used 346s' on ebay get mighty close to new price and I've watched new ones go for well over $500.:msp_scared:

i believe it fits a large number of saws, but not any saw.
personally i have never felt the need for a saws case, but i can easily see that it is nice in some situations. :msp_smile:

Good point, I should have said it probably fits most saws in this size range (50cc) but not all. Really big saws won't fit and if you have a full wrap around handle it probably won't fit either. There may even be some smaller saws that don't fit for some reason but if it fits it is a nice case.

having a case is great; I`d love to have one; but if you go to a job with your saw in a case isn`t that similar with going with new gloves?

Maybe, except all of my gloves are old, oil soaked and well broken in (or otherwise half shredded) so doesn't that cancel out the having a case issue? :dunno:

I know, professional cutters don't use cases, but hey, I'm not a pro and to me the xp is an expensive tool that I'd rather not have stepped on, run over, dropped, etc if I can help it. I'll just have to step up and take the obligatory razzing for having a case. I can take it, I think.
:msp_razz:

In case?

I'm right behind you determining whether I want a case or not. I don't need one here at home, but when I run out to my Dad's or to our cabin in the mountains, I'd rather have something to keep it more stable in the back of my pick-up. I like the square Husky box, room for some tools, hearing protection, glasses, gloves, oil, ...

On the other hand, I could wack together a couple of scrap boards into a box that would hold the stuff in the back of my truck. Post your experience with that nice orange box.

Last edited:
Maybe, except all of my gloves are old, oil soaked and well broken in (or otherwise half shredded) so doesn't that cancel out the having a case issue? :dunno:

I know, professional cutters don't use cases, but hey, I'm not a pro and to me the xp is an expensive tool that I'd rather not have stepped on, run over, dropped, etc if I can help it. I'll just have to step up and take the obligatory razzing for having a case. I can take it, I think.
:msp_razz:

There's nothing wrong with wanting to keep your new saw as nice as possible. My new-to-me MS361 looks like it got bounced around a lot, but has few of the tell-tale signs that it was used much.

Dolmar review after 5 tanks

We are getting more than our share of our April showers, but I've cleaned up my oak firewood, and "delivered" a cord of un-split red oak to a down hill neighbor by rolling it down the hill to his backyard leanto. Easiest delivery ever. If I wasn't recovering my costs on the saw, I might have given a discount.

Then headed out to my Dad's place where he cuts black locust for firewood. He saved a bunch of stumps, and the big ends of several blow downs he couldn't cut with his saw. Still only five tanks of gas, but saw has been everything I wanted. Thanks again for all the advice.

Maybe, except all of my gloves are old, oil soaked and well broken in (or otherwise half shredded) so doesn't that cancel out the having a case issue?

I just duct taped the fingertips of all my gloves. LOL. Can't get rid of them till the palm wheres through.

I got the big brand new Husky box on Craigs List for $15. It is the only box I could find that was large enough for my Poulan 330. The only downside is that people will see it and think it is worth stealing! (of course it is a great saw but it does not have the market value of a 357 or 372XP) The crack addicts would be dissapointed when they open the box. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

:arg:
On a guitar forum I suggested that folks should use common beat-up cases for their nice guitars and use nice cases with the Big Brand Name on them for their less valuable guitars.

does 2-stroke oil quality matter. stihl hp ultra vs. dolmar synthetic

bought 6 pack of stihl hp ultra oil today for my Dolmar 5105. read the oil label and it says it is JASO FB and API TC/TC+ Ceritifications. the Dolmar meets or exceeds JASO FD and ISO EGD. My manual says if not using Dolmar oil to use synthetic with a quality rating of JASO FC or ISO EGD or better. did i make a mistake by buying the stihl oil for my saw? already opened and mixed 1 bottle so i cant return it now.. ive heard great things about the stihl oil, thats why i bought it.

Back