Christmas Giving 2015

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbert, I see you already liked my post. I haven't forgotten you wanted a good review of all the chain grinders that I have at my disposal. So far I will have the following in my review thread.

Stihl USG
511a
511ax
551462 Oregon (hydro lock ax)
Silvey 300
Silvey 510
NT 511a knock off

Eventually I'll probably be able to add the Foley Belsaw chainsaw chain sharp-all attachment and the MAXX grinder. I also picked up a stick of G-440 Kool-Grind badged with the Granberg name. It's a wax based grinding wheel lube. Never used it but supposed to work on 90% of all grinding applications to keep the grind cooler so you don't detemper the metal. The question is will it slow the grind and take longer...

Anyway stay tuned... Hope to have it up over Christmas.

Philbert, I see you already liked my post. I haven't forgotten you wanted a good review of all the chain grinders that I have at my disposal. So far I will have the following in my review thread.

Stihl USG
511a
511ax
551462 Oregon (hydro lock ax)
Silvey 300
Silvey 510
NT 511a knock off

Eventually I'll probably be able to add the Foley Belsaw chainsaw chain sharp-all attachment and the MAXX grinder. I also picked up a stick of G-440 Kool-Grind badged with the Granberg name. It's a wax based grinding wheel lube. Never used it but supposed to work on 90% of all grinding applications to keep the grind cooler so you don't detemper the metal. The question is will it slow the grind and take longer...

Anyway stay tuned... Hope to have it up over Christmas.
Shouldn't slow anything down if you sell on the cut your adding heat the longer the wheel contacts the hotter it gets.. think of a grinding wheel like a mill cutter its still cutting the material only the chips are smaller and the cutting edge dulls and breaks away to a new sharp one ..... The dust or swarf or whatever you want to call. It should look just like chips off a mill if you magnify it. The cool stick is like a sacrificial heat sink.... I always just keep the wheel dressed. Nice and clean and don't take a aggressive cut...... Files don't make near as much heat [emoji12]

Jesse

I would make sure that you came out ahead !
Can you get the coil ?
Thats the only piece of the puzzle that hasnt been overcome
Part number is
1144 400 1301
I can try and check whether it's awailable.
I'd need to know which saw the part is for and a IPL would be helpful as I have no knowledge nor information regarding any Stihl equipment.
This should be further addressed in another thread or via PM though so it doesn't polute this thread.

...I also picked up a stick of G-440 Kool-Grind badged with the Granberg name. It's a wax based grinding wheel lube. Never used it but supposed to work on 90% of all grinding applications to keep the grind cooler so you don't detemper the metal. The question is will it slow the grind and take longer...
It most likely will slow down the grinding process.
Any moisturazation or lubrication of a stone grinding wheel will cause the wheel to clog and become finer.

We are getting off topic here. But my understanding is that wax like Kool-Grind fills in the open spaces around the abrasive grit, keeping other junk from clogging it up.

Dressing the wheel exposes fresh, sharp abrasive grit, and removes rounded over, dull grit which rubs, instead of cuts, heating the cutter with additional friction.

Now, to get back on track, maybe some has some un-used Kool-Grind or abrasive wheels to gift?

Philbert

ok guys,,,,, I have a few more things to go,,,, give me some time to get the pics,, I feel like crap right now and only have good movement with my left arm,,, dang stroke got me this time,,,,, I have a good used wt215,, digital caliper and something else,,,, dang memory is gone,,,, I will get these items on by the end of the day

I did this last year and I'll do it again this year. Every year, My wife and I donate money to a good cause. Our friends lost their child at 18 months to stage 4 Neuroblastoma. As strong parents, they've yielded a positive outcome and have formed this foundation to help other families in similar situations.
http://nathansangels.com/
I have a set of stainless spikes for the 346xp, same set I gave away last year. I have these listed on ebay so I ask for a fair contribution as shipping is around $6 to the 48. Proceeds will be included with our donation. If interested, please PM me and we can work out the details. Thank you

ok guys,,,, the digital calipers got claimed,,,, I have a wt215 but it WILL need a kit and 2 brand new spindle/blade nuts off the x300 john deere that blew up on me,, I think you can see the part number on the bag,,,, free for the taking,, shipping on my dime,,, best to pm me to let me know you want them
IMG_2026.JPG IMG_2028.JPG

That is unreal.

From this side going into the US we are treated as criminals, vehicle searched and each individual interrogated /questioned as to why, when going into and when coming back where going,where staying, whom you are meeting, amount of money your carrying, if you have adequate funds to get home if an emergency arises and the list goes on and on. No fruit or vegetables going over, coming back, no hassle at all. They just ask how much money you have on your person.
and what you bought while over there.

I have crossed the border many dozens of times and our closest crossing is the worst of them all.

O and here's another surprise. And I gotta give props to homelite410 for letting me use his idea. Thanks bud. This one is going out to a lucky winner as lottery style. If you will actually use the knife post your name in the thread as you would in homelite410's lottery and my son or daughter will draw the winner from a hat on December 24th. Merry Christmas and good luck brothers. This is in Christmas thread because computer is down and had to use my phone but couldn't figure out how to do a link. Maybe someone could help and change it. If need be. View attachment 470963View attachment 470964View attachment 470965
Stihlsawing
Clemsonfor

This situation regarding Canada/USA crossings is interesting. I hesitate to go to Canada for recreation because of all the hassles I've had going into Canada. Vehicle searches on most entries, lots of questions and same questions asked 8 different ways, etc. I do a lot of international travel and rarely get grilled as thoroughly as I do when entering Canada. So I basically avoid the place and spend my money elsewhere.

This situation regarding Canada/USA crossings is interesting. I hesitate to go to Canada for recreation because of all the hassles I've had going into Canada. Vehicle searches on most entries, lots of questions and same questions asked 8 different ways, etc. I do a lot of international travel and rarely get grilled as thoroughly as I do when entering Canada. So I basically avoid the place and spend my money elsewhere.
How far would it be to just go through an unmanned crossing? I have heard they exist but I dont know never been within a few hundred miles of canada?

I think it varies by location.

Up here you can take anything into Canada except dog food and potatoes. On the way back the US guards treat everyone like criminals.
I agree. When I took some hotdogs into Canada, no problem but on the way out I had to throw them away. SAME ONES!

How far would it be to just go through an unmanned crossing?
We used to have them in Minnesota - self-report at the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area.

Actually, there is a part of Minnesota that you can only get to by passing through Canada.

. . . I took some hotdogs into Canada, no problem but on the way out I had to throw them away.

Those franks could have been radicalized in a foreign country. . . .

Philbert

All saws and parts have to go through customs, guess they check them for contraband and then access their value and set the fees associated with them crossing the border.
I just shipped a saw to Canada last week . they asked all kinds of questions for customs and taxes .

Back