Clean up of 034 jug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ents

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Decided to try and clean up this 034 jug and piston. After pulling them they don't look that bad (looked worse looking thru exhaust). So how do you go about cleaning the jug? I'm pretty sure I need a ball hone but what size? This is a 46mm jug but Baileys shows 45, 48, and 51mm hones. Which one.

Now the piston. First, how to press that wrist pin out. Don't have any specialty tools. Cleaning the piston, how and with what? New rings or use old rings? What else?

Gonna try to attach some pictures of jug and piston. Bear with me.

cyl wal.JPGpiston top.JPG piston.JPG cyl wal2.JPG

There is a lot of carbon at the top of the jug. Curious as to getting that clean as well as the carbon on the piston. Pretty sure the piston can be scrapped off but how to get to the top of the jug.

Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day.

Fred

I wouldn't use a home and risk cutting through the chrome or nikisil, whichever a 034 has. I used spray carb cleaner and scotchbrite to clean my clyinder. Carb cleaner and and old toothbrush on the piston. You have to get one of the retainer circlips out out the piston before you can push the pin out.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Use something like a dental pick to get one circlip out. Keep your finger on it at all times, because when it pops out it can fly across the room and disappear. Your set of drill bits provides a nice set of graduated drifts. Find one of the right diameter to just go through the side with the circlip in it. Use a plastic or leather mallet on the pointed end to drive the piston pin out. You won't need a hone for the cylinder. Use the flapper method posted by mastermind to clean up the cylinder. Most or all the linear dark vertical marks are aluminum transfer from the piston. Strong acid or alkali can also be used to dissolve it. I use a slurry of NaOH and water because it is more pleasant to work with compared to muriatic acid.

Got the piston out no problem. My worry was not the clips but the pin. Figured I would have to press it out some way. Shouldn't have worried since it came out with little to no resistance. I would think that wrist pin should be harder to get out. Interesting find here. I thought I was working on a 034 AV, 46mm. Turns out that piston is 48mm making this 034 a super. No indication on the badge that it was a super. One would think it should be marked as such. Anyway, decided to replace the piston and roller bearing. So, onward and forward. Later and have a great day.

That cylinder looks great! A pad of red scotchbrite spun in there with a drill will get it looking like new.
Agree, those marks look like carbon streaks. Clean carbon off piston and cylinder, new rings and run it. That wrist pin is stuck from carbon residue, soak in carb cleaner and tap it out with a dowel, or I use a large t-handle that just fits on pin to tap it out.

Back