Cleaning Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RES

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have a magic formula for cleaning the grunge that sticks to chains? I tried soaking them in paint thinner but that didn't work. I don't think a solvent that dissolves oil is the answer.

Diesel fuel works good.
The best why to fight the grunge though is to keep you chain sharp. The stuff the builds up on the chain is partially burnt resin and sap that clings to the chain when it gets hot from being run dull. Thats is unless your cutting some kind of nasty resonous tree, which I have never seen in MI.

RES said:
Does anyone have a magic formula for cleaning the grunge that sticks to chains? I tried soaking them in paint thinner but that didn't work. I don't think a solvent that dissolves oil is the answer.

Yes... Just use "Purple Cleaner" or "Purple Power" at 2:1 to 4:1 dilution (water). You can get it at any auto store. Washes off in water (after a couple of minutes to penetrate). I use it at 4:1 in a plastic spray bottle to get the very nasty Doug fir/hemlock/spruce pitch and junk off bars and saws. Works like "magic", but don't let it dry on Alumimum or Magnesium cases.

I use the purple stuff also, but undiluted. It dissolves all the gunk. Be careful, it has a mild acid in it, and has to be rinsed off thoroughly. Use rubber gloves and goggles too.

Ash leaves a brownish resin on the chain, a few cuts in oak or maple and it's clean as a whistle.

DocBob said:
I use the purple stuff also, but undiluted. It dissolves all the gunk. Be careful, it has a mild acid in it, and has to be rinsed off thoroughly. Use rubber gloves and goggles too.

It's actually a strong alkaline... (Sodium Hydroxide I think) with nice wetting agent. I dilute it just in case it does get on bare aluminum/mag. Does work great at full strength though, but be carefull and quick. Won't affect the steel in a chain though - When I'm trying to restore an old vintage chain, I soak them overnight in a bucket sometimes..

i use and ultrasonic cleaner for my chains. they come out just like new. in about 8mins.

mugsyboy said:
i use and ultrasonic cleaner for my chains. they come out just like new. in about 8mins.

I use the purple power (diluted 4:1) in the ultrasonic cleaner - yes, works great. Restored some 1960's Homelite and McCulloch chains that were really messed up. Just for Museum pieces, not cutting:)

Also works well to remove the muck off chains that have been used on railways ties and bridge timbers.

Back