Cleaning fluid and procedures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoldwizard1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Most of my small engine experience has been with B&S 4 stroke engine. Incredibly simple and easy to work on. Most single cylinder B&S engine, either vertical or horizontal shaft, have very few 'housing"/shrouds/cover piece and. because of the nature of the beast, heavy oil caked external "sludge" is usually not too bad.

As noted in my other posts, I am in the middle of replacing the flywheel side crank seal. Under the rewind mechanism/cover the engine was an oily/dirty mess. I took the "lazy" way out and used a lot of brake cleaner (almost 2 cans) to blast most of it off and blue paper towels to wipe up the mess. Now I understand that most 2 strokes are going to have some external oil/dirt build up just because of their nature (I run 48:1 Stihl synthetic oil), but a bad crank seal and years of neglect, made mine was especially bad.

What is your preferred solvent and process for cleaning under the housings/shrouds ? (Dad was old school. Gasoline and a toothbrush !)

I like a Rustoleum product called Krud Kutter. Buy the concentrate, not the kitchen version. I mix it 50:50 with hot water and go to town with a tooth brush. Rinse will water.

Most of my small engine experience has been with B&S 4 stroke engine. Incredibly simple and easy to work on. Most single cylinder B&S engine, either vertical or horizontal shaft, have very few 'housing"/shrouds/cover piece and. because of the nature of the beast, heavy oil caked external "sludge" is usually not too bad.

As noted in my other posts, I am in the middle of replacing the flywheel side crank seal. Under the rewind mechanism/cover the engine was an oily/dirty mess. I took the "lazy" way out and used a lot of brake cleaner (almost 2 cans) to blast most of it off and blue paper towels to wipe up the mess. Now I understand that most 2 strokes are going to have some external oil/dirt build up just because of their nature (I run 48:1 Stihl synthetic oil), but a bad crank seal and years of neglect, made mine was especially bad.

What is your preferred solvent and process for cleaning under the housings/shrouds ? (Dad was old school. Gasoline and a toothbrush !)
Your father was a smart man. Nothing cleans better than "The Universal Solvent". Keep in mind any cleaner for oil is flammable/volatile. otherwise it wont work. Mineral spirits works OK. Some of the "Super'' cleaners, which appear to be very alkaline based will attack the aluminum/magnesium. The tackifier in the bar oil makes a formidable adhesive when it gets cooked on and yes it get EVERYWHERE. Including in your lungs. Whatever you decide, you will need a lot of the chosen solvent. I would recommend getting a good stiff parts washer brush. Second choice is an old whisk broom with trimmed bristles. Both are spark-less.
The brush wont harm anything and is as important as the solvent.

00f6fa59c5ceefcf90e939eeaa76cda6.jpg

Latest posts

Back