Clogger Zero Pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
'Zero chainsaw pants' sounds like guys out cutting in their shorts and flip-flops (something we have all seen). For Clogger, it implies pants that are so light, cool, and flexible, that they almost feel weightless, especially when compared to some other protective products

I am normally a 'chaps guy': I put them on when I cut, and take them off when doing other stuff. But, after reviewing the Clogger chaps, they suggested I check out their protective pants too. Chainsaw protective pants are often preferred by those who wear them all day, and especially by climbers, since straps, buckles, etc., can get snagged on branches, tangled with harnesses, etc. So arborists are a key market. Apparently, they are also preferred in Europe.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/clogger-chainsaw-chaps-evaluation.341572/
I tried a pair of chainsaw pants a number of years ago. They were made with nylon that reminded me of rain pants in the front, and some type of mesh panel in the back. The protective pads were about as thick as those on chaps. They were somewhat bulky and noisy when I walked. They were kind of hot in the front, and I got a breeze through the back. I really wanted to take them off at lunch, but I did not have the foresight to wear gym shorts, or something similar, underneath. I did not keep that pair.

IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg

These pants are very different.
Philbert

Clogger offers several different styles of pants, including some designed to hold up to heavier use and abrasion by groundies; summer and 'all season' versions; and women's specific designs. The pair I received are the 'Zero Gen2 Light and Cool Men's Arborist Chainsaw Pants', intended to provide flexibility for climbing, and for use in warmer weather.
https://goclogger.com/clogger-zero-mens-chainsaw-pants/
Frankly, these are very cool and professional looking, with a few Hi-Viz accents (a mostly orange version is also available). Clogger uses a lot of high tech fabrics on the outside, and their 'Arrestex HP' protective material, which meets chainsaw protection standards with less bulk.

IMG_0153.jpgIMG_0154.jpg
With four-way stretch fabric in the seat, front of thighs (down to knees) and back of leg (down to calves), the pants are very comfortable, and allow a very good range of movement. But they fit differently than jeans, with a very short rise in the front, which took a little getting used to. I wore them around the house, out walking the dog, etc., to see how they really fit. I never really forgot that I had them on: the protective pads feel like wearing a thick pair of sweat pants, and I got an occasional breeze through the fixed side vents (which feels like your pants are torn, if you are not expecting it!). But I was in no hurry to take them off.

The elastic, rear waistband, and stretchy fabric create a slim, comfortable fit, even for 'mature' figures like mine. The standard inseam on the pair I received, chosen to fit my waist, was about 2 inches too long for me. Clogger says a little extra length helps when climbing to allow full range of knee and leg motion, and since a harness can make the leg ride up a bit.

They also offer custom sizing, and at least one of their sizing charts lists a 'short leg' option, which might have better suited me. If you don't have the opportunity to try these on at a store, it might be best to contact them directly before ordering to get the right fit.

The lower portion of each leg is a heavier, non-stretchy, fabric, which is more abrasion resistant. A small, metal hook at the bottom cuffs can hook into your boot laces to keep the pant legs in place.

IMG_0151.jpg

There are two, slim, zippered pockets on each side, along with a third, Velcro-closure pocket further down on the left leg. These are large enough to securely hold things like keys, wallet, cell phone, etc., without bulging, but would not hold things like wedges, screnches, or other bulky items. There are no rear pockets.

These Zero pants can be machine washed (warm) and hung to dry.
IMG_0155.jpg

Philbert

Now I'm 'gonna have to go cut some stuff to try these things in use (not the cut resistance part, hopefully). Big differences between these and the protective pants I tried before. I can't compare them against other, current brands, but they have come a long way in design, fabrics / materials, and thought from my first pair.

I am unlikely to climb, so would I have been better matched with their more durable 'Defender' pants, designed to hold up better to brush, abrasion from carrying logs, etc.? Perhaps. But there is an argument to be made for this lightweight, highly breathable style on the ground. Most of us do not expect to get cut from a running saw, and many of us would prefer to cut in jeans if we could 'get away with it'. So, a lightweight, comfortable, protective garment could be the bridge between 'have to' and 'want to' for general cutting activities.

This pair is designed for cutting it hotter weather, with thin, breathable outer fabrics. It feels like I have room for long underwear underneath, if I want to use them in colder weather: might have to put some duct tape, or Post-It Notes over the vents.

I would be interested to hear from users of protective pants (any brand), what they like about them, what they dislike, etc. Also, aside from a chainsaw strike, what wears out first: seats, knees, crotches, etc.

Philbert

. . . I'm usually walking trail long distance to get to tree clearing.
I certainly would not want to hike long distances in conventional chaps, due to their weight, bulk, etc. But I would not have any problem trail hiking in a pair of protective pants like these. Offers the option of not having to put chaps on, or change clothes, when you get to your cutting location: less to carry. Also, depends somewhat on the type of cutting you do once you get there. Lots of preference issues - good to have choices.

Philbert

I've a pair of clogger's "ascend" pants, which are basically the spoilers/hoodscoops/fender flares version of the zero (i mean: more pockets/lower leg reinforcement and adjustment/beavertail waistband to hide your plumber's decollete. oh and suspender buttons). Mine are the "all season" variant, which I'd recommend in preference to post it notes over the vents on the light and cool: they have zippered vents.
I like:
+ the zip pockets farther down the thigh than "regular" front pockets, makes total sense the moment you put a harness on; they're right below the leg straps, and useful, not hidden under your waist belt and useless. (mine are Gen1 so no back pocket for me but I suspect this applies to the angled back pocket on the Gen 2 also)
+ the fit, omg the fit. They actually fit like a lot of european jeans/work pants or some of the kevlar-reinforced motorbike pants: tight around the knee in the way you want when your knee is bent (no rolls of material pinching off blood vessels), plenty of room for Calves Of Steel and work boots but with a narrow cuff so you don't drag the extra length (which you will need when you "assume the position" yay) around when you walk upright (also yay) and, like a good lawyer or well tailored suit jacket, they cover your arse. When you squat, bend over or perch on a branch, things their intended audience probably do a lot of, you don't curse the seams or fry any half-moons into yer half moons (or ankles, for that matter).
+ serial number. I've never had chaps, only these, so I'm not sure if its notable or runofthemill that this bit of PPE can be batch traced and reevaluated in light of incidents in the field the way carabiners or harnesses can, but it makes me feel good about giving these guys money to know that they care what happens to my, actual, specific pants.

I dislike:
- the fabric (of the "normal" part, the tough bits are fine). I used to buy mountainbike clothes mail order (when that was avant garde) from NZ and the company had a penchant for this lightweight/breathable/moistureblardeybla fabric that was slightly elasticised and seemed great on paper but always ended up going slightly baggy, hard feeling and actually-not-that-breathable after a bit of exposure to sun and sweat and several washes. These feel a lot like that (and yes, I have wondered if Clogger is/is staffed by what used to be Ground Effect Clothing) so I'm less than thrilled at the prospect of revisiting that experience 25 years later with a garment that cost 10x what I paid for those MTB shirts. They also sweat bleached horrendously, by the way... It is basically a hiking-style fabric so your backcountry wandering should be right up it's engineered-textile alley: if you're not hot in jeans you shouldn't be in these.
- all mine. not these specifically, but all pants (vs chaps), you can't exactly pass around if you're showing someone how to cut this or that and sharing a saw. Fine if you're a pro at work, but ef me I'm not spending another $200 on chaps just to show a mate how to buck a log and have him help me for a day!

my take on sizing: use the Clogger size chart "jeans equivalent": I wear a 36 Lee/Wrangler/Diesel/whatever and although I'm tall most regular inseams are just fine (don't mind a bit extra though). That makes me a Large for the clogger pants and indeed that is The Right Size for me. They are action-man pants for action men and women though, so don't expect a lot of extra fabric around the bendy bits but at the same time no need to skip leg day...

Car dashboard says 85°F. NWS says 88°F and 57° dew point. Outside thermometer says 96°F. Dog says he's staying inside with the window A/C. Hot and sweaty any way you look at it. Of course, I have to be be outside, scrounging through a neighbor's brush pile, before the chipper comes; I need some limbs to test a few saws and chains, and this is a close to home delivery as I can reasonably ask for.

Pull out my Clogger ZEROs. I am not going to say that I did not know that I had them on: can certainly feel the protective pads in the front. But a whole lot better than jeans and conventional chaps. The front rise still feels a bit short, but they felt fine with a pair of suspenders. Also liked the cool back and the freedom of movement in these temps.

Philbert

"*Win a pair of Clogger Zeros!*
(worth RRP $340 USD)
Hanging out for a fresh pair of Zeros? We are giving you the chance to win a pair – and there are 2 pairs to be won!
Winner can choose any men's or women's sizing option and the colour option they would like.
*How to enter*
1️⃣
Like ‘Clogger’ on Facebook
2️⃣
Tag 3 friends in the comments
- Competition will be open from 12pm NZST 08/07/2021 – 5pm NZST 22/07/2021"

Philbert

"*Win a pair of Clogger Zeros!*
(worth RRP $340 USD)
Hanging out for a fresh pair of Zeros? We are giving you the chance to win a pair – and there are 2 pairs to be won!
Winner can choose any men's or women's sizing option and the colour option they would like.
*How to enter*
1️⃣
Like ‘Clogger’ on Facebook
2️⃣
Tag 3 friends in the comments
- Competition will be open from 12pm NZST 08/07/2021 – 5pm NZST 22/07/2021"

Philbert

But you have to want a pair of Zero's. I have Arbmax and Arcmax but not Zero's, tried a pair on and to be honest- not a huge fan of the style.
Now if I was climbing in warmer climates- maybe, but not for me- I will give everyone else a fair go and not enter this one! :laugh:

I got a pair or their pants and chaps last year and love them. Main thing is they are comfortable enough I wear them. I keep the chaps In the truck for when an unexpected cutting job comes up like last Tuesday. I was pulling my trailer load of trimmings through our clubs road and had to cut my way through due to a big dead tree that fell.

Philbert reminded me of this thread. I decided to oblige his request and update with my thoughts.

I recently decided to jump into the chainsaw pants thing after a recent discussion about safty, and me not wearing my chaps as often as I should. Most of this I credit from them being bulky and hot.
I purchased the defender pro all season pants. These are said to be better for ground work, which is 90% of what I do, as I rarely climb anymore. They came directly from clogger. Shipping was pretty quick. I had them in under a week from time of placing the order.

They showed up well packaged, with a bonus beanie, some paper work, and a small patch of fabric. Initial impressions were overall good. They seem very well made.

10/22/2022
I donned my cloggers this morning after waking up, and realized they don't have rear pockets! Kinda shocked me. Front pockets were big enough to fit my wallet in, so off I went about my day. They are pretty hot to wear. The legs particularly. The fabric over your arse is super thin, and a slight breeze is noticed imediatly lol. I like the little vents in the legs. Between them and the thin back fabric they arnt too bad to wear. Didn't do any actual sawing today, but plenty of splitting and I can say, besides being a bit warm they are very comfortable and fit well.
I got a medium size. I'm 5'9" 210 lbs. 34"x 32" pants normally, and these fit real well. So far I like them, besides missing a rear pocket. Well and a wedge pocket like my chaps have would have been nice too... im more likely to wear these then my chaps.

Attachments

• 20221020_181906.jpg
    20221020_181906.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221020_181922.jpg
    20221020_181922.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221020_181926.jpg
    20221020_181926.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back