Cloggin' up with noodles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone hungry for some good ole homemade noodles? OK, the kind I'm talking about are a little chewy. I'm having an issue when quartering up bigger pieces of firewood with my 460. Quartering the same wood with my 361 isn't an issue. The noodles flow right out of the 361 but not the 460. I have to cut at an anlge with the 460 to keep the chips flowing. What's up with that?

You will make better time if you cut at about a 30 to 45 degree with the grain.I usually use a big old geardrive to rip with simpley because the discharge chute is larger.The Frence fries flow like shavings from a wood planer.

Use skip chain (if you're not already). Your feed rate is too high.. you're just making more noodles than you can flush... I have to be careful on my 361, and my 440, and particularly on my 066. It definitely depends on the wood.

I bucked up a couple of big trees yesyterday, and being old and feeble, I didn't want to pound them for the first split; I cut every round over 12 inches though to the center ;)

Last edited:
Same RS or RSC chain on both saws. Is the 460 cover just more prone to clogging? The only other thing I can think of is that the 460 turns 14,600 where as the 361 turn 13,500 since it's stock. Is there a cover for the 460 that will flow better?

Skip chain seems to flow better, but your basic probem is too many noodles/second.

You're likely cuttiing MUCH faster IN the wood with the 460 than the 361... you'd better be...

The 460 cover doesn't clog more easily.

Last edited:
Try holding the saw upside down and cutting with the top of the bar, kicks the chips away from the saw. I do it, works great with any saw.

Clearance:

I assume you also reversed your handle bar ?

No, I use wrap handled saws mostly, you can do it without a wrap handle as well. Thats how I solved the problem, all on my own. You don't have to thank me, try it sometime.

Anyone hungry for some good ole homemade noodles? OK, the kind I'm talking about are a little chewy. I'm having an issue when quartering up bigger pieces of firewood with my 460. Quartering the same wood with my 361 isn't an issue. The noodles flow right out of the 361 but not the 460. I have to cut at an anlge with the 460 to keep the chips flowing. What's up with that?

The 361 is perfect for that work, but the 460 should also be - anyway, you should adjust the angle of attack to the saw you use...

Btw, the 372xp is pretty good at that as well, but needs more angle than the 361.

The 5100S is perfect as well, in smaller wood - the 353 and 346xp are useless (outboard clutch).

Last edited:
Clearance:

Just joking around a little. Friday=end of week. I put a 3/4 wrap on my Stihl 440 and know what you are talking about. I have a full wrap on a Husky so even more to hold on to.

Something else

I do all my splittin' by hand also, and by saw of course... I keep my saw at a 45 degree angle until I absolutely have to take off the angle. I also don't press on it at all when I'm ripping like that. I find that the noodles are longer if I press down at all and they clog much easier. Those are just 2 things I've noticed. The same happens on my big/small huskys, Stihl's and Dolmars dude, so it's not a particular brand or size so you know... Hope that helps eh?

:cheers: eh?

Get an old clutch cover and cut the bottom half of the back out, just use it when making noodles, you wont like it much in normal use.

Use skip chain (if you're not already). Your feed rate is too high.. you're just making more noodles than you can flush... I have to be careful on my 361, and my 440, and particularly on my 066. It definitely depends on the wood.

I bucked up a couple of big trees yesyterday, and being old and feeble, I didn't want to pound them for the first split; I cut every round over 12 inches though to the center ;)

I can just see ya with your measuring tape amd calipers measuring the wood!!!!!:dizzy: :dizzy: :clap:

Latest posts

Back