Clones, copies and other such nefarious activities

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozhoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have come to a screeching halt on eBay. I'll admit to hocking some fine looking saws. Some may have noticed my 460's recently on eBay... till I drew the attention of the mother ship.

So, word the wise, build for your own pleasure but keep them to yourself.

The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, Andreas Stihl AG & Co. KG - Stihl Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

This chain saw is an unauthorized copy of the MS 460. It not only violates the color trademark registered by STIHL for chain saws (US registration 2,821,860) but also does not meet the strict quality and emissions standards of the United States. The use of these products represents a danger to the consumer and the environment. Customers falsely believe these are genuine STIHL chain saws due to the colors, product name (MS 460) and resemblance of the parts. We respectfully request the removal of these products.

We encourage you to contact Andreas Stihl AG & Co. KG - Stihl Inc. directly if you have any questions.

You can send an email to:
[email protected]

Have come to a screeching halt on eBay. I'll admit to hocking some fine looking saws. Some may have noticed my 460's recently on eBay... till I drew the attention of the mother ship.

So, word the wise, build for your own pleasure but keep them to yourself.

The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, Andreas Stihl AG & Co. KG - Stihl Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

This chain saw is an unauthorized copy of the MS 460. It not only violates the color trademark registered by STIHL for chain saws (US registration 2,821,860) but also does not meet the strict quality and emissions standards of the United States. The use of these products represents a danger to the consumer and the environment. Customers falsely believe these are genuine STIHL chain saws due to the colors, product name (MS 460) and resemblance of the parts. We respectfully request the removal of these products.

We encourage you to contact Andreas Stihl AG & Co. KG - Stihl Inc. directly if you have any questions.

You can send an email to:
[email protected]

Was it completely aftermarket or just had a few aftermarket parts on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought if the patent ran out than it could be copied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading title states "modeled after" but this could be a gray area. Item condition states "new", if listed as "new other" or "seller refurbished" then possibly ok.

The text is pretty clear but I can see from the photos used how Stihl could be concerned. People tend to look at photos more than reading the text. So if the buyer resells this as a genuine Stihl product and something goes wrong, they would have a bad impression of Stihl. I see no problem selling it as long as there is no reference to Stihl. Simply state that it is made from AFTM components, engine size, etc., but no reference to STIHL.

I dont know how anyone can get away with selling something like this. It is clearly a copy of a Stihl and the seller admits this. I highly doubt that it would pass any current emissions test that other new saws have to pass. Maybe if it was a different colour with farmertec stickers on it and then used and sold as second hand it could be sold without any problems.

Latest posts

Back