Clones, copies and other such nefarious activities

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you could just remove the labels and put some plain ones on it. If they banned saws with aftermarket parts on them there wouldn't be very many sellers of saws on ebay including myself. I've kinda gone away from selling many saws anyway, this Spring I've spent more time repairing customer's saws..

IMHO, they should be illegal to import.

Full disclosure I sell a ton of aftermarket parts.

I agree as far as entire saws, but i think the benefit of aftermarket parts overall is too great to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Ebay requires the manufacturer be listedon all chainsaw parts, but alot of sellers make stuff up or use their own company name to hide where their parts come from.
That is a red flag for me as a buyer.

I thought if the patent ran out than it could be copied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AFAIK - Chinese law allows a company to make parts for themselves or anyone else after a contract to make parts with a company expires.
That's why models that were manufactured in China at some point pop up way quicker in the aftermarket

I would expect that any whole goods (saws, trimmers, etc) and anything that uses the Stihl name at all other than as a reference to fitment, will be banned systematically.
I would lay dollars to donuts that eBay pulls any listing requested by Stihl or the EPA or OSHA.
Also expect to see items labelled as "better than OEM" or" as good as OEM" banned as well.
They told me if OEM is used in the title at all it must be the OEM item.
They are giving us some time to change them but even a title like "replaces OEM #blah blah blah" is forbidden.
They want OEM to be a useful search term for buyers and not a key word for sellers to push hits.

The best place for a fake saw or clone is in the hands of someone building for fun, when they otherwise would not buy an original. They have no place - if you ask me - be peddled, traded or sold for profit.

I support Stihl and ebay on this. The reality is the listing was little more than a well thought out counterfeit listed with just enough information with *hopes* to circumvent the rules.

I wouldn't assume, either, that complete saws are fine. That's just sore apples that the other guy didn't get caught and you did.

I'm kinda wondering that all the knock-off saws might make our OEM stuff actually worth more! I do kinda like the green and white 090 or 070, whatever it is. The Husqvarna people would have no trouble telling the 365 saw pictured as a knock off. I own a 362XP and the plastic looks different.

I'm kinda wondering that all the knock-off saws might make our OEM stuff actually worth more! I do kinda like the green and white 090 or 070, whatever it is. The Husqvarna people would have no trouble telling the 365 saw pictured as a knock off. I own a 362XP and the plastic looks different.
I bought them the 365s to use i had a pile of oem part's built up over the year's i would never sell them you guy's are missing out lol I've been modding them bought some bailey's full wraps and have been using them for a couple of month's ported a huztl bigbore kit for one and a huztl 50mm 372 for the other they didn't cost much and are fun to modify without worrying about the cost it was less than beaten oem saws.20170217_151541.jpg

I don't have a problem with any of them, just said I could tell them apart. Your Husqvarna probably out cuts mine as mine hasn't even been started for about a year. Had a bunch of wood back then, don't have any now. I have to go out where it's stored and wipe it off every now and then..

that is a sweet design... I wonder if it runs and cuts as good as the originals. that would be sweet.

They made 070's and 090's in Waiblingen up to 2001, when production was moved to Brazil. Due to lack of chain brake and no emission control these saws were reserved for "emerging markets".
I keep on hearing rumors both models are still manufactured in Brazil but I haven't been able to confirm or deny it. The most recent piece of news I got was an Australian chap had seen a bunch of factory fresh 070's in a warehouse in Port Moresby (PNG) in 2013, ready for delivery to a logging operation. Could have been old stock recovered from some warehouse though.

As these saws are often associated with illegal logging operations, it's understandable Stihl wants to keep very quiet about it.

They made 070's and 090's in Waiblingen up to 2001, when production was moved to Brazil. Due to lack of chain brake and no emission control these saws were reserved for "emerging markets".
I keep on hearing rumors both models are still manufactured in Brazil but I haven't been able to confirm or deny it. The most recent piece of news I got was an Australian chap had seen a bunch of factory fresh 070's in a warehouse in Port Moresby (PNG) in 2013, ready for delivery to a logging operation. Could have been old stock recovered from some warehouse though.

As these saws are often associated with illegal logging operations, it's understandable Stihl wants to keep very quiet about it.
I will ask todd stihl working hard i think he said they were still available in bali the 070s he buys 381s there.

Latest posts

Back