Clones, copies and other such nefarious activities

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me and several others have been using aftermarket for some time now, mostly on the 390 Stihl. I have a few that I've made up for people wanting them. I have one I've kept for myself and it actually cuts pretty good. It's about half and half Stihl and AM. I think the crankshaft and engine housing are Stihl, maybe a few other parts..039-1.JPG I know it says "290."

Me and several others have been using aftermarket for some time now, mostly on the 390 Stihl. I have a few that I've made up for people wanting them. I have one I've kept for myself and it actually cuts pretty good. It's about half and half Stihl and AM. I think the crankshaft and engine housing are Stihl, maybe a few other parts..View attachment 571203 I know it says "290."
Hell, that one should make Oregon mad!!!

They made 070's and 090's in Waiblingen up to 2001, when production was moved to Brazil. Due to lack of chain brake and no emission control these saws were reserved for "emerging markets".
I keep on hearing rumors both models are still manufactured in Brazil but I haven't been able to confirm or deny it. The most recent piece of news I got was an Australian chap had seen a bunch of factory fresh 070's in a warehouse in Port Moresby (PNG) in 2013, ready for delivery to a logging operation. Could have been old stock recovered from some warehouse though.

As these saws are often associated with illegal logging operations, it's understandable Stihl wants to keep very quiet about it.
My friend Todd says they are available in bali about 1300.00 us for the 070s the 381s were a little over 500.00 i think he said and he bought one of the 381s.

Stihl won a patent infringement case in China based solely on their colors, color combination. They just have to litigate each case. One selling tactic that is used is decoy colors in the ads or blurry photos. Stihl has a cyber team, doubt it huge. I am told they worry the hound out of the Alibaba type marketplace's sellers. Alibaba requires them to answer each inquiry and they ask for a lot.

A nice royal blue cover in the photo. Description stating orange grey with included snap on badge might be the ticket. Never sold anything so don't have any experience to advise.

Anyone using aftermarket parts on their cars?

How about all those Ferrari-red Pontiac Fieros sporting Ferrari logos? Well, those aren't copies, are they?

The problem is not really the Stihl logo but the fact that almost all parts on the saws are 100% design copies - just like the Gucci handbags.

So, it won't really help to remove the logos and repaint the saws red or purple. But it should be OK to sell real Stihl saws (existing serial numbers on the crank case) with a bunch of aftermarket parts on them.

You know that the American companies copy off each other when one of them comes up with something that sells well. You notice how almost all our cars look alike, I saw what I thought was a Ford Fusion on a car lot, turned out to be a Chevrolet Malibu..

As long as its clearly marked as a clone/aftermarket/kit, legally stihl have to suck the D and have no legal leg to stand on, If they did, Huztl/farmertec would be long gone.

Latest posts

Back